Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

You get to Oz,then buy a house...

You get to Oz,then buy a house...

Old Nov 13th 2006, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: You get to Oz,then buy a house...

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Ok, can I ask a fairly tricky question here?
We'll have about £95k-£100k to transfer across to Oz when we move ( or leave it in an account here until we're ready to buy )
We'd love to be mortgage free in Oz but I can't see it happening with our first house purchase. So, from perusing the real estate websites I THINK that in order to buy what we want, we'd still need approx $100k-$150k of a mortgage in Oz. Can anyone give their personal opinion on whether that would be considered a "big mortgage" in oz or not?
Hubbies a business manager and I'm a nurse. I estimate we'd be on around $120k between us a year. ( maybe more ) We want to have a small mortgage so that we can fly back to the Uk when we want to for holidays.

*pearly*
Forget about all of your good ideas until you get here. We where in a similar position to you when we came over, £135k and dreams of a small mortgage. Then you go looking at houses and see why some of the 4 x 2 houses are so cheap. We have ended up with a $250k mortgage and our income is half of yours, but hey , if i'm going to be skint why not do it next to the pool in the sunshine?
With your estimated income you could have a $300-$400k mortgage and still have plenty of spare cash to enjoy life with. (Jammy Bas**rd)
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:18 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The S's
Forget about all of your good ideas until you get here. We where in a similar position to you when we came over, £135k and dreams of a small mortgage. Then you go looking at houses and see why some of the 4 x 2 houses are so cheap. We have ended up with a $250k mortgage and our income is half of yours, but hey , if i'm going to be skint why not do it next to the pool in the sunshine?
With your estimated income you could have a $300-$400k mortgage and still have plenty of spare cash to enjoy life with. (Jammy Bas**rd)
Looking on realestate.com is a bit misleading. The house's look great, but when you go to view them you soon change your mind, most of the cheap house's aren't in very nice area's.
I think the house's here are just thrown up, very poor quality Thats why they are soo cheap.
Another thing I found here is that the house's are built really close together, often being over looked.
Good luck to those looking for there dream home
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Here you are - here's ours in photos:
Attached Thumbnails You get to Oz,then buy a house...-old-house.jpg   You get to Oz,then buy a house...-new-house.jpg  
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:04 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: You get to Oz,then buy a house...

We sort of went with your idea, we could have bought a posher house on a new estate but wanted wildlife so went for semi-bush a bit land and an older house. We now have a detached house and don't have close neighbours and plenty of local wildlife activity to keep us amused.

Still have a mortgage but like others working on when childs left home may move on else where and sell or rent to travel but for now we have somewhere we enjoy and can say at least we did the dream.

Would say that half the house here is about size of our UK house. We have a large garage here that is ripe for conversion if we stick one outside instead and that saves need to extend as well.

Have the pool which we enjoyed yesterday and not overly big so easy to care for.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madhouse!
Ooooh another one left from sunny Poole

We had a 3bed end of terraced with postage stamp of back garden and a mortgage we couldnt afford!

Renting now a 4bed two storey house with Ocean and estuary views
Debt free and money in our pockets for a very nice change.

Yea life is grand
We were also from sunny Poole, had a small 3 bed end of terrace & large mortgage !
now have a 4 bed, big garden & pool! but still have a large mortgage

Nicky
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by annqldau
We sort of went with your idea, we could have bought a posher house on a new estate but wanted wildlife so went for semi-bush a bit land and an older house. We now have a detached house and don't have close neighbours and plenty of local wildlife activity to keep us amused.

Still have a mortgage but like others working on when childs left home may move on else where and sell or rent to travel but for now we have somewhere we enjoy and can say at least we did the dream.

Would say that half the house here is about size of our UK house. We have a large garage here that is ripe for conversion if we stick one outside instead and that saves need to extend as well.

Have the pool which we enjoyed yesterday and not overly big so easy to care for.
I think you are absolutely spot on there. Have bought 2 houses in the UK and both times have regretted not going for a larger mortgage, hence better house. So we have gone for it big time with larger mortgage on a smaller income :scared:
i agree totally with Suni and Jay also. It was a real shock to us when we got here how closely the houses are built, resulting in no privacy in such a huge country. This is the reason we have bought acreage in Karalee. We have got 1 1/4 acres for the price of a 600msq block on a new estate or Bayside. We looked at Bayside as all Poms do but discounted it as the houses seems to be crammed in.
Maybe in years to come we may go for a sea-change and the pros that it offers but for us at the mo there are to many cons.
Definitely need to come and view a house before getting to excited about how it looks on the net...
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:30 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: You get to Oz,then buy a house...

Originally Posted by The Crow
Crikey, what a step up!

Lovely house; and in the Dandenongs, too! Can't say fairer than that, eh?
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:31 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you are absolutely spot on there. Have bought 2 houses in the UK and both times have regretted not going for a larger mortgage, hence better house. So we have gone for it big time with larger mortgage on a smaller income :scared:
i agree totally with Suni and Jay also. It was a real shock to us when we got here how closely the houses are built, resulting in no privacy in such a huge country. This is the reason we have bought acreage in Karalee. We have got 1 1/4 acres for the price of a 600msq block on a new estate or Bayside. We looked at Bayside as all Poms do but discounted it as the houses seems to be crammed in.
Maybe in years to come we may go for a sea-change and the pros that it offers but for us at the mo there are to many cons.
Definitely need to come and view a house before getting to excited about how it looks on the net...
Some houses are in touching distances like the old victorian houses I just can't live that close to next house, did try a terraced house once and did my head in couldn't see sunset or anything else for the houses.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Crikey, what a step up!

Don't see many like that in West Brom hey Vash
Old Nov 13th 2006, 7:31 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
If I get your drift...I have said this many times since we moved.....

I saw a Homer Simpson talking bottle opener the other day.....as you pull the top off of a beer bottle the opener lets out a huge sigh (in Homers voice) and says....

Aghhhhhhhhh beer, what a lovely sound!

Plus a few other lines I can't think of.

I have also seen a neon bar sign in the shape of AC/DC but that could be step too far for `er indoors.
We did the same thing today. Were at a store that sells framed prints and I saw the Seinfeld ones of Kramer and George. The first thing I said was that I want those for the rumpus room for over the bar.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The upstairs main bedroom in our house here is bigger than the whole upstairs (3 bedrooms & a bathroom) of our house in the UK.
Our upstairs floor space is bigger than the whole floorspace of our UK house.
We paid less for our house here than we sold our house in the UK for.

My sentiments entirely..........
Old Nov 13th 2006, 8:05 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
Nice photos! Your new home looks full of character too, which must be a bonus.

I have to say, I'm dreading the house hunt if we ever get out there. We'd be really lucky - with the amount of equity in our house here, we'd only need a piddly mortgage, and still have savings (and no other debt, wow) and hopefully be able to get something decent, for the 5 of us and the dogs.

Initially, we'd only be on a 457 visa.. does anyone know how long it takes to get approval to actually buy a property when you're not on PR?

Lynne
Old Nov 13th 2006, 8:06 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Well living in Solihull/Sutton Coldfield you get use to space and not being on top of your neighbour's
Old Nov 13th 2006, 8:11 am
Life's a gamble

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Nice photos! Your new home looks full of character too, which must be a bonus.

I have to say, I'm dreading the house hunt if we ever get out there. We'd be really lucky - with the amount of equity in our house here, we'd only need a piddly mortgage, and still have savings (and no other debt, wow) and hopefully be able to get something decent, for the 5 of us and the dogs.

Initially, we'd only be on a 457 visa.. does anyone know how long it takes to get approval to actually buy a property when you're not on PR?

Lynne
We are on a Temp Visa, and we were told that we would have to buy a new house. But you can get FIRB approved in 30 days.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Crikey, what a step up!

Thanks Vash! Certainly a lot nicer to come home to

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.