Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

You get to Oz,then buy a house...

You get to Oz,then buy a house...

Old Nov 13th 2006, 10:28 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You get to Oz,then buy a house...

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
We are on a Temp Visa, and we were told that we would have to buy a new house. But you can get FIRB approved in 30 days.
Thanks Suni (or Jay ) 30 days doesn't seem so bad - but I suppose it could have an impact on someone accepting an offer on their house subject to approval (especially if its a des res)

The 'told we would have to buy a new house' has confused me tho - the FIRB webpage says you can buy an establised dwelling so long as its your main residence, and not for rental purposes - have you found that not to be the case?

Lynne
Old Nov 13th 2006, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Thanks Suni (or Jay ) 30 days doesn't seem so bad - but I suppose it could have an impact on someone accepting an offer on their house subject to approval (especially if its a des res)

The 'told we would have to buy a new house' has confused me tho - the FIRB webpage says you can buy an establised dwelling so long as its your main residence, and not for rental purposes - have you found that not to be the case?

Lynne
we were told that you could buy any house as long as it has never been lived in. So you cold buy land and build your own or buy a brand new house already built but never lived in. Some houses are advertised already with FIRB approval
Old Nov 13th 2006, 12:35 pm
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We did the same thing today. Were at a store that sells framed prints and I saw the Seinfeld ones of Kramer and George. The first thing I said was that I want those for the rumpus room for over the bar.
Brilliant show,brilliant characters,so good we named our dog Kramer!
Old Nov 13th 2006, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

lovingOz is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: You get to Oz,then buy a house...

We lived in small 3 bed terrace with teeny weeny kitchen, one bathroom, no garden and you opened front door onto footpath.

7 years later..........

One rented 4x2 with pool near Perth city.

one wholly owned 4x2 on 1.24 ha at the beach 1.5 hours sedate drive from the city. Which is just finishing being built and hope to spend weekends and holidays there.

Oh lifes a bugger here!!!
Old Nov 13th 2006, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ohippy
we were told that you could buy any house as long as it has never been lived in. So you cold buy land and build your own or buy a brand new house already built but never lived in. Some houses are advertised already with FIRB approval
So can anyone clarify...?
We are hopefully going on SIR495. We have to buy a new property? Is this some kind of urban myth?
It's almost something Borat would say: "you have to buy new house, you giving me all your money, not allowed to buy used one".

Give us a break..................please?
Old Nov 13th 2006, 1:14 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tofster
So can anyone clarify...?
We are hopefully going on SIR495. We have to buy a new property? Is this some kind of urban myth?
It's almost something Borat would say: "you have to buy new house, you giving me all your money, not allowed to buy used one".

Give us a break..................please?
the firb website is correct and the one true font of knowledge on this subject. usually can only get mortgage of up to 70- 80% of house value though if on temp visa.... not a problem if you are cashed up from uk sale but for some it would be..
www.firb.gov.au/

Last edited by jjonboy; Nov 13th 2006 at 1:15 pm. Reason: typo
Old Nov 13th 2006, 2:38 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohippy

ok... but on the FIRB website it says that you can buy any house, including one that has already been lived in/sold previously, so long as its your primary residence and not being bought to rent out

::can't do links:: <g>

http://www.firb.gov.au/content/faq.asp#real_estate

"Q6. I am a foreign person living in Australia on a long stay, temporary resident visa. Do I need approval to buy an established house to live in?

A. Yes. Foreign persons temporarily resident in Australia for a period exceeding 12 months from the time of application for approval are eligible under foreign investment policy to acquire residential real estate. If the property being purchased is an established dwelling, that is, one that has been previously occupied or sold, foreign investment approval is still available provided that the dwelling is to be used as the person’s principal place of residence, not for rental purposes and the property must be sold when their visa expires or they cease to reside in Australia."

Lynne
Old Nov 13th 2006, 2:49 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

ok... but on the FIRB website it says that you can buy any house, including one that has already been lived in/sold previously, so long as its your primary residence and not being bought to rent out

::can't do links:: <g>

http://www.firb.gov.au/content/faq.asp#real_estate

"Q6. I am a foreign person living in Australia on a long stay, temporary resident visa. Do I need approval to buy an established house to live in?

A. Yes. Foreign persons temporarily resident in Australia for a period exceeding 12 months from the time of application for approval are eligible under foreign investment policy to acquire residential real estate. If the property being purchased is an established dwelling, that is, one that has been previously occupied or sold, foreign investment approval is still available provided that the dwelling is to be used as the person’s principal place of residence, not for rental purposes and the property must be sold when their visa expires or they cease to reside in Australia."

Lynne
we bought a house that had already been lived in and we are temp visa holders. FIRB approval was back within a week.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 2:51 pm
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all

Just a quick question for anyone "in the know."

We will hopefully be moving to Cairns, and we have seen from various websites that it would appear you can get a nice house for around the AU$400,000 mark.

We will have a deposit of around AU$70,000 and both my wife and me will be working. Does anyone know how it works, with regards to how much money we would be offered for a mortgage? If we can put AU$70,000 down as a deposit, and we both have mid - range paying full time jobs, and no outstanding debts, do you think we could get the AU$400,000 and actually be able to make the mortgage re-payments?

Please forgive my ignorance, we have never actually had a mortgage before, always rented, so we don't even know the basics.

Thanks.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:05 pm
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all

Sorry, when i say we have "mid-range jobs," we should have two jobs earning around AU$50,000 per year before tax.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:12 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
Well living in Solihull/Sutton Coldfield you get use to space and not being on top of your neighbour's
isn't sutton part of a place called kingstanding,we have also visited that solihull its a very nice suburb of chelmsley wood..
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:30 pm
true blue

paul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Bigger and better, but still renting. Can't afford to buy in brisbane, couldn't afford to buy in Brighton. And as for a pool..... ddddddrrrrrrreeeeeaaaaaaammm!!!
na nor me i cant buy in worthing to dame exspensive
Old Nov 13th 2006, 4:55 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: You get to Oz,then buy a house...

Originally Posted by The S's
Don't see many like that in West Brom hey Vash
Nope.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:28 pm
Officially Bewildered

Originally Posted by northernbird
we bought a house that had already been lived in and we are temp visa holders. FIRB approval was back within a week.
wow, a week is excellent

Did you come across any problems from vendors not wanting to accept an offer from you, cos of needing approval?

(I know, I'm starting to look for problems that might not even be there ::mutters:

Lynne
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:45 pm
true blue

paul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of light

wow, a week is excellent

Did you come across any problems from vendors not wanting to accept an offer from you, cos of needing approval?

(I know, I'm starting to look for problems that might not even be there ::mutters:

Lynne
lyne r u planning to move to oz?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.