Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WORKING IN THE MINES

WORKING IN THE MINES

Old Dec 3rd 2011, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

One of the supposed outcomes I've heard about working in the mines whilst the family stays back here in the East is "It's a fast track to Divorce" So if thats true then it could cost a lot more than any potential income. Although that could be just Urban Myth ?

Anyone know if working in the Mines does cause marriage breakups ? The other thing I've heard is that it's so damn expensive to live there that you have to live like a pauper just to save any money ? Is that Urban Myth as well ?

I've only heard 2nd hand of people working there. If it's so good why does my WA Builder mate choose to live in Melbourne... even though he wants to go back as a Builder ? Main reason he tells me is that his income would suffer because his Wife's business as one of the Melbourne Northern Subs main female Handymen(person) business wouldn't be taken seriously over there therefore the family income would suffer.

Therefore based on the few WA people I know, and I admit it is a very few. I dont think working in the mines is all it's cracked up to be.... Unless your single and prepared to live frugaly over there.

Wife and I could go and work on my BIL's Station out of Goondawindi @ 600 bucks per week each.... All Accom, expenses and most food paid... But that would be a hellish life for us. Plus we've got kids, so it's out of the question... might do some Woofing there in the future. I reckon we would only last 3 months. Potentially though that could be more lucrative than the mines... because of the expenses paid.

To sum up there could be just as many opportunities in Qland as there are in WA

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 3rd 2011 at 9:42 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Iv just been offered a Geo job and it's 2 on 1 off, but whilst working all food and accom are paid for. Iv been told I could literally spend no money whilst at work! I think the potential to save some cash is good!
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 11:09 pm

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate View Post
Iv just been offered a Geo job and it's 2 on 1 off, but whilst working all food and accom are paid for. Iv been told I could literally spend no money whilst at work! I think the potential to save some cash is good!
According to Wiki, a Geologist studies solid and liquid matter - is that why you need to be one to take part in a threesome?
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 11:47 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate View Post
Bare in mind the accommodation might be a shared portacabin and the food strictly fried slop. The miners I know have a good bitch about their accommodation in Moranbah.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 12:38 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Some sites have great food with basic but comfy cabins.
Originally Posted by Turban Explorer View Post
Bare in mind the accommodation might be a shared portacabin and the food strictly fried slop. The miners I know have a good bitch about their accommodation in Moranbah.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 12:42 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM View Post
Some sites have great food with basic but comfy cabins.
Apparently there are alot of hookers in Moranbah too for added comfort!
Old Dec 4th 2011, 1:23 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

The rugby teams do not know what to do with them all.
Originally Posted by Turban Explorer View Post
Apparently there are alot of hookers in Moranbah too for added comfort!
Old Dec 4th 2011, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pixie1 View Post
I would not recommend flying over to do a two week course. Without naming names my partner did a course, cost alot, had no help after to find a job which was promised. Applied for loads of jobs but nobody interested without at least two years on site experience.

The whole thing was a waste of money but good luck to you anyway!!
Sounds like he got conned by a company who promises the offer of a job after he completes the course costing thousands. The only job on offer from these companies is a con job. There is NO need to spend thousands to get the necessary lisense. But the offer of help in finding a job sucks people in.

All my daughter and son did was 4 x 1 hour lessons costing approx $500 then took their test, passed and are now both working fifo driving haul packs, daughter for 4 years in Newman up North, and my son for 1 year in Boddington down south.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle View Post
One of the supposed outcomes I've heard about working in the mines whilst the family stays back here in the East is "It's a fast track to Divorce" So if thats true then it could cost a lot more than any potential income. Although that could be just Urban Myth ?

Anyone know if working in the Mines does cause marriage breakups ? The other thing I've heard is that it's so damn expensive to live there that you have to live like a pauper just to save any money ? Is that Urban Myth as well ?

I've only heard 2nd hand of people working there. If it's so good why does my WA Builder mate choose to live in Melbourne... even though he wants to go back as a Builder ? Main reason he tells me is that his income would suffer because his Wife's business as one of the Melbourne Northern Subs main female Handymen(person) business wouldn't be taken seriously over there therefore the family income would suffer.

Therefore based on the few WA people I know, and I admit it is a very few. I dont think working in the mines is all it's cracked up to be.... Unless your single and prepared to live frugaly over there.

Wife and I could go and work on my BIL's Station out of Goondawindi @ 600 bucks per week each.... All Accom, expenses and most food paid... But that would be a hellish life for us. Plus we've got kids, so it's out of the question... might do some Woofing there in the future. I reckon we would only last 3 months. Potentially though that could be more lucrative than the mines... because of the expenses paid.

To sum up there could be just as many opportunities in Qland as there are in WA
Horses for courses.

You'll only hear the stories of things not working out. My husband was fifo for 17 years, he has been home permanently now for nearly 2 years, with only the odd trip to various sites. I have stayed home with the kids, relocated the family to many different sites and when the kids were independant I did fifo with him. We were fortunate enough to have accomodation supplied with each site we moved to.
I have experienced most aspects of a fifo life. It may not work for everyone but it does for most. I wonder if those that do crack up and split under the pressure of a fifo life would have cracked and split anyway for a different reason.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smee View Post
Horses for courses.

You'll only hear the stories of things not working out. My husband was fifo for 17 years, he has been home permanently now for nearly 2 years, with only the odd trip to various sites. I have stayed home with the kids, relocated the family to many different sites and when the kids were independant I did fifo with him. We were fortunate enough to have accomodation supplied with each site we moved to.
I have experienced most aspects of a fifo life. It may not work for everyone but it does for most. I wonder if those that do crack up and split under the pressure of a fifo life would have cracked and split anyway for a different reason.
Good to hear from someone that actually does it as a family. Ahh Just looked up Fifo. Fly in Fly out ?

Old Dec 4th 2011, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle View Post
Good to hear from someone that actually does it as a family. Ahh Just looked up Fifo. Fly in Fly out ?

Yes sorry, fifo is fly in, fly out.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

Does anyone have idea of Admin/Accounts type jobs??? we are in the mood for a bit of a change.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

lee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nice

Havent read through whole thread but thought I would share my experience.

Came here on a student visa studied plastering. Worked for nearly 3yrs as a general labourer. Worked with a guy who was on his 3month unpaid leave for you know what , for 2 weeks. He phoned me up a few months later and said he wanted to hire me as he seen I was a hard worker.

I never had any experaince or tickets and I was FIFO from Perth to Orange in NSW on a fantastic wage (3k a week after tax) was there for a few months and then got made redundant.

Got a glowing reference from them and then got some tickets, the usual ones which arent expensive either if you look around.

Worked for a couple of companies now on short term contracts and just got a new job FIFO to numan.

It is possible to get a good job, but be aware the mines arent for everyone, you dont just rock up and they throw cash at you.

4 weeks away from your family, takeaway ur travel days and your home for 5 real days.

There are a few companies that I know of that will look at you if your coming over.

PS: I am on a bridging visa waiting for a 485 grad visa, seems to me if you work hard then someone will notice and help you out.

Last edited by lee28; Dec 12th 2011 at 7:48 am.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

timmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud of

What's the few companies that would look at you mate ?
Old Dec 13th 2011, 5:46 am
Just Joined

E_Daniels is an unknown quantity at this point

I've read through this thread, and I'd like some help/information.

I'm trying to get work in the mining industry (willing to start off doing cleaning etc) and do have some related experience (cleaning/labouring/forklift etc), but no actual mining experience.

To add, I'm a QLD licenced/experienced Security/Crowd controller and wondered if anyone here knows where to go to to get mine/gatehouse security work?

Recently divorced, intent on relocation as soon as possible.

Any help greatly received

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.