Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Hoping to move to barbados in the soon

Hoping to move to barbados in the soon

Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:51 am
grw
Just Joined

grw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hoping to move to barbados in the soon

Good Morning I have just registered on the site, as we are hoping to move to Barbados in about 18 months.

We will probably retire there. I am looking to buy/rent a small apartment a buy a small yacht. Well thats the dream!

I am looking for help in finding the right area to live the and buy yachts and others things I should be aware of in moving to Barbados.

Grahame
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hoping to move to barbados in the soon

Finding the area that is right for you depends on what sort of lifestyle you're looking for. You mention retiring; does that mean you'll want a quieter atmosphere? Or perhaps you're the youthful retired type who is looking to rock out in the Gap 5 nights a week Just teasing.

Many people on this forum have great experiences to share, so if you can give a bit more detail on what you're hoping to gain from living in Barbados, we can all share our knowledge.

Unless you have citizenship, you'll need some sort of permit/visa to live in Barbados. There is someone on this forum who knows about that, but I can't remember who it is. Hopefully they will read your post and comment.

Good luck,
F
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess the west coast would be more suitable for you to live if you are wanting to do sailing.

In regards to moving over, I think (and I only say think) that as long as you are not wanting to work then residency would be the quickest route for you to go down. I have heard that as long as you are living on the island for 5 years you get it automaticly. I am sure that the regulars on here will be able to advise you further.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:34 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikki85
In regards to moving over, I think (and I only say think) that as long as you are not wanting to work then residency would be the quickest route for you to go down. I have heard that as long as you are living on the island for 5 years you get it automaticly. I am sure that the regulars on here will be able to advise you further.
The length of time you live on the island has nothing to do with getting residency. I have 2 sets of friends who both have been here over 8 or 9 years, one set has children who where born here, and both sets have been denied residency.. soo.. nothing is a sure thing.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:42 pm
grw
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
Finding the area that is right for you depends on what sort of lifestyle you're looking for. You mention retiring; does that mean you'll want a quieter atmosphere? Or perhaps you're the youthful retired type who is looking to rock out in the Gap 5 nights a week Just teasing.

Many people on this forum have great experiences to share, so if you can give a bit more detail on what you're hoping to gain from living in Barbados, we can all share our knowledge.

Unless you have citizenship, you'll need some sort of permit/visa to live in Barbados. There is someone on this forum who knows about that, but I can't remember who it is. Hopefully they will read your post and comment.

Good luck,
F
I would say a quieter life. Places to eat and drink, not clubs

I have seen apartments at silver point in christchurch which would be near to barbados sailing club
Old Feb 4th 2009, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

You may want to follow Vikki85's suggestion of looking around the wealthy west coast. Many nice hotels and restaurants there. Port St. Charles is a very ritzy place where people live and dock their yachts. If that's beyond your means, but you like the west coast, you're still not too far from the Yacht club on the south coast (not far from the Hilton).

Silver Point / Silver Sands is nice too - just in the other direction, near Oistins. You'd be roughly the same distance from the yacht club.

You may find it helpful to visit for a week or so and hire a real estate agent.
Good luck,
Foxy
Old Feb 5th 2009, 3:51 pm
grw
Just Joined

You may want to follow Vikki85's suggestion of looking around the wealthy west coast. Many nice hotels and restaurants there. Port St. Charles is a very ritzy place where people live and dock their yachts. If that's beyond your means, but you like the west coast, you're still not too far from the Yacht club on the south coast (not far from the Hilton).

Silver Point / Silver Sands is nice too - just in the other direction, near Oistins. You'd be roughly the same distance from the yacht club.

You may find it helpful to visit for a week or so and hire a real estate agent.
Good luck,
Foxy
I know, but have been a few times and will be back next Feb. We usually cruise every two years. So we will be joining the ship and have a day and half in Barbados

G
Old Feb 5th 2009, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh, I see. Not a lot of time to go looking at places. I suppose you could find a few online that look good, and go see them during the day you're here? Makes for a busy trip, but might be worthwhile.

Another suggestion I (and others) have been making to potential newcomers is to move here and rent a place for a month. During that month, decide if you like the location etc. and then at the end of the month you can easily leave to go on to either a purchased property or a long-term rental. Visiting doesn't give you a clear picture as to what it's like to truly live here, and it would be unfortunate (not to mention inconvenient) to commit to an area/house and find out that you don't enjoy living there.

Best of luck,
Foxy
Old Feb 6th 2009, 3:37 pm
grw
Just Joined

Oh, I see. Not a lot of time to go looking at places. I suppose you could find a few online that look good, and go see them during the day you're here? Makes for a busy trip, but might be worthwhile.

Another suggestion I (and others) have been making to potential newcomers is to move here and rent a place for a month. During that month, decide if you like the location etc. and then at the end of the month you can easily leave to go on to either a purchased property or a long-term rental. Visiting doesn't give you a clear picture as to what it's like to truly live here, and it would be unfortunate (not to mention inconvenient) to commit to an area/house and find out that you don't enjoy living there.

Best of luck,
Foxy
Your thoughts are very helpful. Yes, I was thinking down those lines myself
There does not seem to be a government website to ask questions like how long can I visit, can I get residency if retired. I have seen an address and email for immigration but nothing else.

Would you rent around Bridgetown or go further northwest?

G
Old Feb 6th 2009, 5:20 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grw
There does not seem to be a government website to ask questions like how long can I visit, can I get residency if retired. I have seen an address and email for immigration but nothing else.

G
Hi

When you say near Barbados Sailing Club do you mean Barbados Yachting club? If so Rockley and Rendezvous might suit you - its an older area but with still reasonable rents and is local to supermarkets post office and lots of lovely beaches.

Have a look into home exchanges as well cos some nice properties for short periods.

Dipidy
Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:52 am
grw
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Hi

When you say near Barbados Sailing Club do you mean Barbados Yachting club? If so Rockley and Rendezvous might suit you - its an older area but with still reasonable rents and is local to supermarkets post office and lots of lovely beaches.

Have a look into home exchanges as well cos some nice properties for short periods.

Dipidy
Sorry yes the Yacht club. Thanks for that I will have a look. Is there a website for immigration details?

Grahame
Old Feb 7th 2009, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grw

G
I'm sorry, I'm not sure how residency works for retired people. You'll likely have to give Immigration a call. Websites aren't used here to the extent that you might be accustomed to, so it's entirely likely that you won't find what you're looking for on the web. Best to give them a call.

In terms of staying as a visitor, it's customary to be approved at the airport upon arrival for 30 days (employment prohibited, of course). In the past, I've often been approved for up to 60 days at the airport, which is handy. They usually wanted to see proof that I was leaving again when I said I was - proof in the form of a return ticket.

Beyond that, there is always the possibility to get a Visitor's Extension by visiting Immigration after arriving. As I am not sure how residency works for retired people, I don't know if you'd ever have to go this route. I've been through the Visitor's Extension process. It's a pain, but saves you having to leave every 30 days.

Hopefully someone has info on retiring here and can give you some advice there.

F
Old Feb 8th 2009, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

cartoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope you are over 65 otherwise you can't claim to be retired here.

My partner tried that ...(55) lol.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 2:25 pm
grw
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cartoon
Hope you are over 65 otherwise you can't claim to be retired here.

My partner tried that ...(55) lol.
I am not- only 59. Not sure I understand if I have a private pension and its paying us each month, why do I need to be 65 to retire
Old Feb 9th 2009, 2:28 pm
grw
Just Joined

I'm sorry, I'm not sure how residency works for retired people. You'll likely have to give Immigration a call. Websites aren't used here to the extent that you might be accustomed to, so it's entirely likely that you won't find what you're looking for on the web. Best to give them a call.

In terms of staying as a visitor, it's customary to be approved at the airport upon arrival for 30 days (employment prohibited, of course). In the past, I've often been approved for up to 60 days at the airport, which is handy. They usually wanted to see proof that I was leaving again when I said I was - proof in the form of a return ticket.

Beyond that, there is always the possibility to get a Visitor's Extension by visiting Immigration after arriving. As I am not sure how residency works for retired people, I don't know if you'd ever have to go this route. I've been through the Visitor's Extension process. It's a pain, but saves you having to leave every 30 days.

Hopefully someone has info on retiring here and can give you some advice there.

F
Many thanks Foxy. Looks like a long phone call with Immigration. As I said before it will ne some before I wanted to move, so I time enough to get all the details

Grahame

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.