Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why do shops close on days off or after work ? Perth

Why do shops close on days off or after work ? Perth

Old Mar 10th 2009, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Why do shops close on days off or after work ? Perth

Originally Posted by MarkMC
I am currently working for ericsson, supporting the boxes that run 3 mobile. 1 week in 5, I am on call 24/7. So If I can do it, I don't see why the shop workers cant manage.

Also, while I was still at school, I worked in Texas (not the country, it was like Bunnings) at the weekend, weekend and late opening will suit some workers.
I agree that there will always be people willing to work late hours. These would mostly be students admittedly but I for one am not fussy who packs my bags in Woollies for me.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

robo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura about

Never understand why Coles and Woolies dont sue the WA government for restricted practise would have thought it illegal to say that certain companys ie IGA can open Sundays but not others .Also i believe in the last referendum the top dog at IGA was the biggest backer of the no campaign hipocrit or not ?
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:18 pm
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
Maybe someone can explain the logic for me, I dont get it....

Most people finish work by 5 or 5.30ish and the shops also close at this time, if you get a bank holiday or national day off the shops close

Am I the only one who struggles to understand the logic in this ! is it just in perth, does anywhere have 24hr shops like good old asda was in the uk. I miss doing my shopping at 11pm+
Because the people here are Country Bumpkin F***wits. Perth is just a very big village. Isolated City, Isolated minds.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Because the other states do one thing WA has to be different. It's like living in a different country from what I've worked out compared with the other states. Takes huge adjustment from Australians that have been brought up else where
Old Mar 10th 2009, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[/QUOTE]

Any why dont they put more than 3 items in a bag ? LOL

Seems a waste of bags...

Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:41 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare

Longer hours=more jobs and more choice. If you don't like it, shop when the rest of us are at work.
It doesnt mean more jobs, just different hours people work. For some reason if the shops open later I dont have more money to spend. Just the opportunity to spend it at other times.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 11:05 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Abstract from The West Australian
Originally Posted by robo43
Never understand why Coles and Woolies dont sue the WA government for restricted practise would have thought it illegal to say that certain companys ie IGA can open Sundays but not others .Also i believe in the last referendum the top dog at IGA was the biggest backer of the no campaign hipocrit or not ?

As with everything else here, there are no doubt many more vested interests than immediately visible to the lay person.

I'm glad I don't live in Perth. From the posts on here, it really does sound incredibly dull. I really enjoy a good wander around the shops on a Sunday afternoon, particularly on a warm day when everybody else is at the beach!

S
Old Mar 10th 2009, 11:41 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mindblower
Any why dont they put more than 3 items in a bag ? LOL

Seems a waste of bags...

Here in our local Woolworths in QLD, if you only have 3 items, you don't even get a bag.

Normally they seem to put as much as they can in the bags. Never been too much so it breaks though... yet... touch wood...

Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:29 am
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
It doesnt mean more jobs, just different hours people work. For some reason if the shops open later I dont have more money to spend. Just the opportunity to spend it at other times.
But doesn't it mean precisely that? The same group of shift workers working split shifts would be spread too thin to cover the working day. They would surely need to bring in more staff to cover the extra hours the shops are open.

You were replying to the point Steve&Clare made about "more jobs and more choice". His/Her point is exactly right. We will all be able to spend what little money we have at a time that suits us. We will no longer be rushing round like mad buggers on a Thursday (when shop keepers are itching to shut up early at 8:30) and Saturday when any self respecting adult is suffering from a hangover.

Last edited by Fenton Beasley; Mar 11th 2009 at 1:45 am.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Fenton Beasley
Because the people here are Country Bumpkin F***wits. Perth is just a very big village. Isolated City, Isolated minds.

Originally Posted by Fenton Beasley
But doesn't it mean precisely that? The same group of shift workers working split shifts would be spread too thin to cover the working day. They would surely need to bring in more staff to cover the extra hours the shops are open.

You were replying to the point Steve&Clare made about "more jobs and more choice". His/Her point is exactly right. We will all be able to spend what little money we have at a time that suits us. We will no longer be rushing round like mad buggers on a Thursday (when shop keepers are itching to shut up early at 8:30) and Saturday when any self respecting adult is suffering from a hangover.
Totally agree. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare

Longer hours=more jobs and more choice. If you don't like it, shop when the rest of us are at work.
I do....

shops are open til 9pm on a Thursday - so why not shop then?

dont know why you dont have sunday trading in perth, we have it down here in bunbury although personally doesnt bother me, cant think of anything worse than traipsing round shops....
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bridie
I do....

shops are open til 9pm on a Thursday - so why not shop then?

dont know why you dont have sunday trading in perth, we have it down here in bunbury although personally doesnt bother me, cant think of anything worse than traipsing round shops....
Bunbury has Sunday trading as it was granted a ministerial exemption from the Retail Trading Hours Act following an application in April 2008.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoveactually
Bunbury has Sunday trading as it was granted a ministerial exemption from the Retail Trading Hours Act following an application in April 2008.
ah right, didnt know that!