Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

You get to Oz,then buy a house...

You get to Oz,then buy a house...

Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:03 pm
true blue

paul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: You get to Oz,then buy a house...

Originally Posted by paul geezer
lyne r u planning to move to oz?
im not gttng any replys but had a email to say u replied how mad is that :scared:
Old Nov 13th 2006, 7:40 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paul geezer
lyne r u planning to move to oz?
Think that's normally the point of being on here, moving or moved, unless you are Vash of course.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 8:14 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: You get to Oz,then buy a house...

Originally Posted by annqldau
Think that's normally the point of being on here, moving or moved, unless you are Vash of course.
Eh?

I am here because I'm moving back home to Australia with my English missus.

Surely that qualifies as moving?
Old Nov 13th 2006, 8:39 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
isn't sutton part of a place called kingstanding,we have also visited that solihull its a very nice suburb of chelmsley wood..
Old Nov 13th 2006, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Eh?

I am here because I'm moving back home to Australia with my English missus.

Surely that qualifies as moving?
I'm sure it does but you will never be the same now you've been corrupted, notice you put Lass instead of Sheila for starters on your profile.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 8:48 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Thanks Suni (or Jay ) 30 days doesn't seem so bad - but I suppose it could have an impact on someone accepting an offer on their house subject to approval (especially if its a des res)

The 'told we would have to buy a new house' has confused me tho - the FIRB webpage says you can buy an establised dwelling so long as its your main residence, and not for rental purposes - have you found that not to be the case?

Lynne
When you put an offer in for a house her you have to sign a contract there and then. You have a cooling of period of 5 days ( but if you cancel within 5 days it will cost you 0.25% of the house price, Most EA want tell you that!)
In the contract you put loads of clause's like Subject to FIRB, Subject to finance, Subject to this and that.they allow about 30 days for all of that.
You also put down settlement time, ie 30 days or 60 or 90.
This is my understanding of how it works in QLD, not sure about the other states

Suni

Last edited by Suni&Jay; Nov 13th 2006 at 8:57 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
When you put an offer in for a house her you have to sign a contract there and then. You have a cooling of period of 5 days ( but if you cancel within 5 days it will cost you 0.25% of the house price, Most EA want tell you that!)
In the contract you put loads of clause's like Subject to FIRB, Subject to finance, Subject to this and that.they allow about 30 days for all of that.
You also put down settlement time, ie 30 days or 60 or 90.
This is my understanding of how it works in QLD, not sure about the other states

Suni
That's how it worked for us, all done and dusted in 30 days.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:18 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: You get to Oz,then buy a house...

Originally Posted by annqldau
I'm sure it does but you will never be the same now you've been corrupted, notice you put Lass instead of Sheila for starters on your profile.
I was using UK colloquialisms long before I came to the UK. My father was English, after all - as was my maternal grandfather.

And I'd never use the word "sheila". That went out in the 80s, if not earlier.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I was using UK colloquialisms long before I came to the UK. My father was English, after all - as was my maternal grandfather.

And I'd never use the word "sheila". That went out in the 80s, if not earlier.
You poor boy no wonder you are warped... .
Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:30 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
wow, a week is excellent

Did you come across any problems from vendors not wanting to accept an offer from you, cos of needing approval?

(I know, I'm starting to look for problems that might not even be there ::mutters:

Lynne
We looked at so many houses. We asked every agent if FIRB would be an issue and they said no. I think if a seller needed quick settlement and you were up against someone with no conditions of sale then you may lose out but generally I don't think its an issue.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:30 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
we bought a house that had already been lived in and we are temp visa holders. FIRB approval was back within a week.
Same here!

Andrew
Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:34 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baz
Just a quick question for anyone "in the know."

We will hopefully be moving to Cairns, and we have seen from various websites that it would appear you can get a nice house for around the AU$400,000 mark.

We will have a deposit of around AU$70,000 and both my wife and me will be working. Does anyone know how it works, with regards to how much money we would be offered for a mortgage? If we can put AU$70,000 down as a deposit, and we both have mid - range paying full time jobs, and no outstanding debts, do you think we could get the AU$400,000 and actually be able to make the mortgage re-payments?

Please forgive my ignorance, we have never actually had a mortgage before, always rented, so we don't even know the basics.

Thanks.
Baz
So you will have a $100,000 combined income and need a mortgage of $330,000. reckon you should be able to get that but no expert! Just ask any bank over here. Repayments will probably be around $600/week over 25 years. It'll be tough but not impossible, especially if you have no kids, it'll be easier - IMHO.

Andrew
Old Nov 13th 2006, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baz

We will hopefully be moving to Cairns, and we have seen from various websites that it would appear you can get a nice house for around the AU$400,000 mark.

We will have a deposit of around AU$70,000 and both my wife and me will be working. Does anyone know how it works, with regards to how much money we would be offered for a mortgage? If we can put AU$70,000 down as a deposit, and we both have mid - range paying full time jobs, and no outstanding debts, do you think we could get the AU$400,000 and actually be able to make the mortgage re-payments?

Please forgive my ignorance, we have never actually had a mortgage before, always rented, so we don't even know the basics.

Thanks.
Don't know about Cairns but we've just got ourselves a mortgage and the amount we could borrow didn't go on our salaries but on our deposit. We had to have a 20% deposit so the amount we put down determined how much we could borrow.

However, our salaries for a 'normal' mortgage was looked at for affordability. But then they also take into account any credit card limits, loans etc.

When we looked at a 'low doc' mortgage, we needed 30% deposit.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Baz

Thanks.
Yes you could, from the HSBC anyway not sure about who else.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 1:23 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brido
Ive been flicking through a realestate website and it led me to wonder.
The new migrants dream is to own bigger and better house than they did in the UK.Im hoping for the same,as much as i love my home.

To all expat homeowners,How does your Oz home compare to what you had in the UK?
Uk: large 4 bed 2 storey, country and river views from back bedrooms, 100ft garden + 25 min drive to school, 5 mins walk to park, 5 miles to beach, massive debts

Oz: massive 4 bed, two storey, balconies, views of the ocean and the estuary from every room upstairs and from the garden + 2 min walk to school, 5 min walk to beach, canals, Piazza totally debt free

We are renting, have invested our lump sum and the interest covers the rent. We could not afford to buy what we are living in without a big mortgage so are happy to rent and live a fantastic lifestyle. We will buy eventually but we have just gotten rid of a big mortgage and want a break for a while.

ACE

Last edited by ACE; Nov 14th 2006 at 1:58 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.