Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WORKING IN THE MINES

WORKING IN THE MINES

Old Jul 2nd 2011, 3:10 pm
  #16  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: WA
Posts: 59
warbs4 is a jewel in the roughwarbs4 is a jewel in the roughwarbs4 is a jewel in the roughwarbs4 is a jewel in the roughwarbs4 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Originally Posted by leeleelee View Post
NEED A PIPEFITTER LOL!
We've just taken on 2 more welders so afraid not, but as I say, there is so much work here you should have no problem getting work. We've also got an Irish plumber who started with us a labourer and quickly proved himself on site so now works as a plumber for us. As I say, it's down to attitude.
warbs4 is offline  
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 5:44 pm
  #17  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 68
GARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really nice
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Originally Posted by leeleelee View Post
It just sounds as though there crying out for operators?. I,m a plumber by trade but it seemed a faster way to get to Oz and to tell you the truth I'm f**'"ing sick of it(plumbing). Where off to the Expo in leeds on the 9th july so should get some good info there.

So your saying its a bit clicky the mines then?
I have been looking ages for work, I will be at the expo site as well hopefully they should have something
GARRYP1302 is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 12:59 am
  #18  
Canuck/Aussie
 
comet555's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 4,547
comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Originally Posted by GARRYP1302 View Post
I have been looking ages for work, I will be at the expo site as well hopefully they should have something
If you're outside of Australia you'll likely be looking for a long time.

My husbands job was highly in demand prior to moving (mining engineer) and yet no one would even answer an email until we arrived in the country. Once we were there he had two job offers within two weeks. In 6 months of job hunting (with a PR visa) while outside of Australia he only had one conversation with an employer and no offers.

Actually being in Australia is the key to finding a job. Too many people think landing a job is even while outside the country when for most people it's actually quite difficult. Skills in demand or not at some point you might just have to bite the bullet and come over, if even on a brief trip to see what you can do.
comet555 is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 6:30 am
  #19  
Living our life wherever
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Posts: 361
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Originally Posted by leeleelee View Post
NEED A PIPEFITTER LOL!
You will need to take the tests in the uk for plumber and that could take 12/18 months then when you do get to oz you will have to start as a plumbers assistant or even trainee, going to tafe will get you a licence but you will have to be with a skilled tradie for two years usually as assistant, then you will have to take another course to be able to go alone (contractors licence), plumber and gas are two different tickets here so even if you do have gas and plumbing in uk its classed as two different courses etc here
As said welcome to the paper pushing crap here that comes with the migration
Trevski is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2011, 10:44 am
  #20  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 8
Valdez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Originally Posted by comet555 View Post
If you're outside of Australia you'll likely be looking for a long time.

My husbands job was highly in demand prior to moving (mining engineer) and yet no one would even answer an email until we arrived in the country. Once we were there he had two job offers within two weeks. In 6 months of job hunting (with a PR visa) while outside of Australia he only had one conversation with an employer and no offers.

Actually being in Australia is the key to finding a job. Too many people think landing a job is even while outside the country when for most people it's actually quite difficult. Skills in demand or not at some point you might just have to bite the bullet and come over, if even on a brief trip to see what you can do.
Oh you just dumped my plan down the drain... I'm a mining engineer and was thinking to Ho to OZ to get back to the career path but now? Ehh already went trough going blind when I came to UK, and last two years I spend doing some crap job just to have a life, now I just admit to myself there is no way to get engineering job in here if you have a slightly different specialization. I thought that mining will be close enough to civil, for companies is not... I have enough savings to apply for visas for me and my wife and to stay for a month, but after that? I just seen article yesterday that just WA need 33000 mining specialist until end of those year, so maybe they will change something in way they think and act?

Cheers
Valdez is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2011, 1:14 pm
  #21  
Bix
da Bonehead
 
Bix's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Lion in da jungle
Posts: 22,767
Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
I just seen article yesterday that just WA need 33000 mining specialist until end of those year, so maybe they will change something in way they think and act?
Cheers
Or maybe China will change it for them.
If China slows, mining is stuffed.
Bix is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2011, 1:49 pm
  #22  
BE Enthusiast
 
keel's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Northumberland to Maida Vale Perth
Posts: 972
keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Originally Posted by leeleelee View Post
NEED A PIPEFITTER LOL!
I would come out as a plumber, then when you get here you don't have to work in your trade.

I would give the pipefitting a try, you won't have to go back to tafe for your tickets either as it's not a recocnised trade here and yet they are screaming out for pipefitters.

Keel
keel is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:06 pm
  #23  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 8
Valdez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Originally Posted by Bix View Post
Or maybe China will change it for them.
If China slows, mining is stuffed.
Well China have some problems when they realise that financial state of some province is horrible, but even if they will slow down someone else will take over. Demand for mining products will be rising and as they will be depleting the prices will go up. So I don't think that mining companies will see much problems in near future.
Valdez is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:18 pm
  #24  
Canuck/Aussie
 
comet555's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 4,547
comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
Oh you just dumped my plan down the drain... I'm a mining engineer and was thinking to Ho to OZ to get back to the career path but now? Ehh already went trough going blind when I came to UK, and last two years I spend doing some crap job just to have a life, now I just admit to myself there is no way to get engineering job in here if you have a slightly different specialization. I thought that mining will be close enough to civil, for companies is not... I have enough savings to apply for visas for me and my wife and to stay for a month, but after that? I just seen article yesterday that just WA need 33000 mining specialist until end of those year, so maybe they will change something in way they think and act?

Cheers
I suppose it depends on how much experience you have too. My husband only had about 4-5 years experience before we left, and all of it in open pit oil sands.

We also moved over back in 2007 so things could be different now.

If you're a civil engineer looking to get into mining it could be harder to tap into. It would also depend on how much mining experience you have compared to civil. Hard to say.

Our problem too is that we didn't want to live in the outback in some remote mining town. So we were only trying to go to the more desirable places so that made it harder for us. If you're prepared to go and live in the middle of nowhere and work your but off for a year or two to gain experience then you might have more luck. We'd already done the remote thing in Canada and we weren't going to do it again in Australia with two little kids.
comet555 is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:29 pm
  #25  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 8
Valdez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Heh, experience is a problem. I have even worse position. I got a master in mining engineering and after graduation I was working for 6 months underground as a blasting engineer, then I needed to drop this job and spent 3 months looking for new one and get marketing position for a year. Then I moved to mining R&D consulting company and after a year in there I moved to UK. And here I'm stuck. So 5 years from graduation, just 1,5 year of experience... on top of that I need to apply for validation of my diploma cause no one want to recognise them... only good thing is I know that many people after my faculty are working in Australian mines and made their careers.
I really don't mind working hard, especially in specialization I chosen and love in kind of a way. As long as I have enough money to secure me and my wife and there is internet we can settle
Can you maybe recommend woke recruiters or companies where I could apply? It is not something I can do tomorrow as I need visa, this recognition of diploma, pass language test and all this small things, but I need to know chances...

Cheers
Valdez is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:39 pm
  #26  
Canuck/Aussie
 
comet555's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 4,547
comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
Heh, experience is a problem. I have even worse position. I got a master in mining engineering and after graduation I was working for 6 months underground as a blasting engineer, then I needed to drop this job and spent 3 months looking for new one and get marketing position for a year. Then I moved to mining R&D consulting company and after a year in there I moved to UK. And here I'm stuck. So 5 years from graduation, just 1,5 year of experience... on top of that I need to apply for validation of my diploma cause no one want to recognise them... only good thing is I know that many people after my faculty are working in Australian mines and made their careers.
I really don't mind working hard, especially in specialization I chosen and love in kind of a way. As long as I have enough money to secure me and my wife and there is internet we can settle
Can you maybe recommend woke recruiters or companies where I could apply? It is not something I can do tomorrow as I need visa, this recognition of diploma, pass language test and all this small things, but I need to know chances...

Cheers
I would suggest job hunting on Info Mine. Pay the small subscription fee so you can see all the job details, it's not much.

http://www.infomine.com/careers/

As you're looking keep track of the recruiters and see what jobs they're advertising and where. Some might specialize in certain types of mining or certain areas.

Also check out:

www.seek.com.au

I also downloaded google earth and a file that had all of Australia's operating mines on a map so I could see what type of mining was where and who the companies where. It really helped visualize things and gather information.

http://www.australianminesatlas.gov..../downloads.jsp

The only underground mines that I can think of are south of sitting in Wollongong. I'm sure there are others though.

If you don't have any luck with regular mining jobs try seacrhing for new graduate types, basically anything to get your foot in the door. I'm sorry but I can't really remember any recruiters (there are so many) ... so can't help that way.
comet555 is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:55 pm
  #27  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 8
Valdez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Thanks for idea with Google earth, I was using map I found on mininaustralia.com also not bad. I don't mind open pits, well I don't mind any mining job thanks for links
And if you don't remember any recruiters that means they haven't been good enough:P
Valdez is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2011, 11:57 pm
  #28  
BE Forum Addict
 
verystormy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 3,321
verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Thought as a mining proffessional i would add a few general comments that some may find usefull.

1. There is a skills shortage, but for specific skills. Mines rarely for example would be interested in a plumber. Heavy pipe fitter possibly, but for gold they do like experience do to the nature of the chemicals involved in processing.
2. There are opportunities for unskilled work. Starting points are things like nipper - general dogs body or trucks. However, be aware that nipper is hard work and pretty crap and trucks is the most boring job in the world. We go through truckies at a incredible rate. The other option are on site services such as ESS who provide cleaners, bar staff and kitchen people.
3. Pay - its not as high as many seem to think. Particularly when viewed on a hourly basis. For example the starting salary for ESS is $52k a year for working 2 weeks on one week off split shifts. For actual miners it it can start at about $80k
4. There often is no point in approaching mining companies as most mines - except for iron ore, are contract mined. Which means that the mining company provides the proffessionals and managers only. Mining is done by companies such as Barminco or Downer.
5. Be CERTAIN that you are happy to be away from friends and family for the majority of your life. A lot get into the industry and the working away soon pushes them back out.
6. Unless you are a permanent resident forget it unless you are a mining engineer or geologist. Even in demand trades are rarely offered work without having full work rights.
7. For the poster who is a mining engineer, there is bag loads of work, but only if your qualifacation is recognised here. Safety is the number 1 thing and no company will let a engineer lose unless they are certain he is qualified for the job.

Hope this helps
verystormy is offline  
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:30 pm
  #29  
BE Forum Addict
 
Australia_bound?'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: In a house
Posts: 2,590
Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Originally Posted by verystormy View Post
3. Pay - its not as high as many seem to think. Particularly when viewed on a hourly basis. For example the starting salary for ESS is $52k a year for working 2 weeks on one week off split shifts. For actual miners it it can start at about $80k
Wouldn't consider working away from home for $52k a year, simply not worth it. Better money to be had in other sectors, not sure why there's such a focus on the mines? Gas & oil has much more earnings potential & tax breaks
Australia_bound? is offline  
Old Jul 5th 2011, 11:18 pm
  #30  
BE Forum Addict
 
verystormy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 3,321
verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Originally Posted by Australia_bound? View Post
Wouldn't consider working away from home for $52k a year, simply not worth it. Better money to be had in other sectors, not sure why there's such a focus on the mines? Gas & oil has much more earnings potential & tax breaks
Totally agree. Though be carefull of the "tax breaks". Most of the ones that were available have been closed by the goverment. No more nice going off shore and being tax free in Oz. Some of the harshest tax rules in the world now. Most of the Australian geo's i know wont work outside Oz now as its not worth it.

UK still allow it if your not in the UK for more than 90 days. But even if you are resident here for a week they hit you with the full tax
verystormy is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.