Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skills shortage persists as layoffs increase -- For IT professionals..

Skills shortage persists as layoffs increase -- For IT professionals..

Old Mar 10th 2009, 5:59 am
Account Closed

aman_sharma2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Skills shortage persists as layoffs increase -- For IT professionals..

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/...-15306,00.html

Enjoy............
Old Mar 10th 2009, 6:01 am
Account Closed

Default Re: Skills shortage persists as layoffs increase -- For IT professionals..

Originally Posted by aman_sharma2k1
THE number of international technology professionals seeking Australian permanent residency has increased by about 20 per cent.

Meanwhile, while their local counterparts are fighting tooth and nail to hang on to their jobs.

The IT industry has not escaped the retrenchments affecting other sectors, as most companies tighten their belts and lay off staff.

Thousands employed in Australia's technology sector have lost their jobs in the past 12 months. Last week, SAP Australia said it slashed almost 40 local jobs in line with the demands of its parent company.

Other major players including Telstra, Hewlett-Packard and EDS, have also reduced their workforce.

Technology sector organisations warn that any attempt to reduce the number of skilled migrants could be detrimental to the country's future, but pressure is mounting on the Government to tighten its migration program because of the global financial crisis.

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 11th 2009 at 3:24 am. Reason: Please do not quote the entire article - copyright implications exist.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:12 am
Banned

Altavista is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skills shortage persists as layoffs increase -- For IT professionals..

Atleast there is a real hope for IT professional in these economic crisis and the news of cutting skill migrant visas.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

denver09 is an unknown quantity at this point

The economy and job market is worse everywhere. How can Australia be free from it? I think it is not as bad as here in the US. Otherwise, people from highly developed country like US, UK, Canada, and booming economy China, India wouldn't have tried to move to Oz.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

dmpp will become famous soon enough

Why would the OZ goverment ever cut the migrant numbers. We bring in $000's to spend without ever claiming anything back and never overstay our visas because if our money runs out we starve and have no roof over our heads. OZ employers also win because they fresh peopel and skills to choose from every month.

Its a win win for OZ goverment and companies.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I have noticed the amount of jobs on seek recently has gone from about 8+ pages worth to 1 page...
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:13 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I work for an IT company.. workforce of 4,000+ in Oz.... current number of jobs being advertised externally... NILL

Skill shortage my arse.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I work for an IT company.. workforce of 4,000+ in Oz.... current number of jobs being advertised externally... NILL

Skill shortage my arse.
We are talking about SKILLED people..may be your employer is not looking for skilled people...huh....
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:33 am
Account Closed

We are talking about SKILLED people..may be your employer is not looking for skilled people...huh....
My employer isn't looking for ANYBODY... and as one of the largest employers of IT staff in Australia and globally for that matter, I think that says more than your article does about a supposed skill shortage.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:35 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Skill shortage my arse.
We have just laid off our IT contractors. No skills shortage here and plenty of companies offering us capabilities in Bangalore.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:36 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

What is your experience of a shortage on the ground in Australia? Any particular skills you have noted?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:36 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

My employer isn't looking for ANYBODY... and as one of the largest employers of IT staff in Australia and globally for that matter, I think that says more than your article does about a supposed skill shortage.
Thanks for the reality check
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paulry
Thanks for the reality check
Yeah, its pretty nasty at the moment. New starters have basically been banned. If you need people you employee internally. If you can't, then tough, you go short handed.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:46 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, its pretty nasty at the moment. New starters have basically been banned. If you need people you employee internally. If you can't, then tough, you go short handed.
I have short hands can i have a job then
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:47 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
I have short hands can i have a job then
...only if you are prepared to work 20 hours a day for free.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.