Getting Residency

Old Oct 6th 2008, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

cartoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting Residency

OK, apologies if this subject has been covered a hundred times before but I have searched some of the threads for an answer.

Where do I start to apply for residency of Barbados? Should I do it in the UK or can I do it once I arrive on the island? I'm no longer a UK tax payer.

I've been to the island many times before and have stayed there for 60-90 days without any questions even when I've put this on my immigration card. I've never been asked to pay any fees.
I'm not planning to work in Barbados and can prove that I can support myself. But from now on I will probably be on the island for at least 9 months of the year so I think it is about time I got something sorted.

Thanks again for your help and advice.
Derek
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Getting Residency

Hi there,

Apologies in advance if I completely butcher this topic. I'll let you know what I do know, and hopefully someone will chime in to correct me if I'm way off!

I think what you could actually do is just go to the Immigration office (in Barbados) with all of your paperwork (airline tickets, proof of ability to support yourself) and ask for a Visitor's Extension. I just did this, and it was semi-painful as the process is not well explained, so you're kinda left figuring it out for yourself. I can help you here if you need it.

I am not sure there is an application for residency without a work permit. I simply don't know, so hopefully someone else can advise you.

Sorry if that's not much of a response

Foxy
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road

Hi Derek,

I don't want to scare you off your plans completely, but honestly, forget your plan about applying for residency before you even lived AND worked there for at least 5 years.
I am one of the people (and it is an increasing crowd believe me) who had the worst experience with Bajan immigration.
Barbados - honestly said - is not the paradise island anymore for a living, but it is for sure if you are visiting. The new prime minister has a strong eye on the foreigners coming to his island, and getting a work permit as a foreigner has become almost impossible, no matter who you know, except you are a very good friend of the prime minister itself. I can speak of my experience AND the experiences of friends within the last year, so I do believe that what I say is more than realistic.

My advise - come as a visitor, don't EVER tell immigration you plan to stay here for a longer time, just go there min. 2 weeks before your tourist visa will expire, and just apply for an extension of the max. you can get, which is 6 months for UK citizen as far as I know. 3 months for EU citizen except UK. They will ask for a reason of the extension on the application form, just put there "extension of vacation". Like I said, don't ever tell them you plan to work there or stay longer, I mean, don't tell the immigration officer that, that is not their business and they will not treat you better because of that, you will only achieve the opposite, trust me. Fact is, the Bajans don't like more foreigners in their country as there are already.

Maybe I will get kicked by a few people in here, but let me tell you that I have my sources in Barbados, so I know very well what I am talking about. Actually the chances seem to get better since the previous Chief Immigration Officer Mr. Greaves was just replaced by another fella, from who I heard he is better.

But still, trust me, just do what I advised you and you will get 1 or even 2 extensions without problems. Just make sure that you always go to Immigration for it early enough, because they will keep your passport for a week to work on the extension, and in many cases, if they decide not to grant you the extension, they will not give you any notice, they will eventually just let you come over there but keep you there and send you back to your country right away. And trust me, this is no nice experience at all, Bajan Immigration generally doesn't care from which country you come from, which background you have, you could easily end up in the immigration "waiting room" with real criminals in handcuffs sitting right besides you, waiting for your flight to go back home.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

At the moment, it's taking quite a bit longer than a week or two for the visitors' extensions to go through. I've heard they have mandated that the Guyanese all submit new paperwork, regardless of the status of their work permit. Annoying for everyone.

I would suggest going to Immigration almost a month before your visitor's visa expires if that is possible. I had to leave the country 3 weeks after submitting my info, and had to BEG for my passport back, with or without the extension. Luckily, my extension was approved, but I was going to have to take the passport without it if necessary.

Good luck.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
At the moment, it's taking quite a bit longer than a week or two for the visitors' extensions to go through. I've heard they have mandated that the Guyanese all submit new paperwork, regardless of the status of their work permit. Annoying for everyone.

I would suggest going to Immigration almost a month before your visitor's visa expires if that is possible. I had to leave the country 3 weeks after submitting my info, and had to BEG for my passport back, with or without the extension. Luckily, my extension was approved, but I was going to have to take the passport without it if necessary.

Good luck.
Foxy thanks for this update, I didn't know that. Even worse...........so you know what I am talking about
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Belinda1974
Foxy thanks for this update, I didn't know that. Even worse...........so you know what I am talking about
Yeah, it pretty much sucks right now! LOL!
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
Yeah, it pretty much sucks right now! LOL!
Well, let me tell you, Grenada was such a surprising experience compared to Barbados. While treated like a criminal by Bajan immigration, here they are even friendly, and without stress, you wouldn't believe it!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

expat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really nice

Derek, are you considering buying a property in Barbados? I can tell you it is a lot easier to gain non-national residency if you do. You will also need 2 - 3 years worth of UK accounts/tax return info for proof of your UK income, which obviously has to come from a source that can be sustained while you are out of the UK.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by expat_wannabe07
Derek, are you considering buying a property in Barbados? I can tell you it is a lot easier to gain non-national residency if you do. You will also need 2 - 3 years worth of UK accounts/tax return info for proof of your UK income, which obviously has to come from a source that can be sustained while you are out of the UK.
Yes, I've already bought a property. Will move in on Now 3rd when I return to island.
I'm not looking to become a national, only to get residency. I'm also not looking for a work permit.
I would have thought they'd be glad to get some tax from me.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Belinda1974
Hi Derek,

I don't want to scare you off your plans completely, but honestly, forget your plan about applying for residency before you even lived AND worked there for at least 5 years.
I am one of the people (and it is an increasing crowd believe me) who had the worst experience with Bajan immigration.
Barbados - honestly said - is not the paradise island anymore for a living, but it is for sure if you are visiting. The new prime minister has a strong eye on the foreigners coming to his island, and getting a work permit as a foreigner has become almost impossible, no matter who you know, except you are a very good friend of the prime minister itself. I can speak of my experience AND the experiences of friends within the last year, so I do believe that what I say is more than realistic.

My advise - come as a visitor, don't EVER tell immigration you plan to stay here for a longer time, just go there min. 2 weeks before your tourist visa will expire, and just apply for an extension of the max. you can get, which is 6 months for UK citizen as far as I know. 3 months for EU citizen except UK. They will ask for a reason of the extension on the application form, just put there "extension of vacation". Like I said, don't ever tell them you plan to work there or stay longer, I mean, don't tell the immigration officer that, that is not their business and they will not treat you better because of that, you will only achieve the opposite, trust me. Fact is, the Bajans don't like more foreigners in their country as there are already.

Maybe I will get kicked by a few people in here, but let me tell you that I have my sources in Barbados, so I know very well what I am talking about. Actually the chances seem to get better since the previous Chief Immigration Officer Mr. Greaves was just replaced by another fella, from who I heard he is better.

But still, trust me, just do what I advised you and you will get 1 or even 2 extensions without problems. Just make sure that you always go to Immigration for it early enough, because they will keep your passport for a week to work on the extension, and in many cases, if they decide not to grant you the extension, they will not give you any notice, they will eventually just let you come over there but keep you there and send you back to your country right away. And trust me, this is no nice experience at all, Bajan Immigration generally doesn't care from which country you come from, which background you have, you could easily end up in the immigration "waiting room" with real criminals in handcuffs sitting right besides you, waiting for your flight to go back home.
Hi Belinda, thanks for that. It sounds a bit grim.

I'm not looking to become a national, just to get a residents permit. I'm also not looking for a work permit.

I would have thought that the government would be keen to get tax on any money I bring to the island though.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cartoon
I would have thought they'd be glad to get some tax from me.
I keep saying that, too!
Old Oct 19th 2008, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

bimchick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

This is my first post

I also have a residency question.

I'm married to a Barbadian man and have been living on the island for 1 year. I worked last year with a work permit but have since changed jobs. I was just informed I need a new work permit, but I also want to apply for citizenship.

Can anyone tell me if its faster, or the same, to apply for citizenship or residency? I tried to apply for citizenship already but the lovely woman at immigration told me that my marriage certificate wasn't sufficient because it didn't state that I nor my husband had never been previously married and signed by a JP (even though the APPLICATION FORM I filled out, in the presence of a JP stated I'd never been married before and neither had my husband) and so I plan to reapply because I know that it all depends on who you get at immigration. I'm also contemplating getting a lawyer.

So my main question is thus: Can you work while applying for citizenship? I know you can work while a work permit is being processed so can you work while citizenship papers are being processed? What about permanent residency?

Also, i know you can work while a work permit is being processed, but does that mean when the papers and forms and x rays are handed into the immigration department, or does "in process" refer to after you've received a letter from immigration stating the work permit application has been accepted (but not yet granted)

Sorry for all the questions thrown into one. I'm just feeling lost

-bimchick
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Ugh, I really feel for you! It's confusing at best, and service at immigration leaves much to be desired.

I don't have answers to all your questions, but I can tell you that for a work permit to be considered "in process" it means that after you have submitted everything and they have taken a look at it, they have decided to approve it and you are waiting on the actual paper and the subsequent stamp that goes in your passport. So, approved but not yet granted.

I am not sure if you'd be better off going the citizenship route. But one of the other members here can likely respond to that part.

Best of luck to you!
Foxy
Old Oct 19th 2008, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Bimchick, we also had the same problem with the marriage certificate, after my citizenship application sat in the immigration office for 18 mos we were told that we needed the long form which has the entire contents of the marriage license.

I will tell you this, as of April/May they were saying that you cannot have both things working at the same time, ie. Citizenship and Work Permit. I am not certain the reason or logic. My citizenship was granted in May, and at that time I was also told that they were introducing a waiting period of an unspecified duration, presumably longer than 18 months.

Hope this is of help to you...
Old Oct 19th 2008, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Bimchick-- where were you married?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.