Schools in Barbados

Old Jan 5th 2009, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Pasty is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Schools in Barbados

Hello, I am new to this forum. My (Bajan) wife and I, along with our three children (aged 6, 9, and 3) are considering moving from the UK to Barbados, at least for two years. Can anyone advise me on any good Barbadian Schools? Are racially mixed/balanced Schools better for mixed race children to attend? Also, is there anyone who has tired of Barbados and wanted to return to the UK?
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:18 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in Barbados

there may be several things you may want to consider with regards to your children and schooling. Mix race actually (in my eyes) doesn't mean much here in Barbados, where, while the predominiant population is black, there are white and mix race children all over the place. They will fit in just about anywhere. You may want to consider the time you will be here and what type of education you want them to have had upon their return to the UK.

do you children hold citizenship here in Barbados?? as your wife is Bajan or if they don't, they will need Student Visas for any school they attend.

Codrington is the only school that does the IB program, and there are a fair amount of expats that attend this school. I'm sure your wife has some ideas about schools here, if she didn't move away when she was young. all 3 of my children attended (or still attend) St. Gabriel's Primary, which has been around for 60years. I like the school, the grounds and the feel of the place as well as the education the children recieve. they go by the Ministry requirements of education, which means that they sit the Common Entrance exam (11plus) and move on to secondary school either public or private..

if you are looking for what are considered the Better Government primary schools, try Luther Thorne or Charles F. Broome, but these will be more difficult to get into. (I've also understood that even if your child is in these schools, unless they are inthe tip top of their class they will not be paid much attention too)..

You may also want to consider where you will be living when you put the children in school.. depending on when you move here, your 3 year old will be going to pre-school, your 6 and 9 to primary.. and your 9 year old will be sitting the 11plus soon after arrival (the cut off date for age is the 1st of September for schools and all children age 4 years before the 1st of September, must be registered in a primary school).

I'm sure your wifes family will be able to help with alot of these questions as well.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

holly_berry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there.
I know it's been sometime since this thread was posted yet I wonder if you may help me with an update. We are looking to move to the St James area and have a child of 5 and one of almost 3. I have read with interest the posts about the main private schools, Codrington, St G's, St W's and have contacted them yet I feel I want advice. I don't know the island that well so how much time would it really take to drive from St James's to Codrington each morning?
Are there any reputable state primary schools in the St James's area?
Do you know any great playgroups for my youngest and I to get to know some other mums in the vicinity of St James or Codrington. I am just trying to understand what the structure of my day would be like!!! Not knowing the island that well, it's a bit tricky for me at the moment. Thankyou! Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Hi there,

Most people in St James who send their children to Codrington send them on the bus they provide, bear in mind it is not free and will cost around $1k BBDS a term per child on top of the school fees.

I would also say from experience that if you go to Codrington and the IB programme you then have to be prepared to stick with it through to Diploma level (age 18). The style of teaching is very different from the traditional and you need to also bear this in mind. My daughter has been attending there but will be moving at Easter to St Winifreds. Whilst I like Codrington as a concept, the reality is not right for my daughter and I feel that she will do better with more structure (probably most children do).

That is just my experience though...

Your 3 year old could go to pre school, there are a few near St James. Casa dei Bambini in Speightstown, Blossoms & Mrs Padmores both in Prior Park. My daughter went to Casa and my youngest will go there from next January. It is a montessori style pre school. You will meet other mums there at drop off/pick up times and make friends I am sure... You can always PM me and we can meet up. My daughters are 4 (5 this school yr) and 16 months.

HTH a little

S

Edited to add: your day will be a round of dropping children to school and picking them up with the usual stuff in between - coooking, cleaning, shopping, and a little swimming/sunbathing if lucky... I would also bear in mind re schools having to possibly drop in 2 seperate locations, a lot of people do car share...!

Last edited by shines; Mar 10th 2009 at 10:36 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 7:07 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for that, I do appreciate your thoughts regarding Codrington. My son is very much in a structured environment at the moment and does thrive on it actually, so I am now a bit confused as to what to do. I have been told that St G's for this next school year Sept 09 is full and so my choices are becoming a little limited especially if it means spending a length of time in the car each day. Where else would you recommend? Thanks also re the pre-schoool information - yes definitely will look at those. Would love to meet up too, that would be great - it's always a bit daunting arriving somewhere so new! I will keep you posted as to when we arrive on the island.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:20 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

when will your 5 year old be 6. if after Sept 1, then she/he will be going into the 2nd year class at any school (presumably), as they start here in the year they are 4 turning 5.

I wouldn't doubt that all, St. Winifred's, St. Gabriel's, St. Angela's and others are already full for the first year class, but you may want to talk directly to the schools and possibly get your child on a waiting list. This will also help with the 3year old as sibliings, as long as the parent has done an application, are guaranteed a spot for entry. You may also want to look at Providence which is a new private primary located in St. George.

Also remember that people come and they also go, which means that you have until September for someone to leave and open a spot for entry. But again, you need to be on a waiting list to get in.

I have 2 children still at St. Gabriel's and my oldest daughter at St. Ursulas (which is now the only all girls private secondary school on the island).
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by holly_berry
Thank you so much for that, I do appreciate your thoughts regarding Codrington. My son is very much in a structured environment at the moment and does thrive on it actually, so I am now a bit confused as to what to do. I have been told that St G's for this next school year Sept 09 is full and so my choices are becoming a little limited especially if it means spending a length of time in the car each day. Where else would you recommend? Thanks also re the pre-schoool information - yes definitely will look at those. Would love to meet up too, that would be great - it's always a bit daunting arriving somewhere so new! I will keep you posted as to when we arrive on the island.
I would say if he is currently in a structured environment then it is best not to change it. In Sept 09 your son will be moving into the year above reception then? Have you asked at St Ursula's and St Winifred's? They are both in a similar area to St G's. Providence is another alternative but I am fairly sure their Reception class this year is full (e.g. the class moving up next year) however they do have a larger number of expats so the numbers may well change...

There is also Will primary school but that is further south again so maybe not a realistic option....

I would check with St W's and St U's both of which are good schools. St G's and St U's both have up to 30 children per class and 2 classes, St W's has up to 21 children per class and 3 classes... (in the prep and junior depts)

Let us know how you get on.

Bear in mind you will need a student Visa for your 5 yr old, unless you/he has Bajan citizenship...

S
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Hi
He is 5 in June and so would be in the year above reception in Sept 09. He has been in a structured environment since he was 3. Thank you for that, I will try St U's and St W's and see how I get on. I will keep you posted! Thanks,
Old Mar 18th 2009, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

pinu is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I am new to this site and am moving to barbados in the summer. I also have a son who will turn 5 in April and another turning 2 in aug. I am going through the school route and would love to hear more personal experiences on all the schools mentioned. I have spoken to Codrington but that is just a start. Would also like to get in touch with other mums that are interested in meeting up with the kids.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by pinu
I am going through the school route and would love to hear more personal experiences on all the schools mentioned. .
I'm guessing you have read through most if not all of this thread, as I'm fairly certain there is a ton of Personal experiences posted here.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

mollyandlizzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pasty
Hello, I am new to this forum. My (Bajan) wife and I, along with our three children (aged 6, 9, and 3) are considering moving from the UK to Barbados, at least for two years. Can anyone advise me on any good Barbadian Schools? Are racially mixed/balanced Schools better for mixed race children to attend? Also, is there anyone who has tired of Barbados and wanted to return to the UK?
My partner and I will be coming to Barbados for one year. We have two children, aged 11 and 8. We would like to have them attend schools that are structured but not 'strict', as well as progressive. We are a two-mom family and are very open and happy in our lives, as are our children. Might anyone with experience in Barbados give us a sense which schools might be the best for our family? We realize we are a bit outside the norm but have lived abroad in other countries previously (Trinidad and Tobago) and have never encountered any difficulties.

Also, can anyone connect us with a tutor who has experience with the Orton-Gillingham method of reading instruction, a method that is quite helpful for dyslexics?
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:49 am

Molly and Lizzy,

Welcome to the forum. The 11 year old would be going into Secondary school and will likely have to sit a version of the 11plus exam if you decide to place her/him into a government/public school. This may also be a requirement for one of the private schools as well.

You may want them both in the same school, so the only route would be private, and depending on the sex of you 11year old, will also determaine which private school, as there is only one private school that takes boys at secondary school. Please note I'm talking about if you choose to have your children follow the Barbados Ministry of Education Curriculumn.

The only other option would be The Codrington School which (if not full) could possibly take both children. However, as has been stated before, this school is a private school which works off the IB program, so you may want to have that continue through to the end if you decide to go that route (also the fees are now at about 12,000.00bbd per term for secondary school, which is much higher than the other schools).

I would actually say that your chosen lifestyle shouldn't be a factor in Barbados (but having said that, Barbadians are still very much in the old school few of things). I don't think this, however, is going to be a factor in the school that you choose.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:05 am
Just Joined

mollyandlizzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Sunniebgi,
Thank you so much for your kind and informative reply.
My son turned 11 years old in February this year so I guess that means The Codrington School or the secondary school that takes boys (St. Winifred's?).
With regard to sitting the exam, does that mean taking the exam in order to get admitted?

My daughter will turn 9 years old in October.

I don't feel too concerned about them going to the same school. I want just to find a suitable school for each of them.

The Codrington School seems out of our budgetary reach I am afraid. Also, I would like them my children to mix with Bajan children as well as expat kids.

It may be that we have to just go with the option of hiring a tutor to work with both kids for math and reading in the mornings. Then I would need to find some activities for them to be involved in the afternoons (when schools get out) so that they can make friends and enjoy other children's company!

Any guidance on the possibility of hiring a tutor? Does anyone know of a network of tutors? Also both my children, though very bright on all scales, struggle with reading and need extra help in that department. We have found the Orton-Gillingham method of teaching quite helpful. It was developed in Britain and so I am hopeful that perhaps some tutors there might be familiar with it.

I would appreciate guidance from any readers of this forum!

Many thanks.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by mollyandlizzy
Dear Sunniebgi,
Thank you so much for your kind and informative reply.
My son turned 11 years old in February this year so I guess that means The Codrington School or the secondary school that takes boys (St. Winifred's?).
With regard to sitting the exam, does that mean taking the exam in order to get admitted?

My daughter will turn 9 years old in October.

I don't feel too concerned about them going to the same school. I want just to find a suitable school for each of them.

The Codrington School seems out of our budgetary reach I am afraid. Also, I would like them my children to mix with Bajan children as well as expat kids.

It may be that we have to just go with the option of hiring a tutor to work with both kids for math and reading in the mornings. Then I would need to find some activities for them to be involved in the afternoons (when schools get out) so that they can make friends and enjoy other children's company!

Any guidance on the possibility of hiring a tutor? Does anyone know of a network of tutors? Also both my children, though very bright on all scales, struggle with reading and need extra help in that department. We have found the Orton-Gillingham method of teaching quite helpful. It was developed in Britain and so I am hopeful that perhaps some tutors there might be familiar with it.

I would appreciate guidance from any readers of this forum!

Many thanks.

Yes, your son would have to take an 11plus type exam.. I'd strongly incourage you to get in contact with the Ministry of education to find out the requirements for a foriegn student to do this and be placed in a Secondary School in Barbados. I will tell you that this years exam takes place on May 5th so you may want to try to get to them now, rather than later, and find someone who can actually answer your questions where that is concerned (it doesn't me he will have to come here to sit it on that day, but you will at least be aware of what you/he needs to do).

The only school he isn't going to need this exam for is Codrington.. Soooo.. another option (if that is beyond the budget) is to go first to St. Winifreds and see what they can offer (this would not be my choice for personal reasons, but it maybe the best for your situation).

You may also want to consider, based on grades and it would have to be approved by the ministry and the school, to have him go through the J4/Class 4 year and do the exam next May and go to secondary school a year later.

While it has been said that homeschooling is allowed, my understanding from the ministry is that it's not like homeschooling in other places in the world. You can also check with Learning for Life. http://www.smartstudying.com/ and see what they can offer.

All of my children are either still in or have gone through St. Gabriel's School, which I'm very happy with. My oldest daughter, who is classic dyslexic - issues with reading but great in maths, is now in her second year at St. Ursulas (all girls secondary) and doing very well.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

KJLee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by holly_berry
Hi
He is 5 in June and so would be in the year above reception in Sept 09. He has been in a structured environment since he was 3. Thank you for that, I will try St U's and St W's and see how I get on. I will keep you posted! Thanks,
I am reading these threads with great interest as I am a mother of two boys aged 5 and 3, also planning to move from the UK to Barbado (close to Holetown) around August this year so I'm in the same boat as many of you, trying to suss out which schools etc...

And when we get there, will be in contact to make new play friends!

Karen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.