Getting Residency

Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

bimchick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting Residency

Originally Posted by zanne
Bimchick-- where were you married?
Hi Zanne,

we were married in canada and we were also told we needed the long form of the license by the "kind lady" when she had a look at the documents before the process actually started... still mystified as the application form itself says everything they need the long form of the marriage certificate to say...
Old Oct 19th 2008, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Can't you get the long form?
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

I was married in Canada.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Oops...

I can get the long form, it just will take a while. Meanwhile, I am supposed to be working but need to get my work permit sorted out and I dont know if i can work while a citizenship is being processed.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Why will it take a while? I am pretty positive that you can't have both things going at the same time-- that is what they told me.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

So basically they expect people to just not work for 3 years while they are getting citizenship? That doesn't seem to make any sense...

It will take a while because I have to ask Stats Canada to mail me the form.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes it seems that way...

I authorized a friend of my to pick ours up in NYC and he FedEx'd it to me so all told it took about a week. I was livid when I found out that I needed it, it was about a week after we moved here to join my husband who had come the year before. Anyway while I was working in NYC I passed the City Clerk's Office nearly everyday and if I had known that we needed the form I could have brought it with me.

Did they ask you about being a Spinster?
Old Oct 19th 2008, 9:18 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Antiquated at best.. that's the Barbados Immigration office if you ask me.

When I did all this years ago, I was told that getting Citizenship was cheaper and faster than residency. As a Foreign women married to a Barbadian Man you can hold either citizenship or residency. As a matter of fact, you are entitled by law to hold citizenship, so they cannot technically deny you, cause it's the law..

I would have also said you cannot work with out the citizenship, residency or even a valid work permit, unless it's gone through the process of the advertising of the advert, then the immigration office advert that says, that this company, having found no suitible Barbadian for this job, is applying for a work permit.. that's the point at which you can work..

having said that there are many companies that make it so hard for a bajan to get the job because of the work requirements.. must speak fluent french or italian, must have 15years experience on this piece of equipment, etc etc... and it's mainly the fact that the company already has someone doing the job who isn't from here, so they have made up the requirements to keep the person working.

Anyway.. I would also say, you can't have it 3 ways.. so, you need to decide on what you want and apply. whatever it is, it might not be the fastest but it will ultimately get you what you want.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

So I put in my application for citizenship yesterday, and applied for an extension today. Immigration said I can have my passport back in 28 days...

I am unemployed with nothing to do. Who wants to meet for coffee???
Old Oct 21st 2008, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

28 days?? Holy cow! And I thought I had it bad with a 2-week wait. Belinda, are you reading this??

Bimchick - where are you located? I have flexible work hours and would be happy to meet for a coffee You can feel free to send me a PM if you prefer.

I see you're in Worthing - I'm not far from you over here in Hastings. Let's connect.

Last edited by Foxy_fromCanada; Oct 21st 2008 at 8:50 pm. Reason: foxy is a dough-head
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
28 days?? Holy cow! And I thought I had it bad with a 2-week wait. Belinda, are you reading this??

Bimchick - where are you located? I have flexible work hours and would be happy to meet for a coffee You can feel free to send me a PM if you prefer.

I see you're in Worthing - I'm not far from you over here in Hastings. Let's connect.
Hi Foxy,

YEH, it seems it is getting worse every time I visit this forum LOL
Well, I only can tell you all, come to Grenada as long as it is still quite easy to get a work permit here for a non-national. Comparing to Barbados it is sooooo easy!!! Believe me, I went through every sh** in Barbados, and after all I got a real paranoia when it comes to going to any immigration departement or even at the airport. In Grenada there are no queues at all, the immigration officers are mostly friendly (!) and treat you like a human, not like an animal or criminal.
I couldn't believe it until I experienced it here, but trust me, there are still nice countries out here!
Old Nov 6th 2008, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

cartoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I arrived on Monday and put down 90 days visit on my immigration form.
I was only asked who I was staying with and then let through without another word. They did only stamp my passport for 30 days though.

My other half did get stopped though and quizzed. They said that because we own a property here we should just go and register.

They make it sound so easy but from what I hear, it won't be. I'll keep you posted as to how we get on.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Good luck to you. I hope you don't have the long waits that others have had!

I find the difficult thing is not just figuring which questions to ask, but trying to anticipate what they aren't telling you when they answer your questions. It's like a scavenger hunt...
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

That's an uneducated Bajan thing though. I find that people here don't like to give entire answers to questions.

Some people just love to not give whole answers...it's infuriating!