Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do most Sydney restaurants welcome kids in the evening?

Do most Sydney restaurants welcome kids in the evening?

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of
Default Do most Sydney restaurants welcome kids in the evening?

Hi Folks

We are heading to Sydney in 2 weeks for a holiday/reccie. I have visited twice before but never with kids. Are most restaurants in the city centre welcoming to kids in the evening? I am bringing my 14 year old son and plan to have a break from the cooking and eat out as often as possible!

Any info greatly appreciated - cheers!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

best4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do most Sydney restaurants welcome kids in the evening?

We were in Sydney for 4 days with 2 kids and everywhere we visited were really friendly towards them. I think they are more family orientated than the UK. Alot of the places have sitting areas outside.

Are you touring or stopping in Sydney for your holidays?
Old Sep 24th 2008, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of

Thanks for your response - good to hear that most places are child-friendly! We are staying in Sydney for 3 weeks, not touring this time, did that on my last visit. We plan to move to Sydney in 2010 so it's really important that we show my son a really good time on this holiday because I know that he may take a bit of convincing, at 16 years old, to move to the other side of the world!
Did you enjoy your stay in Sydney?
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

coansha is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, we go up to Sydney for our city fix quite often, all are great with kids, the major food guide here has a link, http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...urant-reviews/
so check it out, depending on your taste and pocket.
I would say around the rocks weekend is excellent, nice cafes and restaurants, shops etc and sunday morning market.
Perhaps a bridge climb or jet boat ride in harbour? Balmoral beach at weekend is lovely too and without fail Bondi (icebergs is very trendy but a little costly) I am sure all the beach babes will not be lost on him with summer coming.
I would not bother with the tower as mine thought it boring, they enjoyed the old gaol at Darlinghurst and if old enough (your son would be) wanted to do a ghost tour at the rocks.
Loads of free maps about and check for bus/train/ferry passes as it is easier than driving and trying to park.

Good luck
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:22 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coansha
Hi there, we go up to Sydney for our city fix quite often, all are great with kids, the major food guide here has a link, http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...urant-reviews/
I would say around the rocks weekend is excellent, nice cafes and restaurants, shops etc and sunday morning market.
Perhaps a bridge climb or jet boat ride in harbour? Balmoral beach at weekend is lovely too and without fail Bondi (icebergs is very trendy but a little costly) I am sure all the beach babes will not be lost on him with summer coming.
I would not bother with the tower as mine thought it boring, they enjoyed the old gaol at Darlinghurst and if old enough (your son would be) wanted to do a ghost tour at the rocks.
Loads of free maps about and check for bus/train/ferry passes as it is easier than driving and trying to park.

Good luck
As long as kids are well behaved, you'll find Syndey is far more welcoming to you eating out than they are in the UK.
Italian and Thai places, plus Chinese seem to be much more welcoming than others in my experience. Avoid 'City Extra' - it's touristy and horribly expensive.
Hope you enjoy your trip.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:31 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

At 14 I'd think he'd be tolerated in even the most anal/pretentious places.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:40 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seasider
At 14 I'd think he'd be tolerated in even the most anal/pretentious places.
OMG! I didn't read the original post! 14?!
He's pretty much an adult.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Smile Re: Do most Sydney restaurants welcome kids in the evening?

Originally Posted by coansha

Good luck
Thanks for all this info. Yeah we definitely plan to do the bridge climb as probably won't be able to afford it when we move there! We're staying in Coogee so also plan to do the beachy stuff and try out some surfing (who am I kidding - be lucky if I can get upright!). Hadn't heard of the old gaol, sounds interesting. Off now to check out the restaurant reviews - cheers
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

best4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

We loved Sydney. Our friends live 2 hours north, so we spent the last 4 days of our holidays last year in Sydney. We had a fantastic apartment - Harbourside Apartments. When we looked out of our window we looked across Luna Park, Sydney Bridge and Opera House. There was a ferry just outside the door and when we were in the pool we had the views too. Fabulous. What a way to end our holiday.

Are you hoping to live in the heart of Sydney?
Old Sep 24th 2008, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mazza12
Hi Folks

We are heading to Sydney in 2 weeks for a holiday/reccie. I have visited twice before but never with kids. Are most restaurants in the city centre welcoming to kids in the evening? I am bringing my 14 year old son and plan to have a break from the cooking and eat out as often as possible!

Any info greatly appreciated - cheers!
Most restaurants are great with kids. The only advice I have for anyone with very young children, i.e. those who need a high chair, is to avoid Nick's at Darling Harbour on weekend nights when they're very busy.

14-year-olds should be fine at all restaurants.

Mrs JTL
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Most restaurants are great with kids. The only advice I have for anyone with very young children, i.e. those who need a high chair, is to avoid Nick's at Darling Harbour on weekend nights when they're very busy.

14-year-olds should be fine at all restaurants.

Mrs JTL
Good to hear that we won't have any problems taking our 14 yr old out in the evening!...I'm getting really excited about the trip now!
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by best4ever
We loved Sydney. Our friends live 2 hours north, so we spent the last 4 days of our holidays last year in Sydney. We had a fantastic apartment - Harbourside Apartments. When we looked out of our window we looked across Luna Park, Sydney Bridge and Opera House. There was a ferry just outside the door and when we were in the pool we had the views too. Fabulous. What a way to end our holiday.

Are you hoping to live in the heart of Sydney?
Your apartments in Sydney sound fantastic! I love that area around Circular quay!

Would love to live in the heart of Sydney but doubt if we'll be able to afford it! My OH is an Aussie and his family live in and around Gladesville. I really like this area and its proximity to the city centre but prices are really prohibitive. Will probably need to look at something a bit further out from the city centre. Having trawled through property sites I like the look of the Hills area or Sutherland shire and would probably be able to find property within our budget.
What about you?
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:38 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I live 5 minutes' walk from Harbourside Apartments.

I'd love to say this is taken from my bedroom window but unfortunately not, although it was just along the road.
Attached Thumbnails Do most Sydney restaurants welcome kids in the evening?-our-bridge.jpg  
Old Sep 25th 2008, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

When we came over on a reccie we took our three jetlagged kids - then aged 3, 7 and 13 - into a heaving Thai restaurant on Oxford Street at 9pm on a Friday night because it was our favourite restaurant here years ago and we couldn't wait to go back! They welcomed us with open arms, pushed tables together to accommodate us and were SO lovely with the kids.

One of the things we love about living here is how easy it is to eat out with kids. There will be some areas of pubs your son won't be allowed in, but you certainly won't have a problem eating out with him.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
When we came over on a reccie we took our three jetlagged kids - then aged 3, 7 and 13 - into a heaving Thai restaurant on Oxford Street at 9pm on a Friday night because it was our favourite restaurant here years ago and we couldn't wait to go back! They welcomed us with open arms, pushed tables together to accommodate us and were SO lovely with the kids.

One of the things we love about living here is how easy it is to eat out with kids. There will be some areas of pubs your son won't be allowed in, but you certainly won't have a problem eating out with him.
Thanks for your reply! I did wonder about pubs - is there a time by which children need to be out in the evening? Not that we would want to be out until late but there are some pubs that serve good food too so it would be nice to have the option.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.