British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   $300 fine for ciggy butt!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/%24300-fine-ciggy-butt-642532/)

mo33 Nov 28th 2009 11:22 am

$300 fine for ciggy butt!!

Probably get floored by the do-gooders but i don't care!
Got a $300 fine for throwing a ciggy butt out of the car window!! Robbing barstewards!!
Heard all the comments about startin a bushfire etc...... nowhere near any greenery. Anyway $300 would buy a lot of little baby trees from bunnings

Get a life and report those who are a real danger on the roads! Let me have a bloody smoke in peace.

Just bought an ashtray to put my butts in but the car stinks!:)

Centurion Nov 28th 2009 11:32 am

Re: $300 fine for ciggy butt!!

Well glad you don't care because sorry to sound harsh but I personally think you deserve it. Devastating bush fire risk aside, littering fag ends on the roadside doesn't win many friends.

The Bloke Nov 28th 2009 11:36 am

Originally Posted by mo33 (Post 8130806)
Got a $300 fine for throwing a ciggy butt out of the car window!! Robbing barstewards!!
Heard all the comments about startin a bushfire etc...... nowhere near any greenery. Anyway $300 would buy a lot of little baby trees from bunnings

Get a life and report those who are a real danger on the roads! Let me have a bloody smoke in peace.

Guess you didn't have any kids in the car with you or they would have busted you for that too.....!

No 15 Nov 28th 2009 11:38 am

Got a $300 fine for throwing a ciggy butt out of the car window!!

GOOD

scottishcelts Nov 28th 2009 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 8130825)
Well glad you don't care because sorry to sound harsh but I personally think you deserve it. Devastating bush fire risk aside, littering fag ends on the roadside doesn't win many friends.

Hear hear, I completely agree.

Nu-Shooz Nov 28th 2009 11:47 am

Errr a smoker.

moneypenny20 Nov 28th 2009 11:49 am

Not a do gooder but I'm really pleased about this. Did you actually stop and think about whether there was greenery around before deciding to dump your rubbish out of the car or was it just luck?

Your car stinks? Who's fault is that?

JackTheLad Nov 28th 2009 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz (Post 8130864)
Errr a smoker.

I am a smoker/was a smoker. And I still say GOOD.

emelems Nov 28th 2009 12:02 pm

[QUOTE=mo33;8130806]Probably get floored by the do-gooders but i don't care!

Just bought an ashtray to put my butts in but the car stinks!:)[/QUOTE/]

300 bucks? :ohmy: nah, not impressed...

Em x

moneypenny20 Nov 28th 2009 12:03 pm

My dad was a very heavy smoker and always smoked in the car even when we were all in it. One day he lobbed his butt out of his window, the wind caught it and blew it back in the rear window, it landed behind my back and gave me a really nasty burn on my spine. Wasn't impressed then either.

comet555 Nov 28th 2009 12:10 pm

Totally agree with the others. I'm glad you got a fine for it. When I see people doing that it always irritates me, especially because you can see it land on the road and then blow right off onto the grass next to the road (still slightly lit up too).

You're the one that is smoking so you can deal with the smell. Littering is bad enough although I would think that throwing a small lit fire out the window is a lot worse.

I have no issues with someone smoking in their own car as long as there are no kids in it and the butts go in the ashtray. My parents were both heavy smokers and I inhaled quite a lot of smoke as a child.

JackTheLad Nov 28th 2009 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8130898)
My dad was a very heavy smoker and always smoked in the car even when we were all in it. One day he lobbed his butt out of his window, the wind caught it and blew it back in the rear window, it landed behind my back and gave me a really nasty burn on my spine. Wasn't impressed then either.

This might almost seem irrelevant. But it is not.

I just watched the first episode of the latest QI.

Do you know the biggest spider killers in Australia are the redback , and the funnell web spiders?

Did you know no-one has died from a spider bite in Australia since 1981?

Did you know the main way people die from spiders in Austalia is pulling down the sun visor and a red back drops out and the driver goes ooooH FEEECK and crashes.

JTL

sort of remided me of dropping cigarette ash in my crotch, therefore deemed relevant:p

abner Nov 28th 2009 12:21 pm

Well I'm a libertarian, and happy to defend your right to smoke in private, and I'd view 'in your own car' as within the private zone.

But...flicking your butt outside the car is where you start imposing on other folks: Not Good.

scottishcelts Nov 28th 2009 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8130898)

:ohmy:

Smoking is my biggest pet hate, the smell being the worst thing for me, not to mention having to walk my kids through someone's killer cloud of chemical hell.

I want to kill when people smoke on beaches and leave the butts on the sand :frown:. Same goes for children's parks :frown:

moneypenny20 Nov 28th 2009 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by scottishcelts (Post 8130929)
:ohmy:

Smoking is my biggest pet hate, the smell being the worst thing for me, not to mention having to walk my kids through someone's killer cloud of chemical hell.

I want to kill when people smoke on beaches and leave the butts on the sand :frown:. Same goes for children's parks :frown:

Car parks and side of roads where they've happily decided to empty their ashtrays :curse: I was a smoker, wouldn't have occurred to me to do that, or lob a butt out of the window (always remembered getting a burnt back).