Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why is Perth so popular with Brits?

Why is Perth so popular with Brits?

Old May 21st 2009, 5:28 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Why is Perth so popular with Brits?

Originally Posted by Weebie
I'm a Perth boy and I have never understood why so many Brits come out here. For me (I'm 24) growing up in City Beach was a great childhood but to be honest When I have kids I won't be in Perth...It's just not the same city anymore.

You hear about all the english that come here but you don't hear about the ones who leave or go home...and its a lot!!
Well here i am Weebie, a pom who came to Perth then went back home!!! lol. 3 years in Perth was far too long and every single pom i met in Perth has returned to UK too except one. And they are on their way back in August
Old May 21st 2009, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Gemnic is a jewel in the roughGemnic is a jewel in the roughGemnic is a jewel in the roughGemnic is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Well here i am Weebie, a pom who came to Perth then went back home!!! lol. 3 years in Perth was far too long and every single pom i met in Perth has returned to UK too except one. And they are on their way back in August
Why did they return? Just, were thinking of going to Perth as I have family and extended family there.

G x
Old May 21st 2009, 10:02 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here over 6 years, love it. No plans to go to the UK - Are you insane?

Kids have got in to a great high school. I'd have to be mad to leave.

I don't know any poms who have gone back, but have heard anecdotally that lots do.
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:48 pm
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all

I'm a Perth boy and I have never understood why so many Brits come out here. For me (I'm 24) growing up in City Beach was a great childhood but to be honest When I have kids I won't be in Perth...It's just not the same city anymore.

You hear about all the english that come here but you don't hear about the ones who leave or go home...and its a lot!!
Where will you be?

Will you be another ping ponger

Carol
Old May 22nd 2009, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

People think far too much, too deep for me.

I have been fortunate as some others, to live in the East , ping to the Uk and then back to Aus to live in Perth.

Have to say there is plenty of poms where I am, purely due to the suburbs expanding and the economics of it, migrants have to go somewhere cant all live in Nedlands if you have the cash.

Perth and WA has been great to me, but deep down I prefer the East.

It wasnt my choice I went were the work was, as like others need to earn more these days due to the high cost of living.

I can see people fustration however when they see the British/irish/scottish/welsh image of thuggery and chav mentality coming through, it sure is a sad sight which no one can do anything about.
Old May 23rd 2009, 1:57 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Victoria and NSW are the two best states to live in in my opinion, thats why the majority of the population of OZ lives there. Queenslands nice for a holiday but l would'nt want to live there and Perth is just a small city in the middle of nowhere surrounded by thousands of miles of nothingness
Old May 23rd 2009, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
... Queenslands nice for a holiday but l would'nt want to live there...
Funny, that's what we say about NSW and Vic
Old May 23rd 2009, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by La Vida loca

I can see people fustration however when they see the British/irish/scottish/welsh image of thuggery and chav mentality coming through, it sure is a sad sight which no one can do anything about.
What's this about??
Old May 23rd 2009, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

If you read further back in British Expats you will find quite a few who gave up on Perth for various reasons and retuned to UK.
Usually the young so it is boring here and leave but some return to breed so seem contary to that.
In what way in your opinion is Perth not the same anymore?
Old May 23rd 2009, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eeksy
We have family in various parts of Oz including Perth. We've done Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Brisbane, Gold Coast etc but all roads send us back to Perth. Can't put my finger on it. We're not living there yet but that's where we're heading.
Inclined to agree as that is a hard one to figure out.
Old May 24th 2009, 3:36 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

l would die of boredom in one week living in Perth, especially in one of those legoland suburbs. The eastern states are the best thats why 90% of the population of OZ lives there and not WA. No one gets bored in Sydeny or Melbourne. Read the moving back to UK forum most of them are leaving Perth not Victoria or NSW. Over in the East Perth is considered a small redneck mining town in the middle of nowhere inhabited by South Africans escaping after the fall of Apartide looking for somewhere nice and white and thousands Pom immigrants all packed togther in the same little Britain suburbs whinging about the flies.

Last edited by mohogony; May 24th 2009 at 3:57 am.
Old May 24th 2009, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

l would die of boredom in one week living in Perth, especially in one of those legoland suburbs. The eastern states are the best thats why 90% of the population of OZ lives there and not WA. No one gets bored in Sydeny or Melbourne. Read the moving back to UK forum most of them are leaving Perth not Victoria or NSW. Over in the East Perth is considered a small redneck mining town in the middle of nowhere inhabited by White South Africans escaping after the fall of Apartide and thousands Pom immigrants.
As an Aussie I completely agree with that view.

I would rather slit my wrists than move anywhere in WA.
Old May 24th 2009, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

l would die of boredom in one week living in Perth, especially in one of those legoland suburbs. The eastern states are the best thats why 90% of the population of OZ lives there and not WA. No one gets bored in Sydeny or Melbourne. Read the moving back to UK forum most of them are leaving Perth not Victoria or NSW. Over in the East Perth is considered a small redneck mining town in the middle of nowhere inhabited by South Africans escaping after the fall of Apartide looking for somewhere nice and white and thousands Pom immigrants all packed togther in the same little Britain suburbs whinging about the flies.
Although living in Perth and trying to make the best of it must agree to most of the above post.
It has though become far more cosmopolitan in the recent few years which is very evident in the city centre but sadly somewhat lacking in places of interest to go,generally folk here not so out going and hence difficult to meet,if a couple sans children then even more so.
Brits whom i know seem divided on the merits of life here although in recent times am hearing a lot more negativity.
Perth is still a little red neck being noticable out in certain Burbs but i guess the same applies over East in certain areas also,but here there is also a great degree of unworldy people which is just as frustrating especially when they take such delight in being so.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:37 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Oh boy!

Have you ever done any business in NSW?

I used to think that Arkon was a bit OTT in his criticisms - I now realise he was very very lenient.
LOL! I too think I was very lenient but you know there is no telling some folk. They want to hear only good things and stuff their heads in the sand.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Some people who love small city living, the bush and the beaches might love it.
Not many really though - the only forumer I know who is into the beach and actually getting stuck in is Hutch.

But your average Brit in Perth is probably more into the 4x4 with Premiership plates and a 6 burner BBQ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.