Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why is Perth so popular with Brits?

Why is Perth so popular with Brits?

Old Jun 6th 2009, 8:16 am
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why is Perth so popular with Brits?

i only come here for work to be truthfully honest.

Give me my job in Brisbane, and I would be straight back into Cleveland drinking piss in Raby Bay and samplign the delights of the GV looking out to sea.

Beautiful one day and perfect the next......
Old Jun 6th 2009, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

So where do i start,
1990 things bad in mining village we lived in, miners on strike,taking work from my hubby(painter/decorator).They were doing it for a pittance and getting food handouts,clothing etc.With unemployment high in the village,shops closing,drugs etc.Iam a nurse and we decided to emigrate after thinking what lifestyle our family could have.Homes were cheaper than even Yorkshire,kids loved fishing,beach etc etc.Knew we would do well and i had moved away from my mum,sisters when i married.(Dundee Scotland).Took some getting used to, all the old bombs in Perth hardly any new cars. Nurses i worked with at SJGH were either Scottish or Irish, also one or two English.We all settled very quickly,jobs,joining clubs,beach bashing and so on.

Fast forward 18 years,3 grandies and one on the way.We are returning to Scotland sometime this year to live. Now this wasn't innitially my choice. Oh wanted more than getting pissed around a bbq and point scoring with the outlaws!! I miss my mum and sisters and love history,culture.Took a while after the initial shock and bucket loads of tears but agreed to go back,only if it meant to Scotland.(thought that would put him off)but bugger me he said ok.

Anyhoo,just to say Perth wasn't a popular destination for emigrating poms almost 20 years ago.If we hadn't emigrated here i wouldn't have my beautiful grandchildren and my kids are all in loving and happy relationships now (well that might change if i get a call tomorrow from one of them in the huff with their oh).

Never thought i would be heading back to live in UK.Thought i would only be going back in an urn to be scattered in the highlands.!!!
Old Jun 8th 2009, 2:36 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

You either love Perth or you hate it. It depends on what sort of person you are and what you are used to. If you like the great outdoors, water sports and a relaxed pace of life then Perth is Perthect! Personally, I hate Sydney but I can see why other kinds of people would like it (homosexuals, agoraphobics and workaholics for example!) Like others, the price of property 5 years ago was a major factor for us coming here, which isn’t the case anymore but the jobs are still there on good money if you are prepared to earn it.

Yes there are loads of poms here and if you want to live in the UK + sun next door to other poms who think dressing up is wearing next seasons Chelski top there are areas where that is possible. I heard a few months back of one area of Clarkson where parents from the south of England won’t let their kids play with northerners and vice versa. FFS!

But there are kiwis, saffas and hundreds of other nationalities here who know a good thing when they see it. Even most of the Aussies I meet are originally from other states. I even work next to a Collingwood supporter! It is a multi-cultural society with very few racial issues, when you compare it to the UK, Sydney or Melbourne.

I can only recall meeting two families who didn’t stay. But I know dozens more that go into a cold sweat just at the though of going back to the UK, even for a holiday. Of course most of those don’t post on forums anymore as they are living their new lives, whereas those that are unhappy are looking for support.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Mrsyorkie1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sunnyskies
lol, that shows there are w**kers of all nationalities!
It does. We live near Bradford and had the riots of the muslims trashing the city and setting fire to everything. I hate living here. We've just spent a weekend away with the kids and were kept up all night in the B&B by 2 pissed up women in the next room. Not sure if anyone knows of Karen Matthewes (mum who arranged her daughters kidnappiong) but that was the type. Sometimes I am embarrased to be a Brit!
We are looking at Perth. A friend lives in Madeley and loves it. I've looked at Mandurah (because someone here said how they liked it) Brits moving to Australia rely on the veterans knowledge of location etc.
My ideal place would be walking distance of the beach, but that's because being a woman my priorities are different. I work from home so I can be anywhere, my husband needs to be where the work is.
Do people emigrate to "live the dream" and if they do, is there anything wrong in that?
We live near the Yorkshire Dales, yes it is beautiful but you get used to the view.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[/QUOTE]

Good points there Worzel.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
You either love Perth or you hate it. It depends on what sort of person you are and what you are used to. If you like the great outdoors, water sports and a relaxed pace of life then Perth is Perthect! Personally, I hate Sydney but I can see why other kinds of people would like it (homosexuals, agoraphobics and workaholics for example!) Like others, the price of property 5 years ago was a major factor for us coming here, which isn’t the case anymore but the jobs are still there on good money if you are prepared to earn it.

Yes there are loads of poms here and if you want to live in the UK + sun next door to other poms who think dressing up is wearing next seasons Chelski top there are areas where that is possible. I heard a few months back of one area of Clarkson where parents from the south of England won’t let their kids play with northerners and vice versa. FFS!
If you were a tradie moving to Perth in 2002-2004 you would be laughing now and well ensconced in your home and lifestyle.

Even the people who moved back would now be laughing - thanks to Perth's boom.

I reckon some of the Perth urban legends have a degree of truth about them and are worth a laugh!
Old Jun 9th 2009, 1:08 am
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont forget the Chelsea Plates or Man Utd Plates......I even spotted a AVFC and Boro plate up North in one drive through...amazing...

Go into a few pommy boozers and its like the tardis, takes you back to a boozer in pommyland before a soccer game, great atmosphere for the odd nostalgic occasion, wouldnt say I do it more than once a year however....

Old Jun 9th 2009, 1:17 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
Dont forget the Chelsea Plates or Man Utd Plates......I even spotted a AVFC and Boro plate up North in one drive through...amazing...
But for everyone of those there is another car with a window sticker like FIFO (Fit In or F**k Off) or If you don't love it, leave. I wish I could find those stickers to buy.

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
Go into a few pommy boozers and its like the tardis, takes you back to a boozer in pommyland before a soccer game, great atmosphere for the odd nostalgic occasion, wouldnt say I do it more than once a year however....
I know what you mean. The Woodvale Tavern is a perfect example. I also like to go there once or twice a year to remind myself why I moved.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 1:18 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
If you were a tradie moving to Perth in 2002-2004 you would be laughing now and well ensconced in your home and lifestyle.
Even a professional who moved here in 2005 could be well set.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 1:48 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

It's now 20 days since I replied to this thread, despite the fact that I've never been to Perth. Is my opinion more valid than those who live there? Oh and in the four pages preceeding this, did we find out why Perth's so popular with Brits. Because, like, I want to know.

Old Jun 9th 2009, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Even a professional who moved here in 2005 could be well set.
Couldn't remember when the boom hit etc(!) and made allowances for some money to be made! Those were the times when I did the move so they stick! Back in those days everyone was saying how hard it was for professional workers.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 2:11 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Couldn't remember when the boom hit etc(!) and made allowances for some money to be made! Those were the times when I did the move so they stick! Back in those days everyone was saying how hard it was for professional workers.
You are probably right; I was on the cusp. 12 months earlier and I would now be living in a large house in a beach-side suburb but I still got on the property ladder before it went really crazy.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

If you like the great outdoors, water sports and a relaxed pace of life then Perth is Perthect!
We are not at all into the boating, camping, fishing thing [shudder] - and yet we think "Perth is Perthect" (to quote Worzel ). There is just sooooo much to do here. And the weather is great! Even now in winter it gets to 20 degrees and above after lunchtime.

During the week it's pretty much the old work, eat, sleep routine - but at the weekend we're always doing something.

And the pace of life is definitely a bit more relaxed here, even in the corporate world, and we enjoy that too.