British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Why does everyone want to live near british? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/why-does-everyone-want-live-near-british-387383/)

caleb2003 Jul 29th 2006 6:03 pm

Why does everyone want to live near british?

Just seeing threads like the Forest lake one saying its full of Brits, I'm just wondering why so many people want to leave Britain and just create...Britain abroad.

Personally I want to get away from Britain and totally immerse in a new culture for a complete change of lifestyle and culture and I'm not sure we'll achieve this if there are so many 'British' communities.

Another point on this is do these communities make Aussies angry, like the Brits here get angry about Muslim communities not integrating?

Fionast Jul 29th 2006 6:10 pm

Re: Why does everyone want to live near british?

I'm with you on this one. When we go I want to embrace the australian way of life not live in a mini britain but then my view is that anybody moving to a new country should integrate into the customs and ways of the country as opposed to trying to make that country like the one they left.

Rompers Jul 29th 2006 6:12 pm

Am I right in thinking that neither of you have left the UK yet?

caleb2003 Jul 29th 2006 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Rompers
Am I right in thinking that neither of you have left the UK yet?

Yes for me, why what difference do you think that may make to our opinion?

Fionast Jul 29th 2006 6:15 pm

Yep still in the uk unfortunately - Why?

curly Jul 29th 2006 6:19 pm

Yes me for one am looking forward to 'losing my accent' and trying to fit in with the aussies ;)

N :)

Rompers Jul 29th 2006 6:24 pm

You might think differently once you've left the UK.

My experience (US not Oz) is that you'll get completely immersed in the the new culture anyway. You'll shop at Oz stores, your kids will go to Oz schools and most of your friends will be Aussies. After a while you might want the company of a fellow Brit.

It doesn't mean that your new life or adopted country aren't fantastic - its just nice to be friends with a few fellow countryman as well.

It's no different from Aussies living in Earl's Court.

caleb2003 Jul 29th 2006 6:33 pm

You might think differently once you've left the UK.

My experience (US not Oz) is that you'll get completely immersed in the the new culture anyway. You'll shop at Oz stores, your kids will go to Oz schools and most of your friends will be Aussies. After a while you might want the company of a fellow Brit.

It doesn't mean that your new life or adopted country aren't fantastic - its just nice to be friends with a few fellow countryman as well.

It's no different from Aussies living in Earl's Court.

This is exactly right and I'm sure I will be glad to speak to Brits and have some friends that are if only for humour being similar but thats different to living in a community that is an exact likeness of the UK

Rompers Jul 29th 2006 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by caleb2003
This is exactly right and I'm sure I will be glad to speak to Brits and have some friends that are if only for humour being similar but thats different to living in a community that is an exact likeness of the UK

Is Forrest Lake an exact likeness of the UK?

caleb2003 Jul 29th 2006 6:41 pm

Is Forrest Lake an exact likeness of the UK?

Hey I don't live there so I don't wish to piss on anyones chips, just want to know what those that have that felt the same as me before going have found.

Australia_bound? Jul 29th 2006 6:43 pm

Just seeing threads like the Forest lake one saying its full of Brits, I'm just wondering why so many people want to leave Britain and just create...Britain abroad.

Personally I want to get away from Britain and totally immerse in a new culture for a complete change of lifestyle and culture and I'm not sure we'll achieve this if there are so many 'British' communities.

Another point on this is do these communities make Aussies angry, like the Brits here get angry about Muslim communities not integrating?

I'm one of everyone and I don't care who I live near, Australian, British, Asian whoever. But I can understand why people would want to be close to people with whom they can relate to. I just long to have good neighbours as the ones I have now are pains (night time DIYers)

I don't get angry about "Muslim" communities as I understand their cultural and religious needs and why this can necessitate them living close to one another. Also other issues that have made the concentration of Asians but not going into them.

But the main point is who cares who other people live near? I don't, life’s is far too short. As long as you or anyone else has good neighbours then what’s the issue?

Oh and if you so want to intigrate yourself into Australian culture please remember being a pom can be a big disadvantage as you'll never actually be classed as an Aussie, no matter how hard you want to be....

Rompers Jul 29th 2006 6:48 pm

Hey I don't live there so I don't wish to piss on anyones chips, just want to know what those that have that felt the same as me before going have found.

I don't live their either, it was an honest question - I wasn't taking the piss.

In your first post you said that you wanted to "get totally away from Britain". I was just sharing my own experience which was that once I had actually left Britain there were some aspects of Britain and British company that I missed. Living in an area where I knew there were a few other Brits around would have been nice.

caleb2003 Jul 29th 2006 7:05 pm

I don't live their either, it was an honest question - I wasn't taking the piss.

In your first post you said that you wanted to "get totally away from Britain". I was just sharing my own experience which was that once I had actually left Britain there were some aspects of Britain and British company that I missed. Living in an area where I knew there were a few other Brits around would have been nice.

Fair do's

I think what i'm probably scared of is the expat communities i've come across in Spain which is not personally what i'd prefer, just want to try something different wether the grass is greener or not.

Margaret2 Jul 29th 2006 7:27 pm

I jist wantae live near sumbudy who understawns whit an sayen :D

carryon Jul 29th 2006 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Margaret2
I jist wantae live near sumbudy who understawns whit an sayen :D

I understand you Margeret, lets start our own little community. :D