Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Local UK Radio via internet in Oz

Local UK Radio via internet in Oz

Old Aug 9th 2008, 10:34 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold
Default Local UK Radio via internet in Oz

Wondered if anyone could help.

I'm trying to listen to BBC Radio Wiltshire via the internet. However, it keeps saying I need to download 'realplayer' which is free. I did this and then it started on about a 14 day free trial for it. Well if its free I wouldn't need a 14 day free trial.

I don't understand why I need to download 'reralplayer' when I can listen perfectly well to the national BBC radio stations without it.

Can anyone offer any advice. Thanks
Old Aug 9th 2008, 11:48 am
Just Joined

byfords is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Local UK Radio via internet in Oz

yep

you have downlaoded the wrong version ( not a major issue)if you type in realplayer freeware one it will install the correct one
Old Aug 9th 2008, 12:31 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

I've downloaded realplayer but I still can't get BBC Radio Wiltshire working.

I give up. I still don't understand why I don't need it for BBC Radio 4 or Radio 5 live ArHHHH !! I have Microsoft Media , wwhy do I need Real player ? !!!

Originally Posted by byfords
yep

you have downlaoded the wrong version ( not a major issue)if you type in realplayer freeware one it will install the correct one

Last edited by BAY; Aug 9th 2008 at 12:33 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

byfords is an unknown quantity at this point

its the BBC it is somthing to do with copywright in the uk you dont need it but overseas you do.

try uninstalling realplayer completely then downloading "realplayer free" type that into google and install version 11. the only alternative is to find a bit of software that will decode a real audio stream file.

youll do all this and then the bbc will chnage its mind !!!
Old Sep 24th 2008, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Bunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really nice

All is not lost ! - Many stations can still be heard live from outside the UK (but not all) www.radiofeeds.co.uk
Old Sep 24th 2008, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

autorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bunna_Wabbit
All is not lost ! - Many stations can still be heard live from outside the UK (but not all) www.radiofeeds.co.uk
What about British TV? Mainly BBC?

Has anyone tried the BBC iPlayer in Oz?!? I'm sure it won't work :-(

Don't know if I can live without Question Time! (and a few others!)
Old Sep 24th 2008, 10:05 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
I've downloaded realplayer but I still can't get BBC Radio Wiltshire working.

I give up. I still don't understand why I don't need it for BBC Radio 4 or Radio 5 live ArHHHH !! I have Microsoft Media , wwhy do I need Real player ? !!!
whenever I've tried to listed to bbc readio on internet it has streamed with WMP. Can you post the link you are connecting with?
Old Sep 25th 2008, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by autorock

Correct - iplayer will only work in the UK, because it looks at your IP address, then your service priovder and knows your rough location.

But there are ways around it of course - some people connect to a syatem that is based in the UK that then streams the feed overseas. But you just need to find one...
Old Sep 25th 2008, 12:01 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
Wondered if anyone could help.

I'm trying to listen to BBC Radio Wiltshire via the internet. However, it keeps saying I need to download 'realplayer' which is free. I did this and then it started on about a 14 day free trial for it. Well if its free I wouldn't need a 14 day free trial.

I don't understand why I need to download 'reralplayer' when I can listen perfectly well to the national BBC radio stations without it.

Can anyone offer any advice. Thanks

Check out this web site.... http://www.listenlive.eu/uk.html

Just down load the free Real Player.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Bunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really nice

Originally Posted by autorock

Because your PC is not based in the UK your Australian IP (internet) address prevents you from accessing BBC iplayer content etc. However, for the technically minded, there are ways around it (see this excellent guide referenced on a previous thread : http://www.thatstheplan.com/?page_id=211

For UK Radio: Download and install the free "Real Alternative" player : http://www.filehippo.com/download_real_alternative/ then use the links referenced in previous replies (above) to find your stations.

.....I write this whilst listening to 'Steve Wright in the afternoon' on BBC Radio 2 (or should that be 'Steve Wright in the evening' !?! )