Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why I've been forced to shop in the US rather than Australia

Why I've been forced to shop in the US rather than Australia

Old Sep 24th 2008, 6:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why I've been forced to shop in the US rather than Australia

Originally Posted by Dimond
What are the customs & GST charges on this kind of purchase?
If the shipment is under AUD1000 then no duty or GST is payable.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Dimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really nice
Smile Re: Why I've been forced to shop in the US rather than Australia

That is very generous- its about £30 in the UK. Take advantage of it!
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

I think this thread shows just how bad/immature internet shopping is in Australia. Most every post on this thread slates the ability to source a wide range of goods at a reasonable price from within Australia. As I mentioned, the domestic Oz market is not big enough and "generally" I believe people who have grown up in Oz and not seen how commerce is done in the wider world are not savvy enough to shop intelligently from the internet.
I am talking about your red-necks and archetypal she'll be right drongos who plagued the area I lived in. City based Australians may be a bit wiser to internet shopping I guess......but we are still talking very few people.

Once people start to get savvy and drive their shopping habits to foreign stores via the internet the domestic Oz market may react.....but I fear it will take many many years simply because the market is so small.

My wife hated shopping in Oz....simply because it was shite unless we went to Sydney. My kids school uniform in Oz HAD to be bought from a certain store, the clothes were made in Oz and shite quality and mega $$$s. We came back to the UK, bought super quality school clothes and in didn't cost a fortune. 5 quid for a pair of teflon coated boys trousers from M&S.......adjustable waist bands, belt loops, zipped back pockets.....perfect for boys.

UK shopping is one thing we are really enjoying.....but our change in attitude from our Oz experience tells us to do it during the week and enjoy the weekend for family/sport type stuff. Oz did benefit us - I don't want to run the place down all the time!
Old Sep 24th 2008, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
That is astonishing. Just shows how we are getting worked! I still can't get over the "crappy made in china fall apart in five seconds" tops from Sportsgirl priced at $90. Students must have plenty of money these days. And the plastic handbags and shoes costing $150
What is it with all the horrible plastic ladies bags, shoes and boots at the moment in Oz! You are hard pressed to find anything nice in leather these days.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 10:56 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
What is it with all the horrible plastic ladies bags, shoes and boots at the moment in Oz! You are hard pressed to find anything nice in leather these days.
Ferrals...
Old Sep 25th 2008, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
Leather in Australia! Not unless you want to roast to death in summer!

SAAB had to redesign their interior car designs for shipment to Australia as the seating was all in leather! No one here would buy that.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 12:26 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Oz did benefit us - I don't want to run the place down all the time!
Just 99.999999% of the time, eh. Gotta keep things balanced, after all.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 12:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok it seems this thread is turning into 'mass generalisation statements based on small area' as usual. Links are useful though, although I can't be arsed to buy clothes via the internet. Have enough trouble finding stuff to fit properly in shops (here and in the UK) without buying untried and then sending back.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Just 99.999999% of the time, eh. Gotta keep things balanced, after all.

That's your opinion. I think I have tried to give an honest view of our experiences. The fact they don't appear pro-Oz or positive all the time does not mean they are not true or represent one side of a threads balanced argument. Having said that I know many posts can be made in haste that come across different to how they were intended to come across...including mine.