British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Student Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/student-visa-620764/)

AAB Jul 17th 2009 6:16 pm

Student Visa

Just got accepted in the University for a Ph.D. program. What benefits would my husband have?

Also under a work permit, what will he be able to do (i.e. length of stay etc.)?

Thanks

Sunniebgi Jul 18th 2009 10:46 am

Re: Student Visa

your work permit would not allow him to do anything. he would have to have his on.. but a student visa doesn't allow you to work (does it??).. and I doubt that a student visa for you would have anything to do with him either, except live here. I could be wrong.

birthdaygirl Jul 19th 2009 6:56 pm

How long did it take you to get your student visa, as I am applying one for my son and I live in hope that it will be before the start of term. Thank you in advance

AAB Jul 19th 2009 8:55 pm

Sunniebgi,

That is what I thought but wasn't sure. I am not so concerned with the work permit at this time since the student visa will be in effect immediately once I arrive for studies.

I am not aware of how long it takes....sorry. my 1st time in the process of getting a student visa.

shines Jul 20th 2009 12:17 am

Originally Posted by birthdaygirl (Post 7766215)
How long did it take you to get your student visa, as I am applying one for my son and I live in hope that it will be before the start of term. Thank you in advance

Immigration usually like applications for Student Visas to be in by the end of the previous term to give them time to process them all.

However, saying that, most schools will accept a copy of your receipt as proof that it is in the system if the visa is not stamped in the passport on the first day of term.

Have you put your application in yet? You know you have to get it signed and stamped by your school, then take it to Dept of Education and then to Immigration. DoE can keep the application for a while at times too...

Shines

shines Jul 20th 2009 12:18 am

Originally Posted by AAB (Post 7766375)
Sunniebgi,

That is what I thought but wasn't sure. I am not so concerned with the work permit at this time since the student visa will be in effect immediately once I arrive for studies.

I am not aware of how long it takes....sorry. my 1st time in the process of getting a student visa.

Have you applied for a work permit as well as a student visa then?

AAB Jul 20th 2009 12:23 am

no, i was told when i arrive the university would do the paperwork for the student visa. also was told I couldn't work on a work permit but just wondering for future reference the benefits for my husband

shines Jul 20th 2009 12:48 am

your husband can only get work if he applies for a job on the island with a company who are willing to get a work permit for him - this is not an easy or straightforward process and is only slightly possible if he has a skill that a Barbadian living here does not possess.

What line of work is he in?

AAB Jul 20th 2009 12:51 am

he works with children diagnosed with autism and also juvenile delinquents for the state we live in

shines Jul 20th 2009 12:54 am

he would need to look for jobs in Barbados in that area and then see if they would apply for a work permit for him, I have NO idea how that would pan out...

Has he looked for work?

It seems hard that you are going to be a student here and have to be away from your husband, are there other student options for you where he could work?

AAB Jul 20th 2009 1:00 am

yeah it's difficult. families have had to deal with similar obstacles (i.e. military). my research is based on west indian culture, so no if that was the issue I would have kindly attended school where I reside.

shines Jul 20th 2009 1:01 am

well good luck with it, I hope he finds work and can be with you!

AAB Jul 20th 2009 1:04 am

thanks and i hope so too! we'll give it time because i know bim is going thru some changes. it's all who you know and not what you know in alot of instances.

Foxy_fromCanada Jul 20th 2009 1:29 am

Originally Posted by AAB (Post 7766680)
thanks and i hope so too! we'll give it time because i know bim is going thru some changes. it's all who you know and not what you know in alot of instances.

true, that!

afish Jul 20th 2009 7:56 pm

I'm not sure where you're from but someone I know was having trouble getting his work permit through. His wife is Bajan by descent and in the end they contacted the US Embassy who helped get it through and it happened very quickly indeed once they were involved.

Worth trying I guess.