British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Why do shops close on days off or after work ? Perth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/why-do-shops-close-days-off-after-work-perth-595146/)

dave99 Mar 3rd 2009 8:26 am

Why do shops close on days off or after work ? Perth

Maybe someone can explain the logic for me, I dont get it....

Most people finish work by 5 or 5.30ish and the shops also close at this time, if you get a bank holiday or national day off the shops close

Am I the only one who struggles to understand the logic in this ! is it just in perth, does anywhere have 24hr shops like good old asda was in the uk. I miss doing my shopping at 11pm+

Kooky. Mar 3rd 2009 8:28 am

Re: Why do shops close on days off or after work ? Perth

Discussed recently but our Woolies is open til midnight most nights, 11pm on Sundays. The local mall starts closing about 3pm on a Saturday and I doubt is open on a Sunday at all.

ABCDiamond Mar 3rd 2009 8:37 am

Originally Posted by dave99 (Post 7340189)

Most people finish work by 5 or 5.30ish and the shops also close at this time, if you get a bank holiday or national day off the shops close

Am I the only one who struggles to understand the logic in this ! is it just in perth, does anywhere have 24hr shops like good old asda was in the uk. I miss doing my shopping at 11pm+

Maybe because most people finish work by 5 or 5.30ish (including shop workers, who also like public holidays off) :rofl:

Our local supermarkets open till 9pm each night, and 4pm or 5pm on Saturday and Sundays.

When we lived in NSW, the local Coles was open 24 hours, but I think it stopped that as not enough people used it overnight.

It seems to vary depending on what people appear to want in an area.

Sandgroper09 Mar 3rd 2009 8:53 am

The people of Perth voted against it.. Whos know, we know no differant.

Noocat Mar 3rd 2009 8:54 am

A large number (maybe all of them?) of Coles supermarkets here in Melbourne are open 24 hours 7 days a week. In my area (Brunswick), our local Coles if often teeming with people at midnight, virtually any day of the week.

Safeway (aka Woolworths) is not open 24 hours but is open till midnight 7 days a week.

Not sure about the smaller supermarkets (IGA, Aldi, etc).

Three Legs Mar 3rd 2009 8:55 am

Because ...

The cow's stop milking & your curtains will fade ...

ffs ... get with the script :(

The Crow Mar 3rd 2009 10:35 am

We have a 24hr Safeway (10 mins away) - though our nearest one is open 6am-12 midnight. Our local KMart is open till about 7pm three times a week.

Madhouse Mar 3rd 2009 11:00 am

Apparently Sunday shopping is a relatively new concept to WA and we should be grateful that anywhere is open outside working hours. My co-workers tell me that it is only about 10 years since that stopped running rotas in which garages took it in turn to open on a Sunday! We live near Madurah, where they seem to be more progressive about Sunday shopping and Thursday seems to be late night (9pm!) shopping for most supermarkets. It not just us (ex) Brits who are surprised by the limited opening hours, migrants from the East often seem to be slightly bemused at WA's approach to shopping (and life in general for that matter). Don't start me on daylight saving...........

mindblower Mar 3rd 2009 11:22 am

[Don't start me on daylight saving...........[/QUOTE]

Lol:rofl:

Damson Mar 3rd 2009 2:56 pm

Have to say that I'm a bit fed up of the 24/7 culture as ultimately it means that there are people who have to service this, very often being expected to work these more unsociable hours for no extra pay. We've all been led to believe that we can't function unless shops are open for ridiculous hours and that it's simply not good enough to wait for 2 days for a letter for example, and we absolutely must have it in 1 day. I know it's a pain for us who are used to the all night opening but I guess it's just a case of having to plan ahead so as not to run out of stuff; as my Mum says, shops used to be 9-5, monday to saturday (yeh, thanks for that Mum!). Having said that, I think 5pm is a bit much, especially if workers finish at 5pm. Also, it's easy for me to say this, sitting in my 24/7 town.

thpinkpussycat Mar 3rd 2009 9:17 pm

Late night shopping is every Thursday when the shops are open till 9pm
If you want to shop on a Sunday or on a public holiday most of the shops in the city are open.
Most suburbs have a local shopping center and most are open on a Sunday and some are open till 7pm. (IGA supermarkets)
And the last time I checked shops were also opens all day on Saturday.

I really don’t get this obsession with the need for 24/7 shopping :confused:

ABCDiamond Mar 3rd 2009 9:40 pm

What I don't like is all these office workers going home at 5pm, and causing those companies to close early.
They should all stay open 24 hours, so we can contact them easier, when we want to find out about things, after we have done our late night shopping :lol:

K14 Mar 4th 2009 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Lorrielou (Post 7341174)
Have to say that I'm a bit fed up of the 24/7 culture as ultimately it means that there are people who have to service this, very often being expected to work these more unsociable hours for no extra pay. We've all been led to believe that we can't function unless shops are open for ridiculous hours and that it's simply not good enough to wait for 2 days for a letter for example, and we absolutely must have it in 1 day. I know it's a pain for us who are used to the all night opening but I guess it's just a case of having to plan ahead so as not to run out of stuff; as my Mum says, shops used to be 9-5, monday to saturday (yeh, thanks for that Mum!). Having said that, I think 5pm is a bit much, especially if workers finish at 5pm. Also, it's easy for me to say this, sitting in my 24/7 town.

Surely if we had extended shopping hours in Perth then it would create more jobs - which I think would be a good thing at the moment if you need to earn some dosh

moneypenny20 Mar 4th 2009 1:25 am

I know Perth is possibly slightly different from the rest of the country (going by what's written on here) but there must be shops that open past 5:30, or public holidays? May not be every suburb but I can't believe they're all shut.

I never understood the mentality of people choosing to go to Tescos at midnight, even if someone is doing shift work, it still confused me. I guess you'd have to enjoy shopping to understand it.:D

Notts_bloke Mar 4th 2009 1:40 am

Because Perth is boring?;)