Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why I've been forced to shop in the US rather than Australia

Why I've been forced to shop in the US rather than Australia

Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:45 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why I've been forced to shop in the US rather than Australia

OK,

For a few days now I've been researching and after a decent tent to take me outback in a couple of months time, to do a hiking trip in Sept in Europe and the Simpson Desert next year.

I had narrowed it down to a few particular higher end tents with lifetime guarantees and so on since its for some serious travel and I'd rather entrust my wellbeing to them than some $30 effort of a tent from Anaconda/kmart.

So - could I manage to get them here ? Could I buggery. Every dealer said not in stock and we could order it, for about 4 times the price that they sell stateside. Naturally this being Australia the idea of actually ordering stuff online I threw out some years ago and spent days running around trying to get this sorted.

Why not order things from the US directly thinks I. Top plan, apart from the fact that the brands I want all lock the dealers regionally and we're stuck with a she'll be right distributors who dont actually want to import or sell anything.

In the end I stumbled upon this site http://www.ishop-america.com and have ordered the stuff from the USA from exactly the same shop that would not ship to me directly because of the regional issue.

In fact the shipping was a lot cheaper than the shop would have charged me directly if they were able to send it. Best part about it you simply set up an account and can order from ANY USA online retailer. They ship it to ishop in the US who then ship it to you.

Now seeing the Aus Dollar is doing so well I can't see myself getting too bored of ordering stuff at half the price as here that quickly
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why I've been forced to shop in the US rather than Australia

That's brilliant, thanks for the link

I have a recommendation I have also been blathering on about on another thread. It's for skin care and make up www.strawberrynet.com. It's based in Hong Kong, does all the good brands - YSL, Estee lauder, Mac, Chanel, Clinique etc etc, free delivery (takes about 5 days and you sign for it) and it's way cheaper than buying retail in Australia. I have used them for years (you get more money off each time you order, plus an additional 5% if you buy over three items) and I would thoroughly recommend them. Their stock rotates so keep checking back if what you want is out. Happy spending
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:24 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
It's for skin care and make up www.strawberrynet.com.
couple of weeks ago I had my haircut and they suggested one of their shampoos. At $90 for 1lt of the stuff I thought was a tad expensive so just thanked him for the suggestion.

Anyway last week I was curious how much this would be in the UK. From the brands own website it was 30 pounds.

OK what would it be in the states? US$33, from the brands own USA website.

On both websites you need to buy equivalent of 2 bottles for fee postage, the catch, they only post within UK/USA :curse:
the website mentioned above was cheaper than Oz hairdresser & shop, but only did a smaller bottle which worked out about $80 for 1lt
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:54 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Thread running on a boating forum gives the US v Oz price difference.

This guy is trying to buy two 175HP outboards for his boat.

Price here is $44,000

US Price $21,550 AUD + Shipping $1932 = $23,482 + 10% GST = $25,830 V/s

The only worry is warranty, but as people on the thread are saying , you could buy a spare engine and bit quids in still.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:15 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
In the end I stumbled upon this site http://www.ishop-america.com and have ordered the stuff from the USA from exactly the same shop that would not ship to me directly because of the regional issue.
Great link - thanks for that.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:27 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Found this on one of their affilate shops ...

Darth Vader custome for kids and ...

Dogs!

Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:51 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by datamile
Thread running on a boating forum gives the US v Oz price difference.

This guy is trying to buy two 175HP outboards for his boat.

Price here is $44,000

US Price $21,550 AUD + Shipping $1932 = $23,482 + 10% GST = $25,830 V/s

The only worry is warranty, but as people on the thread are saying , you could buy a spare engine and bit quids in still.
Can you tell me where I can find the boaing forum please.

Thanks,

Gillian
Old Apr 15th 2008, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

OK,

For a few days now I've been researching and after a decent tent to take me outback in a couple of months time, to do a hiking trip in Sept in Europe and the Simpson Desert next year.

I had narrowed it down to a few particular higher end tents with lifetime guarantees and so on since its for some serious travel and I'd rather entrust my wellbeing to them than some $30 effort of a tent from Anaconda/kmart.

So - could I manage to get them here ? Could I buggery. Every dealer said not in stock and we could order it, for about 4 times the price that they sell stateside. Naturally this being Australia the idea of actually ordering stuff online I threw out some years ago and spent days running around trying to get this sorted.

Why not order things from the US directly thinks I. Top plan, apart from the fact that the brands I want all lock the dealers regionally and we're stuck with a she'll be right distributors who dont actually want to import or sell anything.

In fact the shipping was a lot cheaper than the shop would have charged me directly if they were able to send it. Best part about it you simply set up an account and can order from ANY USA online retailer. They ship it to ishop in the US who then ship it to you.

Now seeing the Aus Dollar is doing so well I can't see myself getting too bored of ordering stuff at half the price as here that quickly
Sorry for being stupid, but how do I shop on this site, have tried to register, but it just asks for email and password and then rejects it. Will they deliver to moi in the UK?

Sorry to be a puke,

Lynne
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:09 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crocodileseamus
Sorry for being stupid, but how do I shop on this site, have tried to register, but it just asks for email and password and then rejects it. Will they deliver to moi in the UK?

Sorry to be a puke,

Lynne
Go here http://www.ishop-america.com/order.php and input the details of what you want to buy in the states. Then hit the currency you want to shop in (although your card will be billed in US$ but it gives you an idea). Then hit continue and follow the prompts.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:14 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Fishing forums at

http://www.ausfish.com.au/ or http://www.fishnet.com.au/
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by datamile
Here's a good one for you

www.brisbanefishing.com.au

G
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Go here http://www.ishop-america.com/order.php and input the details of what you want to buy in the states. Then hit the currency you want to shop in (although your card will be billed in US$ but it gives you an idea). Then hit continue and follow the prompts.
Many thanks for your help, got it now. Cheap as chips, really impressed, thanks,

Lynne
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

No idea (yet) if perfume or aftershave is particularly expensive in Aus, but anyone wanting brand names cheap is recommended to try www.fragrance.net

Been using them for years as my perfume is a nightmare to find in the UK, they take less than a week to deliver as a rule & they've almost always been quite a bit cheaper than UK prices. Have a habit of emailing you further discount vouchers to use on a very regular basis too...short life on 'em but you get them so often you can wait until you need to order & one will pop in your inbox soon after.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
That's brilliant, thanks for the link

I have a recommendation I have also been blathering on about on another thread. It's for skin care and make up www.strawberrynet.com. It's based in Hong Kong, does all the good brands - YSL, Estee lauder, Mac, Chanel, Clinique etc etc, free delivery (takes about 5 days and you sign for it) and it's way cheaper than buying retail in Australia. I have used them for years (you get more money off each time you order, plus an additional 5% if you buy over three items) and I would thoroughly recommend them. Their stock rotates so keep checking back if what you want is out. Happy spending
Ooh good tip, Im very pale and my town only stocks make up for tanned skin. I usually use Clinique to get shades light enough. So this will be a good website for me.

Thanks
Gems
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Could I suggest you try http://www.priceusa.com.au/index.html.

Carolina (Miss PriceUSA) lives is Bendigo.

Here's a thread on Whirpool discussing PriceUSA http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...s.cfm?t=913221

The home-page details the benefits. I particularly like wrt ishop: delivery at cost; claim rebates/coupons on your behalf; cheap returns insurance @ 20% of shipping cost. Plus, as I have stated to Carolina, if it goes wrong it will be easy to sue her.

I bought a Seiko watch via her and was very impressed with the ordering/communications process.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.