Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why is Perth so popular with Brits?

Why is Perth so popular with Brits?

Old Jun 5th 2009, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why is Perth so popular with Brits?

Just wondering why so many people who, having immigrated to Perth decide its not for them and so move back to the UK - why not try another state in Australia?
Old Jun 5th 2009, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TandC23
Just wondering why so many people who, having immigrated to Perth decide its not for them and so move back to the UK - why not try another state in Australia?
Some do but in my opinion the main reasons why people do not go East are,
People coming to Perth are moving to the most remote city on the Australian Continent in an already remote country and these two factors can compound the feeling of remoteness and being far from home and loved ones making it too hard to bear.
Another could be the cost of setting up in another state especially if relocating as a family.Australia is not a cheap country as i am sure you are aware.
There is a lot involved looking for another rental ,schools for kids,and now the job market is soft the hassle of that as well,at least at the moment,as half a year or so it was not an issue for most.
Others i guess just come to the conclusion it is not for them and find the suburban lifestyle not all it's cracked out to be.
Then again a vast number do like it.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 6:07 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

l think considering the cost and upheaval of moving thousands of miles east they probably think its easier just to move back to the UK and also they might not understand how different it is over on the east side compared to Perth and think its probably no better over there. Also where to live in the eastern states, its huge diverse place, Queensland is totally different from Victoria, do they have the time and money to travel all along the east coast , Brisbane, Sydney Melbourne or Tassie, finding the best palce to live? l think the people who are in the best position before immigrating to OZ are those who have spent a gap year backpacking around all the counrty and have seen most of it and can compare one part of the country to another.

Last edited by mohogony; Jun 5th 2009 at 6:11 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 9:27 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Why is Perth so popular with Brits?

I'm a Perth boy born and bred, but I'll be moving back to Adelaide when I go home later this year.

With all the new legoland suburbs built to accommodate the flood of Poms and Saffas looking for cheap high density housing, Perth has changed too much. I just hope they leave places like Guildford alone; I'd hate to see them ruined.

Anyone who bought or built in the hills (Boya, Darlington, Sawyers Valley, Gidgegannup, Stoneville, etc.) is very well situated, IMHO. It'll take years for the urban tribes to creep out that far, since most development follows the vertical north/south divide.

In any case, Perth is far too hot for me these days (yes, Adelaide is stupidly hot too, but not quite as bad). 15 years in Tassie left me completely acclimatised to cold weather, which I now prefer; hell, I even love British weather!
Old Jun 5th 2009, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

Even if they pay $300k a year....

Some west Australians I know, like the work and play here with a few investment properties over East.....

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
As an Aussie I completely agree with that view.

I would rather slit my wrists than move anywhere in WA.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

sunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by northernlights
Perth is more British than Britain thesedays. True Blue Aussies are becoming a rarity here. All teachers, nurses, shop assistants, etc seem to be from UK. I personally don't feel like I'm living in Australia at all.

Perth feels like Milton Keynes 20 years ago, people from Birmingham, London and everywhere, new housing, new shopping centres, drive to get anywhere, bland and lacking soul (Northern Suburbs only, as I live there). Although for my family, Perth is a better option than UK right now..

I agree with you that a lot of the new estates are soulless, and I did once go to Joondalup - which is very like Milton Keynes, but it's not compulsory for all the British that come here to live up there together.
I don't understand why people move half way across the world, then form their own little community when they get there.
I know it's not just the British that do this, and it happens worldwide.

I'm in the Western Suburbs, and it's not at all as you describe it.
We have beautiful federation houses, tree lined streets, quaint little shopping centers and there's nothing British about it at all.

If someone chooses the laidback, slower pace of life Perth offers, you can look around and find what suits your lifestyle - whether it be to live up in the Northern suburbs with a lot of other Brits, or one of the many other suburbs that offer a more traditional Aussie way of life.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

wanneroo is 16% poms, so not sure where you get your figures from.

Originally Posted by sunnyskies
I agree with you that a lot of the new estates are soulless, and I did once go to Joondalup - which is very like Milton Keynes, but it's not compulsory for all the British that come here to live up there together.
I don't understand why people move half way across the world, then form their own little community when they get there.
I know it's not just the British that do this, and it happens worldwide.

I'm in the Western Suburbs, and it's not at all as you describe it.
We have beautiful federation houses, tree lined streets, quaint little shopping centers and there's nothing British about it at all.

If someone chooses the laidback, slower pace of life Perth offers, you can look around and find what suits your lifestyle - whether it be to live up in the Northern suburbs with a lot of other Brits, or one of the many other suburbs that offer a more traditional Aussie way of life.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

sunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
wanneroo is 16% poms, so not sure where you get your figures from.
Hi La Vida Loca,

Originally Posted by northernlights
Perth is more British than Britain thesedays. True Blue Aussies are becoming a rarity here. All teachers, nurses, shop assistants, etc seem to be from UK. I personally don't feel like I'm living in Australia at all.

This from Northernlights is what I'm getting at.
From my experience here Perth is full of 'True Blue Aussies' with a smattering of other nationals.
Northernlights infers that Perth is 'more British than Britain' - and I'm sure if you seek out and choose to live in an expat hotspot it probably is - but I personally haven't found Perth to be like that.

Sunnyskies
Old Jun 6th 2009, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnyskies
Hi La Vida Loca,

From my experience here Perth is full of 'True Blue Aussies' with a smattering of other nationals.
Northernlights infers that Perth is 'more British than Britain' - and I'm sure if you seek out and choose to live in an expat hotspot it probably is - but I personally haven't found Perth to be like that.
I reckon there is a polarisation between Premiership plate Poms and the traditional Godzone True Blue Aussie. And the two could easily clash.

So you have to be clever about your choice. Renth for example.

Here in Melbourne SE after massive growth, it is still quite rare to hear an English accent, and I have never see a plate.

Never have understood the obsession with the BBQ. Like the big blocks and semi-rural and the full package, but having a meal outside near a colorbond fence does not really appeal.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:06 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I reckon there is a polarisation between Premiership plate Poms and the traditional Godzone True Blue Aussie. And the two could easily clash.
Just look at the Mullalloo Australia Day riot a couple of years ago. That started off Poms Vs Aussies.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:17 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

maybe they think its all the same? To me WA is how I expected australia to be, vast open space, red dirt, kangaroos etc I was gobsmacked to find the east so different like being in another country all together.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by renth
Just look at the Mullalloo Australia Day riot a couple of years ago. That started off Poms Vs Aussies.
lol, that shows there are w**kers of all nationalities!
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Possums
maybe they think its all the same? To me WA is how I expected australia to be, vast open space, red dirt, kangaroos etc I was gobsmacked to find the east so different like being in another country all together.
It is I suppose. Even here close to the Dandenongs where roos bounce through our yard, in some ways it is closer to alpine Europe/south of France/ continental Germany than you might give credit for.

We would have to go along way to find red dirt and desert.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of Brits on the Mornington Peninsula and Frankston area always have been. Most people who live around here would have a relative, parent or grandparent from Britain. All you have to do is go to Karingal Hub and you will hear plenty of English accents. Most of them are elderly now and have been here for yonks.

In fact this morning I was in Myer and the lady asked Mum had she been here long not long really just since 1968.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
l think considering the cost and upheaval of moving thousands of miles east they probably think its easier just to move back to the UK and also they might not understand how different it is over on the east side compared to Perth and think its probably no better over there. Also where to live in the eastern states, its huge diverse place, Queensland is totally different from Victoria, do they have the time and money to travel all along the east coast , Brisbane, Sydney Melbourne or Tassie, finding the best palce to live? l think the people who are in the best position before immigrating to OZ are those who have spent a gap year backpacking around all the counrty and have seen most of it and can compare one part of the country to another.
Absolutely correct.If in a position to back pack even when past the gap year i always encourage people to do so.
Even in ones thirties it can be very rewarding in three or four months not long but a lot of Oz can be covered and often at that age one has a little more money to play with and not have to seek out work at any pit stop.
Take the opportunity and see a bit of Asia enroute also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.