Getting a job in Barbados

Old Jan 31st 2008, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice
Default Re: Getting a job in Barbados

Hi Sherril:

As far as I know the fact that your husband is here working does not make it any easier for you to get a work permit, even if you find someone willing to employ you.

However, I would imagine that in your line of work, there may be someone willing to employ you and go through the process of getting you a work permit.

If you go to the Barbados Yellow Pages (www.barbadosyp.com) and search for Wedding Planners or Event Planners, there were six companies listed. You could also contact some of the biggest hotels such as:

Hilton Hotel http://hiltoncaribbean.com/barbados/
Almond Beach Hotels http://www.almondresorts.com/
Elegant Hotels http://www.eleganthotels.com/
Allamanda Beach Hotel http://www.allamandabeach.com/
Escape Hotels http://www.escapehotels.co.uk/
Sandpiper and Coral Reef Hotels http://www.sandpiperbarbados.com/

I think these are the main larger hotel groups. totally Barbados is a good website about Barbados. You might be able to find some information on wedding planners there (http://www.totallybarbados.com/)

If you have any other questions about life in Barbados, or things to see and do, feel free to write.

John
Old Jan 31st 2008, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

sherril is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the info John, greatly appreciated!!!

Sherril
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

TERRYBENT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
The long and short of it is, if you have a skill nobody local has you will get a work permit. Admin, office staff etc you will need to find a job where you have a skill nobody here has.
If you find someone willing to offer you a job, by law they have to advertise it, then if no local meets the criteria they can advertise for a non national, but locals have the chance to object. Rule of thumb is Brain surgeon no problem, job a local could fill, or be easily trained to fill, no hope.
Only other thing is to start a business BUT immigration department expect you to employ at least 3 or 4 locals and your investment in the business financially to be "substantial" their interpretation on that is dependent on who you see on the day, IT IS NOT EASy and if you get caught working illegally you will be on the first plane out with a no re-entry stamp in your passport, if you want any further help please contact me.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

ahhh Mr Bent of UK OK...!

Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:25 am
Just Joined

TERRYBENT is an unknown quantity at this point

No Mr Bent of St James who moved to Barbados three and a half years ago and who has gone through it all.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Like what?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice

I'm intrigued as well.

Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

I would venture to say that *all* probably doesn't include childbirth!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TERRYBENT
No Mr Bent of St James who moved to Barbados three and a half years ago and who has gone through it all.
Oh, Sorry I thought you were the guy from Love Fm who is also called Terry Bent and does a radio show from 10am - 11am called UK OK

Apologies for the confusion...

S
Old Feb 6th 2008, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

brionyj is on a distinguished road

Goodness me, everyone is sensitive right now. Must be the weather.If this is the Terry I think it is then he is indeed Mr UK OK and also a very helpful person on this forum. Calm down, this boy has been very helpful so send him your golden oldie requests for his friday show (my favourite) and chill out. Even if he hasn't squeezed out a child.I have recently heard sobering news from two families (friends) who have lost teenage children in tragic, unexpected circumstances and its made me reassess whats important. Today, my kids are alive. Its put my life and my worries in perspective. Think on it. In the big scheme of things, life is good. Lets be happy for what we have. Lets be kind to each other. Nothing to do with jobs. Thats just what I'm thinking as I imagine at least two other mums tonight...Hard to think about anything else.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Fine, but speaking for myself only, I can say that there is no way that anyone has experienced it all...if you knew what I am going through with my citizenship now you would say *wow* that's not easy...so for someone to come on here with that attitude is silly. Barbados is no bed of roses and each individual has their own reason for coming here, and staying here.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Peace and love.

Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:10 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

had a conversation with someone yesterday about work permits.. 2 people (1 whole family) recently taken from the immigration dept. to the airport and sent packing..

New change of government.. everything being done by the book (even if the book was written years and years ago).

The PM has the last word, or gives the last word to chief immigration guy.. but again, as change of government, this hasn't been done as yet.. so you wait and wait.. and again.. everything by the book.

I have friends who lived here for 7 years. 2 daughters born here, UK citizens.. had the work permit.. tried to get residency.. and waited and waited.. and finally left.. just wasn't worth it. but the daughters.. they can come back and live here any times.. as they are Bajans by birth..

someone stated eariler, just becaues hubby is working here, doesn't mean you can.. HAVE to have a work permit.. They used to not even allow volunteer work.. if a Bajan can do it (whether they will or not), neither can anyone else.. But I'm sure thats not as inforced as used to be.

Good luck..
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Stephanie_77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Morning Sarah! Nice to see you over here as well

Stephanie
('Princess Ord' over on TA)
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

The case in the past when they were Bajan born children was that the parents were allowed to remain in Barbados until the child was 18 as they would not separate children from their parents.

A friend of mine who has been living here for 8 years applied for her residency and the entire application process has gone smoothly, but I guess until you get the residency stamp in your passport, nothing is certain.

As far as deportations, those happen all time and the process can be very unceremonial. They will take you home to pack and then to a holding cell at the airport. Immigration gets pissed off by people who break the rules so it is always better to talk to them while your status in Barbados is still valid. People who get deported have usually overstayed their time by months or years, or have been caught working illegally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.