Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WORKING IN THE MINES

WORKING IN THE MINES

Old Nov 30th 2011, 4:50 pm
  #46  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: glasgow
Posts: 96
timmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud of
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

This might seem a silly question to you's lot over there, but can you get a job in the mines if your living in Melbourne ?
timmerman is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2011, 1:57 am
  #47  
Proudly Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 24,219
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Originally Posted by timmerman View Post
This might seem a silly question to you's lot over there, but can you get a job in the mines if your living in Melbourne ?
If a mining company or contractor is prepared to hire you on those terms, then yes. People FIFO into WA from all over Australia, and even New Zealand.
Amazulu is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 11:32 pm
  #48  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 11
claire5042 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Hey! I dnt have any skills for the mines i'd be looking at unskilled work? I've working in hospitality for the past 10 years and i'm wanting a change the mines seems more of a challenge and the pay rates are atrractive haha
claire5042 is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 11:46 pm
  #49  
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,130
sheene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Originally Posted by claire5042 View Post
Hey! I dnt have any skills for the mines i'd be looking at unskilled work? I've working in hospitality for the past 10 years and i'm wanting a change the mines seems more of a challenge and the pay rates are atrractive haha
The guy I took over from 2 months ago left to work in the mines - he now wants his old job back. It is certainly a challenge.
sheene is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 11:50 pm
  #50  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 11
claire5042 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Do you work in the mines? From what i've researched its quite difficult to get into if your not skilled? I have a family that i need to support so i wouldn't mind the challenge i'm always up for hard graft
claire5042 is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 12:03 am
  #51  
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,130
sheene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Originally Posted by claire5042 View Post
Do you work in the mines? From what i've researched its quite difficult to get into if your not skilled? I have a family that i need to support so i wouldn't mind the challenge i'm always up for hard graft
Are you talking to me? (Use the quote button so we know)

No, I don't work in the mines - the guy who left is an Engineer, which opens quite a few doors. A couple of acquaintances work driving Dump Trucks in the mines - hard graft, away from home, but the money is good.
sheene is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 12:13 am
  #52  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 228
smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Originally Posted by claire5042 View Post
Do you work in the mines? From what i've researched its quite difficult to get into if your not skilled? I have a family that i need to support so i wouldn't mind the challenge i'm always up for hard graft
I would suggest you get your MR then an F extension (bus) on your license, this will help get you in, they are always in need of bus drivers. When I was living in Newman a friend who had an F extension was always getting calls to help out, she didn't work for them but they knew she could drive a bus. My sister in law has just started fifo, no experience or qualifications but she got the F extension, this got her in.
smee is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 12:16 am
  #53  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 11
claire5042 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Originally Posted by sheene View Post
Are you talking to me? (Use the quote button so we know)

No, I don't work in the mines - the guy who left is an Engineer, which opens quite a few doors. A couple of acquaintances work driving Dump Trucks in the mines - hard graft, away from home, but the money is good.
Yeah sorry all abit new to the forum
claire5042 is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 12:20 am
  #54  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 11
claire5042 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Originally Posted by smee View Post
I would suggest you get your MR then an F extension (bus) on your license, this will help get you in, they are always in need of bus drivers. When I was living in Newman a friend who had an F extension was always getting calls to help out, she didn't work for them but they knew she could drive a bus. My sister in law has just started fifo, no experience or qualifications but she got the F extension, this got her in.
Oh great thanks for your help! I'm not a permant resident of Australia but i'm on a 457 visa which expires 2014 before then were hoping to apply for PR do you know if the mines take 457 visas on or just PR?
claire5042 is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 12:27 am
  #55  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 228
smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Originally Posted by claire5042 View Post
Oh great thanks for your help! I'm not a permant resident of Australia but i'm on a 457 visa which expires 2014 before then were hoping to apply for PR do you know if the mines take 457 visas on or just PR?
Not sure about if you would have much luck being on a 457, the roles of cleaning staff, which also include bus driving are usually permanent positions. Your best off applying, nothing lost by trying but everything to gain.
smee is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 4:22 am
  #56  
Love Machine
 
lumpommer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 150
lumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Guys I know the money is supposed to be very good but do you not encounter and inhale a lot of hazardous dust which is in the air.

Surely this has health implications irrespective of personal tests and screening.

This would worry me

lumpommer is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 9:39 am
  #57  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,936
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Mrs B is an engineer and a geologist. I'd like her to work in the mines but she refuses
Beoz is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 12:24 pm
  #58  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 5
pixie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

I would not recommend flying over to do a two week course. Without naming names my partner did a course, cost alot, had no help after to find a job which was promised. Applied for loads of jobs but nobody interested without at least two years on site experience.

The whole thing was a waste of money but good luck to you anyway!!
pixie1 is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 4:32 pm
  #59  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 228
smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Originally Posted by pixie1 View Post
I would not recommend flying over to do a two week course. Without naming names my partner did a course, cost alot, had no help after to find a job which was promised. Applied for loads of jobs but nobody interested without at least two years on site experience.

The whole thing was a waste of money but good luck to you anyway!!
A course in what???
smee is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 5:08 pm
  #60  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 5
pixie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Driving the massive trucks!!
pixie1 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.