Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

$300 fine for ciggy butt!!

Old Nov 28th 2009, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $300 fine for ciggy butt!!

Originally Posted by scottishcelts

Smoking is my biggest pet hate, the smell being the worst thing for me, not to mention having to walk my kids through someone's killer cloud of chemical hell.

I want to kill when people smoke on beaches and leave the butts on the sand . Same goes for children's parks
Do you drive a car to that beach that gives out 100 times the carbon monoxide of a cigarette?

Oh strange isn't it, you all spume out toxic fumes into the air, but cigarettes are the target de jour

Wise up, you'll be targeted next by the government,

JTL
Old Nov 28th 2009, 12:58 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Whether you agree with smoking or not, or defend any individuals rights to - you only have to remember those that lost their lives in the Victorian Bushfires last year to know that anyone chucking a lit cigarette butt out of a car window deserves to be fined.

Okay so nothing happened this time (except you got caught) - maybe you'll think twice the next time and hopefully not just because you might get caught again.

IMO $300 is not enough.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 12:59 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Do you drive a car to that beach that gives out 100 times the carbon monoxide of a cigarette?

Oh strange isn't it, you all spume out toxic fumes into the air, but cigarettes are the target de jour

Wise up, you'll be targeted next by the government,

JTL
No, I walk to the beach actually JTL

Wise up?

That's rich
Old Nov 28th 2009, 1:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mo33
Probably get floored by the do-gooders but i don't care!
Got a $300 fine for throwing a ciggy butt out of the car window!! Robbing barstewards!!
Heard all the comments about startin a bushfire etc...... nowhere near any greenery. Anyway $300 would buy a lot of little baby trees from bunnings

Get a life and report those who are a real danger on the roads! Let me have a bloody smoke in peace.

Just bought an ashtray to put my butts in but the car stinks!
I don't know how long you've been in Australia, so maybe you don't realise that many fires which have been started by cigarette ends thrown from cars are not the kind of fire that just damages a few trees.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...3-1243,00.html

"A lot of little baby trees from bunnings " will not replace the hundreds of acres of devastation that can result from a carelessly discarded fag butt. And thats before you get to the wildlife and then the people who have also been killed in bushfires started the same way. Nothing to do with greenery either - much of Qld is brown and tinder-dry.

It really is nothing to do with being a do-gooder. Bushfire is a killer, and we all have a responsibility to try and prevent it where possible. Have a look back at the threads on here from last February and you may appreciate where we are coming from. Part of my job this year has been to read personal accounts from people who watched their friends and family die in the Victorian fires, very harrowing.

I pray to God you are never in the position that some people on here have been in - watching fires creep closer and trying to decide at what point to flee for their lives.

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 28th 2009 at 1:16 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

How did the ad campaign go? Ah, yes...

"Don't be a tosser!"
Old Nov 28th 2009, 3:03 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Got a $300 fine for throwing a ciggy butt out of the car window!! Robbing barstewards!!
Heard all the comments about startin a bushfire etc...... nowhere near any greenery. Anyway $300 would buy a lot of little baby trees from bunnings

Get a life and report those who are a real danger on the roads! Let me have a bloody smoke in peace.

Why didnt you take the butt end home and throw it in your garden? If you truly do not believe you are littering by throwing your butt end outside, then take it home and throw it in your garden instead.

And I also dont think it has to be near greenery to start a fire anyway, aside from the fact it is a fire hazard, you are also littering.

And I bet you wouldnt go to Bunnings to buy some baby trees anyway - had you not been caught and fined, you would no way have even thought of that.

If you want to have a smoke, then do it where it affects noone but yourself and do not throw your butt ends out of the window - throw them in your own house and garden.

Your car stinks? well that is your habit and your problem.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 6:34 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Well will you do it again ??

Then lesson learnt then init like other people have said its not nice and would you throw them in your own garden? didnt think so so why throw them to blow into some OP's garden ?

Anyway with the mobile phone talking / texting etc why have they said nothing about smoking ? cause how many people can ( sorry would / actually do) take there fag out the pack, get there lighter, an spark it up with at least one hand on thw wheel and there eyes on the road ?

Dougie
Old Nov 28th 2009, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

You were right.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all

GOOD !!! I'd like to pat them on the back for catching you doing it !!!
Like others have said ... HELOO ?? ..AUSTRALIA..BUSHFIRE RISK .....??????
And although i'm a native Pom ..I'm incredibly protective of my new home and i love how much cleaner it is than the UK . This obviously tells me that either the Aussies care more about their country and look after it better and/or the powers that be have great measures in place to protect it !!!
I know why dont you let us know where you live and we can all smoke a fag especially for you and dump it in your garden to make you feel at home ....
Old Nov 28th 2009, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

If some people didn't behave like dickheads and weren't so self-centred then these sort of fines would not be needed. Don't blame the state blame the dickheads who think they can shit in everyone's backyard.

The nanny state exists because a lot of adults don't act like grown ups.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 10:02 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
My dad was a very heavy smoker and always smoked in the car even when we were all in it. One day he lobbed his butt out of his window, the wind caught it and blew it back in the rear window, it landed behind my back and gave me a really nasty burn on my spine. Wasn't impressed then either.
That reminded me of a time in London, I threw my cigarette butt out the window, and it too flew back in the back window, setting my rear seat alight.........

But back on the initial topic:

Throwing cigarettes out of car windows can kill..
recently, it has become apparent that at least one of the Victorian bushfires was started by someone tossing an unextinguished cigarette out of a car.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...21/2497684.htm
173 people died from the Victorian Black Saturday Bush fires.

Old Nov 28th 2009, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
You were right.
. . . but she doesn't care apparently.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

GOOD, u flipping litter bug.

Last edited by The Flintstones; Nov 28th 2009 at 10:29 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 10:37 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: $300 fine for ciggy butt!!

Wouldn't have cost you a cent to use an ashtray.

Let me have a bloody smoke in peace.
Let me walk on footpaths that aren't littered with dead cigarette debris.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Only $300??? You got off cheap.

I thought smoking was a life sentence.....

WW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.