Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

You get to Oz,then buy a house...

You get to Oz,then buy a house...

Old Nov 14th 2006, 1:49 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You get to Oz,then buy a house...

We could be mortgage free if we moved to western suburbs of Sydney or away from Sydney full stop.

However, OH's work is here and he doesn't want move. So we are looking at typical first home buyers' range of housing (2 bed single storey terraces with tiny courtyards) that need renovating. We have set a max on the mortgage of $450,000 though the banks would lend us a lot more. We can just about afford the kind of house we are looking for (if it's on a busy road or needs major renovations).

I had a fantasy before moving here that I'd be living in a large house, on a large plot, with no shared walls, a big garden, pool, shed... and living, if not mortgage free, with a very small mortgage.

But our mortgage repayments will be greater than they were in the UK, because we are borrowing more and interest rates are higher. We'll have less space, because of OH's desire to live in the eastern suburbs. It will take us longer to get to work than it did in the UK. The quality of housing we can afford to choose from isn't as good as the UK (we could knock a 100k off our mortgage by buying a 50s or 60s house, but builders must have been really dodgy then!).

Living the dream in Sydney indeed...
Old Nov 14th 2006, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
We could be mortgage free if we moved to western suburbs of Sydney or away from Sydney full stop.

However, OH's work is here and he doesn't want move. So we are looking at typical first home buyers' range of housing (2 bed single storey terraces with tiny courtyards) that need renovating. We have set a max on the mortgage of $450,000 though the banks would lend us a lot more. We can just about afford the kind of house we are looking for (if it's on a busy road or needs major renovations).

I had a fantasy before moving here that I'd be living in a large house, on a large plot, with no shared walls, a big garden, pool, shed... and living, if not mortgage free, with a very small mortgage.

But our mortgage repayments will be greater than they were in the UK, because we are borrowing more and interest rates are higher. We'll have less space, because of OH's desire to live in the eastern suburbs. It will take us longer to get to work than it did in the UK. The quality of housing we can afford to choose from isn't as good as the UK (we could knock a 100k off our mortgage by buying a 50s or 60s house, but builders must have been really dodgy then!).

Why don''t you move out of Sydney ? Life is too short for all that aggro.

You could live down here in the Illawarra, easily get a brand new 4 bed detached for $450k, all the beaches and scenery you need and be just over an hour commute.................by car that is............what details then PM me.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

UK: 3 bed semi, one bathroom, one loo, lounge, dining room, kitchen, a drive that fitted one car, no front yard, tiny back yard, no patio.

OZ: 4 bed detached, two bathrooms, two loos, lounge / dining room, rumpus room, kitchen, double garage, large front yard, large back yard, patio and separate mini patio for spa off parents room and a pool.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 8:26 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul geezer
lyne r u planning to move to oz?

T'otherhalf is waiting on hearing yay or nay about a job in Brisbane.. and has got a final interview for another job in Sydney next week - with that one he'll hear back within a couple of days, as they would need him to start work Jan/Feb (however soon they can get visa through)...

so yeah, we are

Lynne
Old Nov 14th 2006, 9:16 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Move to Brisbane you will get a lot more for that sort of money.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 9:47 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Move to Brisbane you will get a lot more for that sort of money.
Bit hard for the OH (and me) to commute to Sydney from Brisbane. He could get a job in Brisbane, yes, but the opportunities to do well (and earn more) are far greater in Sydney.

Illawarra - I'm a city girl, grew up in London. Can't be living somewhere too far from the big smoke.

Taking the in laws house hunting with us this week, hoping they'll take pity on us and sell their house in the UK, giving us a large share of the profits
Old Nov 14th 2006, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

BB999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, newto all this!! Just been offered a job in Brisbane. We are unsure whether to sell our UK home or rent it. We would be able totake about 100k over but are unsure of house prices in Brisbane. Wondering whether to rent???
Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

as I've said before, it's great having

i) more than one WC.
ii) and, not having the one in the bathroom.

I still take a delight in 'choosing' which one I will visit completely on a whim. , and knowing I won't be interrupted.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:54 am
Mozzie magnet

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

i) more than one WC.

I still take a delight in 'choosing' which one I will visit completely on a whim. , and knowing I won't be interrupted.
It's always good to have a spare WC for everyone else to use when the 'man of the house' has had one of those uninterrupted moments...
Old Nov 15th 2006, 1:57 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BB999
Hi, newto all this!! Just been offered a job in Brisbane. We are unsure whether to sell our UK home or rent it. We would be able totake about 100k over but are unsure of house prices in Brisbane. Wondering whether to rent???
Depends on where you want to live,
this may give you some idea's
http://realestate.com.au

Hope that helps
Suni
Old Nov 15th 2006, 1:57 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

It's always good to have a spare WC for everyone else to use when the 'man of the house' has had one of those uninterrupted moments...
Brill
Old Nov 15th 2006, 9:48 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

What do men do that they need a special toilet... :scared: :scared: :scared: .
Old Nov 15th 2006, 10:51 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
What do men do that they need a special toilet... :scared: :scared: :scared: .
Brainstorm
Old Nov 15th 2006, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

i) more than one WC.

I always say to the girls 'if you can't find Daddy, he'll be on the loo'....