Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Are So Many Going Or Not Posting?

Why Are So Many Going Or Not Posting?

Old Aug 30th 2005, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: Why Are So Many Going Or Not Posting?

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Just read on another thread that Phoenixuk2oz has gone now
Bugger.... we had coffee in Brizzy lined up & everything!
What is going on????
Nooo! ..... wot IS goin on??

I must admit, last night I was considering 'timing out' from the forum for a while. I've upset a few people with either my 'constant' showing pictures of how wonderful Oz was for me, or for 'altering' other peoples pictures! (people in person actually found it funny I must add). This is in 'the Lounge' so maybe you ain't a clue what I'm on about! ...lol, but either way I've had a real bad vibe from the forum lately! ...

Maybe just a 'phase' but one I must admit I feel a tad uncomfortable with at times.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Well the last form of defense is just abuse, so I'd guess calling them mad, or saying they're stupid would be it. Also, picking on spelling mistakes is a good sign they are losing the discussion.

Actually, having thought it through, I can't do my thesis, because I need to understand the corrolation between children bickering and forums. That would require watching children closely... I could get arrested for that

Interesting point about children bickering. Most of these arguements do read like kids in a playground. My theory is that once safe behind the anonimoty of a keyboard many people feel more confident in raising the immature side of their character, which is often supressed in real life for fear of a smack in the face, therefore some people would find a place like this very handy to offload their frustrations with other areas of their life.
Abusing or making another person feel bad means nothing to them as they are doing all this for purely selfish reasons.

I love a good debate, differing of opinions, but often feel on here that i dont want to join in because its more trouble than its worth. I am sure i am not the only one and this is sad because it means otherwise interesting viewpoints and subjects get lost and die because people wont say what they think.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:16 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Maybe just a 'phase' but one I must admit I feel a tad uncomfortable with at times.
You aren't the only one
Originally Posted by Flutterscutter
often feel on here that i dont want to join in because its more trouble than its worth. I am sure i am not the only one and this is sad because it means otherwise interesting viewpoints and subjects get lost and die because people wont say what they think.
You aren't the only one.

Am I repeating myself

Originally Posted by diddy
Gotta say, having had a while away from the forum, I thought it's really cleaned itself since when I joined last year.

There's always gonna be planks squabbling over the same old stuff. It's a part of the forum, but honestly, it's alot better than it used to be.
It feels different this time, but I can't put my finger on the exact difference.

Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:07 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Like stock market crashes, there will probably always be a difference, each time this sort of thing happens. In my opinion, the current depression is not as bad as the previous one in the run up to last Christmas.

A
Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:21 am
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

It feels different this time, but I can't put my finger on the exact difference.[/QUOTE]

(This is me being nice honestly ) I think its to do with old and new posters,( top dogs and wannabes ) someone should do i poll to get to the bottom of it (before i lose worrying about it )i would but i don't know how!
Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lor
It feels different this time, but I can't put my finger on the exact difference.
(This is me being nice honestly ) I think its to do with old and new posters,( top dogs and wannabes ) someone should do i poll to get to the bottom of it (before i lose worrying about it )i would but i don't know how! [/QUOTE]

PMSL

You and i think alike!

At times its like watching a David Attenborough doco with a community of baboons jockying for position and heirachy within the pack. Each trying to outdo the other and claim a crown.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:30 am
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

It could also be a caveman thing!
shit I'm meant to be on my best behaviour
Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:32 am
lor
BE Forum Addict

(You and i think alike!) and Ive got a chest (real one) to match
Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:37 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

In life, we tend to gravitate towards the 'same', whether unconciously or purposely so although we may think we are broadminded and open to all types of people and opinions, this probably isn't the case. If you are a Guardian reader and get stuck with the Daily Mail, you would soon have rising blood pressure and be grinding your teeth. Same applies to the Forum.

I was initially appalled at some opinions expressed on here, then realised that I was being narrow minded and expecting others to feel the same as me on those hot topics of immigration, migration etc etc. Doesn't mean I like some poster's opinions, just that if I feel myself getting hot under the collar I just stop reading.

It is a huge melting pot of people and its unlikely that everyone will get on. That's life.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:54 am
Adopt me????!!!!!

serdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Centurion
I have wondered over the last few weeks if some people realise that they are dealing with real human beings at the other end of a computer. Each one of us has dreams, hopes, desires and fears. It takes something special to post those feelings onto a forum, to bear your albeit nameless soul to the internet.

Everyone is different and with different opinions and thats what makes this life so great. There's no arguments to be won here, just a collection of opinions, each one completely right as long as that person really believes it so.

Each one of us makes a forum what it is. To have the same opinions would be dull and boring, but to treat each other with respect and civility shouldnt be that hard. Some individuals should be ashamed of the behaviour recently and thank goodness they are able to hide behind computer screens. To everybody else - thank you for making this forum what it is and for keeping my hopes alive during the most stressful of times over the last couple of years.
As unaware as I am of all the apparent squabbles....what I do support is someone's opinion and right to speak it...whether or not I agree with it....is not relevant. Having said that...there is something wrong with someone who is just plain cruel either they have nothing else to do, or they are so narrow minded, imagination escapes them. Either way, I feel for them all. The good, the bad, and the ugly.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lor
(You and i think alike!) and Ive got a chest (real one) to match

Ahhhh, BUT, do you have the bottom as well?
Old Aug 31st 2005, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I Really enjoy the people that criticise Australia, in a well thought out manner, it gives me a oppotunity to take check on whats happening here, and question my values.

I really despise, and feel it's in insult to ones intelligence, that some people get personally abusive over such criticism. Which ever side of the argument one is.

Seeing as a lot of people have mentioned Wombat, he is one poster that knows how to refrain, from personally insulting people. He may insult the argument but never the poster.

I think people should be more liberal with their use of the Ignore button, against the people that get personal.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 31st 2005 at 2:11 am.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I feel like an "exclusive" style clique has moved on, and the debates could well be more inclusive from now

Lets see eh
Old Aug 31st 2005, 4:02 am
Just Joined

big sis has a brilliant futurebig sis has a brilliant futurebig sis has a brilliant futurebig sis has a brilliant futurebig sis has a brilliant futurebig sis has a brilliant future

After having frequented a few forums for a number of years now I've come to the conclusion that they ALL seem to have a, roughly, six month cycle. Usually everything is running smoothly, reasonable politeness abounds and then every six months or so there seems to be general flair up where one or two threads, for whatever reason, degenerate into abuse and name calling. Then you get the threads like this one calling for calm and civility and things go all quiet for the next six months until the drama starts again.

Personally I love the drama, very entertaining. I just sit back, get out the popcorn, have a and watch the blood letting
Old Aug 31st 2005, 5:10 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not on the forum much anymore lately.
This hasn't got to do with other people, but myself.

First of all, I've spent way to much time on the forum over the last 2 years.
I now read less posts(try to avoid the long ones, ones that could be arguments), so that means I post less, which gets me less emails in my inbox saying someone's replied to a thread, which means that I don't go onto the forum as much.

I also don't like the way I get so personally involved in things sometimes. If there's an argument I feel strongly about, and I respond, I can't let go, I have to keep checking the thread to see what other people say. Sometimes I don't even want to go to bed, because if someone replies, I'm afraid they might've misunderstood me, so I want to be able to respond immediately. :scared: :-( I also sometimes am so convinced I'm right, I can't let go and can't except other people's different opinions.
So, obviously this isn't very healthy, so I'm trying to stay away...
Then there's the fact that I sometimes misunderstand people, and people misunderstand me, which leads to all sorts of not pleasant situations
And IMO, that's where a lot of this mess comes from, people misunderstanding each other.
Well, and the personal attacks of course, which is just unacceptable.
Thing is, what one person may see as a personal attack, the other might not think so, like they really did mean it as a joke, but the other didn't take it that way....That's the misunderstanding again....

Also, Phoenix who has now left, I'm assuming because of personal attacks(?), actually has hounded and attacked someone on here in the past herself! Not that this gives anyone a right to attack her (if that's the case), but I'm just saying. Oh, and she has of course apologised for that attack etc in the past.

Anyway... I haven't noticed the forum has got 'worse' lately, but then, I've been trying to avoid the longer threads...
Still, this has been going on forever and ever, on all forums, and will not stop. As has been said, it's all to do with all the different people and situations on here. And the 'anonimity' of it all(some people), and it's written text(with a few smilies thrown in), it's different than talking.

People should just stay away if it's getting to much(like I'm trying to do!), I don't see the point of deleting ones account(if I did that, I'd still be on here reading all the threads and getting worked up anyway )

Right, hope I've been clear :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.