Student Visa

Old Jul 17th 2009, 6:16 pm
AAB
Just Joined

AAB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student Visa

Just got accepted in the University for a Ph.D. program. What benefits would my husband have?

Also under a work permit, what will he be able to do (i.e. length of stay etc.)?

Thanks
Old Jul 18th 2009, 10:46 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student Visa

your work permit would not allow him to do anything. he would have to have his on.. but a student visa doesn't allow you to work (does it??).. and I doubt that a student visa for you would have anything to do with him either, except live here. I could be wrong.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

birthdaygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

How long did it take you to get your student visa, as I am applying one for my son and I live in hope that it will be before the start of term. Thank you in advance
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:55 pm
AAB
Just Joined

Sunniebgi,

That is what I thought but wasn't sure. I am not so concerned with the work permit at this time since the student visa will be in effect immediately once I arrive for studies.

I am not aware of how long it takes....sorry. my 1st time in the process of getting a student visa.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by birthdaygirl
How long did it take you to get your student visa, as I am applying one for my son and I live in hope that it will be before the start of term. Thank you in advance
Immigration usually like applications for Student Visas to be in by the end of the previous term to give them time to process them all.

However, saying that, most schools will accept a copy of your receipt as proof that it is in the system if the visa is not stamped in the passport on the first day of term.

Have you put your application in yet? You know you have to get it signed and stamped by your school, then take it to Dept of Education and then to Immigration. DoE can keep the application for a while at times too...

Shines
Old Jul 20th 2009, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AAB
Sunniebgi,

That is what I thought but wasn't sure. I am not so concerned with the work permit at this time since the student visa will be in effect immediately once I arrive for studies.

I am not aware of how long it takes....sorry. my 1st time in the process of getting a student visa.
Have you applied for a work permit as well as a student visa then?
Old Jul 20th 2009, 12:23 am
AAB
Just Joined

no, i was told when i arrive the university would do the paperwork for the student visa. also was told I couldn't work on a work permit but just wondering for future reference the benefits for my husband
Old Jul 20th 2009, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

your husband can only get work if he applies for a job on the island with a company who are willing to get a work permit for him - this is not an easy or straightforward process and is only slightly possible if he has a skill that a Barbadian living here does not possess.

What line of work is he in?
Old Jul 20th 2009, 12:51 am
AAB
Just Joined

he works with children diagnosed with autism and also juvenile delinquents for the state we live in
Old Jul 20th 2009, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

he would need to look for jobs in Barbados in that area and then see if they would apply for a work permit for him, I have NO idea how that would pan out...

Has he looked for work?

It seems hard that you are going to be a student here and have to be away from your husband, are there other student options for you where he could work?
Old Jul 20th 2009, 1:00 am
AAB
Just Joined

yeah it's difficult. families have had to deal with similar obstacles (i.e. military). my research is based on west indian culture, so no if that was the issue I would have kindly attended school where I reside.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

well good luck with it, I hope he finds work and can be with you!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 1:04 am
AAB
Just Joined

thanks and i hope so too! we'll give it time because i know bim is going thru some changes. it's all who you know and not what you know in alot of instances.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AAB
thanks and i hope so too! we'll give it time because i know bim is going thru some changes. it's all who you know and not what you know in alot of instances.
true, that!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

afish is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure where you're from but someone I know was having trouble getting his work permit through. His wife is Bajan by descent and in the end they contacted the US Embassy who helped get it through and it happened very quickly indeed once they were involved.

Worth trying I guess.