Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Hoping to move to barbados in the soon

Hoping to move to barbados in the soon

Old Feb 9th 2009, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hoping to move to barbados in the soon

Good thing you are planning ahead, then. You may have gathered from some of the posts on this forum that things can move very slowly in Barbados.

Best of luck to you. I'm sure you will enjoy your retirement here, once you get here.
F
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

cartoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by grw
I am not- only 59. Not sure I understand if I have a private pension and its paying us each month, why do I need to be 65 to retire
I think they just have different types of residency.

We were told we couldn't claim retirement until we were 65. We don't work there.

We have a property in Barbados and spend 9 months of the year there. We have another form to fill but have never had more than a 30 day stamp in our passport.

Maybe one of these days we will get a straight answer at immigration.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 5:52 am
Just Joined

Wagxl is an unknown quantity at this point

"We will probably retire there. "

Hello:
Did you,grw, or anyone else following this thread ever find out the procedure for obtaining permission to RETIRE in Barbados? I am over 65 but what else do you have to do? Can you get retirement status before coming to Barbados or must you wait until you arrive? If the latter, where must you go and what forms must be filled out and what are the requirements?

Advice from anyone with experience would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Wagxl
Old Oct 26th 2009, 11:36 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

The full text of the statement, made in parliament last Tuesday, can be found on four websites: barbados parliament.com; gisbarbados.gov.bb, investbarbados.org and foreign.gov.bb - this is from a piece publish in the Nation Newspaper a week or so ago.

I would suggest that you go to one of the websites listed and read one the green paper on immigration and the proposals for new immigration law.

somewhere in there it does address retirees.. so have a look.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point

Re. the Green Paper - I tried to summarise it in a previous thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=636022

I wrote:
Retirement - the proposal is to only give permanent residency, or "Special Entry" to those over 60. Retirement is defined as being over 60 now, anyone younger than this MAY be approved for this category but only for periods of 3-5 yrs, reviewable until the age of 60 when it can be made permanent

I think that's about right, unless anyone thinks I've misinterpreted anything?