Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why does everyone want to live near british?

Why does everyone want to live near british?

Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

si.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why does everyone want to live near british?

Originally Posted by caleb2003
Just seeing threads like the Forest lake one saying its full of Brits, I'm just wondering why so many people want to leave Britain and just create...Britain abroad.

Personally I want to get away from Britain and totally immerse in a new culture for a complete change of lifestyle and culture and I'm not sure we'll achieve this if there are so many 'British' communities.

Another point on this is do these communities make Aussies angry, like the Brits here get angry about Muslim communities not integrating?

Being around people who have been though or are going through the same problems as you will be a huge help to overcome any homesickness and culture shock issues you may face, this move is far from easy and you need all the help you can get to help you through. This is not about creating a "Little Britain", (Yeah I know) its about helping each other.

I dont think there is an issue with Brits not integrating here in Oz, but maybe I have not been here long enough to see it yet, I dont know. I would like to make friends with Australian's as well as Poms, and we have, but it is also good to have people around you who understand the culture you came from and also the British sense of humor.

I felt the same as you before came here, but I now find that there are actually a few little things I miss about Blighty, not may, but there are a few....

Good luck with you app.

s&s
Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:26 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
through circumstance, over choice Peregian. Cover surgeries at Imbil, Pomona and Cooroy so we'll be looking at settling somewhere there. Have looked around Kin Kin/Belli Park and Kenilworth. Are you affected by the dam? Loads of our patient's are. Really sad. People here are losing homes,farms and jobs just cos other peeps down south won't have tank water very upsetting X
We're north of Gympie, Postal Address is Bells Bridge but if the dam gets built it'll just be Bells no need for a bridge over nothing. I like Kin Kin it's a bit remote but the pub is excellent. Kenilworth is nice we've some good mates out there. I'd stick with the renting for a while until the bloody highway and dam fiascos are sorted out or you may find yourself living next to the new Bruce Highway.
Can't believe that Qld gov can conduct a 5 yr study costing 5 million bucks into the feasibility of re-routing the Bruce highway only to announce the building of a new dam that wipes two out of the three options out without even conducting any studies it's madness.

Are you a nurse practitioner type thing then GB?
Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by si.young
Being around people who have been though or are going through the same problems as you will be a huge help to overcome any homesickness and culture shock issues you may face, this move is far from easy and you need all the help you can get to help you through. This is not about creating a "Little Britain", (Yeah I know) its about helping each other.

I dont think there is an issue with Brits not integrating here in Oz, but maybe I have not been here long enough to see it yet, I dont know. I would like to make friends with Australian's as well as Poms, and we have, but it is also good to have people around you who understand the culture you came from and also the British sense of humor.

I felt the same as you before came here, but I now find that there are actually a few little things I miss about Blighty, not may, but there are a few....

Good luck with you app.

s&s
Thanks, thats about the most reasoned post on this thread.

Personally I have lived in Holland for 6 months so know the change but whilst I was there I was working with a load of brits and didn't get to mix much with the locals so I went to live in the suburbs and even though there were language problems and many things were very different I put it down as a great experience to see a different (slightly) way of living, which is what we are trying to do with this move (should we ever get the VISA!!).

All opinions are good though tbh.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

Lots of people go to the Vic Point area but this doesn't really appeal to us as a location.
We are most likely going to central Brissie - the suburbs like Paddington, Ashgrove etc..
Don't expect to see too many Brits in those areas.
I agree with what lots of people have said, I don't care who we live next to as long as they are decent people.
Hopefully I'll start my job pretty much straight after arriving and so will not have too much trouble meeting Ozzies.
I think that some people do like to live around other BE's and that's cool. It is a pretty big move to make so initially people like something of the familiar around them. Nothing wrong with that.
People slating the Muslim communities is a bit off too - imagine moving to Oz and not being able to speak a word of the language or only a very basic ammount. I reckon you'd pretty quickly seek out people you can talk to!
It always makes me laugh when people whinge about stuff like this - if you go to New York do you boycott Little Italy? or China Town? These are ghettoes afterall!
Let people get on with it and you do the same - whatever makes you happy.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 1:29 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wintersgills
cos you are british and dont forget it xxxxxxxx so now your away just like me but dont forget where your from dont turn your back come here and live you will love it its perfect place but learn more live more and enjoy more thats the way have a nice day mayt regards steve
Last edited by Pollyana : Today at 8:33 pm. Reason: racist comment removed

Hey Pollyana - while you were there did you remove the punctuation too? Or did it start out meaningless?
Old Jul 30th 2006, 1:34 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy
Last edited by Pollyana : Today at 8:33 pm. Reason: racist comment removed

Hey Pollyana - while you were there did you remove the punctuation too? Or did it start out meaningless?
The thread or post
Old Jul 30th 2006, 1:56 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
The thread or post
I removed a few words which were racist and about which I had 6 complaints - they are replaced with xxxxx. The punctuation is unchanged - if you read the poster's other contributions you will soon se that has keyboard seems to type in a strange language that involves little punctuation
Old Jul 30th 2006, 2:56 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

as long as i can have a Ute and my wife & kids are happy thats all that matters,I've already got a check shirt shorts and work boots so i should fit right in and whilst i'm sat here dreaming can i have a chopper as well.
Attached Thumbnails Why does everyone want to live near british?-97_f150_low_side.jpg   Why does everyone want to live near british?-ute2.jpg   Why does everyone want to live near british?-ute1.jpg   Why does everyone want to live near british?-top-haley-custom.jpg  
Old Jul 30th 2006, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jonni boy
as long as i can have a Ute and my wife & kids are happy thats all that matters,I've already got a check shirt shorts and work boots so i should fit right in and whilst i'm sat here dreaming can i have a chopper as well.
That vision will now stay with me for the rest of the night
Old Jul 30th 2006, 3:04 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CasG
That vision will now stay with me for the rest of the night
sorry cas, did'nt mean to ruin your day oh i've got white vest just to finish the vision for ya
Old Jul 30th 2006, 3:06 pm
Account Closed

sorry cas, did'nt mean to ruin your day oh i've got white vest just to finish the vision for ya

As long as it isn't a string one!

Played any good games tonight?
Old Jul 30th 2006, 3:16 pm
sunny coast

As long as it isn't a string one!

Played any good games tonight?
my head was a shed after that armadillo game and not only that i even sat and read ever bloody page on armadillo's chris thinks i need to seek help
Old Jul 30th 2006, 3:18 pm
Account Closed

my head was a shed after that armadillo game and not only that i even sat and read ever bloody page on armadillo's chris thinks i need to seek help
I'm your nurse
Old Jul 30th 2006, 3:20 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by caleb2003
Just seeing threads like the Forest lake one saying its full of Brits, I'm just wondering why so many people want to leave Britain and just create...Britain abroad.

Personally I want to get away from Britain and totally immerse in a new culture for a complete change of lifestyle and culture and I'm not sure we'll achieve this if there are so many 'British' communities.

Another point on this is do these communities make Aussies angry, like the Brits here get angry about Muslim communities not integrating?
Think one thing you'll find about Aus is it's full of Brititsh and also a few Aussies so try elsewhere. When I started my job here there were 2 Brits, 1 NZ and 1 Aus in the office.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 3:36 pm
sunny coast

I'm your nurse

in my best dick emery voice.... oh you are naughty, BUT I LIKE IT
Attached Thumbnails Why does everyone want to live near british?-gukgukk.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.