Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why do shops close on days off or after work ? Perth

Why do shops close on days off or after work ? Perth

Old Mar 4th 2009, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice
Default Re: Why do shops close on days off or after work ? Perth

Originally Posted by dave99
Maybe someone can explain the logic for me, I dont get it....

Most people finish work by 5 or 5.30ish and the shops also close at this time, if you get a bank holiday or national day off the shops close

Am I the only one who struggles to understand the logic in this ! is it just in perth, does anywhere have 24hr shops like good old asda was in the uk. I miss doing my shopping at 11pm+
why have the shops open on a night when they go to bed at 7 30-8pm
Old Mar 4th 2009, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I find it amusing that I am living in small town NZ and thinking, "Well, one day Oz will catch up."

For many years overseas comedians joked about NZ being shut for the weekend. Back in the 70s/80s it was shut for the weekend. Now however, most supermarkets and the larger chain stores are open all weekend, the supermarkets and liquor stores are open until 8-9pm most nights and we've had daylight saving for about 30 years. I'm thinking Oz is so far behind and yet perhaps they just decided to go against the grain and decide what's important for themselves. We used to shop once a week. We used to have one late night a week and most people had a weekend off to enjoy. Have we progressed?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
I find it amusing that I am living in small town NZ and thinking, "Well, one day Oz will catch up."

For many years overseas comedians joked about NZ being shut for the weekend. Back in the 70s/80s it was shut for the weekend. Now however, most supermarkets and the larger chain stores are open all weekend, the supermarkets and liquor stores are open until 8-9pm most nights and we've had daylight saving for about 30 years. I'm thinking Oz is so far behind and yet perhaps they just decided to go against the grain and decide what's important for themselves. We used to shop once a week. We used to have one late night a week and most people had a weekend off to enjoy. Have we progressed?
It's certainly not the case around here. Late night shopping, Open until 6 on Sundays, open 9-5 public holidays etc etc.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow

When I first came to Australia (in 1979) I loathed the fact that all the shops in Sydney shut at noon on a Saturday. I was told to think myself lucky because in NZ they were shut for the whole weekend.

It was only a few years later (1983?) that shops here went from one extreme to the other. They changed from closing at noon on Saturday to practically never closing at all.

It's not the whole of Australia that has these old-fashioned opening hours - it's just WA.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:23 am
ABCDiamond

Some Perth opening hours:

Woolworths Supermarket, 166 Murray Street, Perth
Opening Hours:
Monday - Thursday 8.00am - 7.00pm
Friday 8.00am - 9.00pm
Saturday 8.00am - 5.00pm
Sunday 12.00pm - 6.00pm
Target Department Store, 712 - 720 Hay Street, Perth
Opening hours:
Monday to Thursday 8.00am - 5.30pm
Friday 8.00am - 9.00pm
Saturday 9.00am - 5.00pm
Sunday 12.00noon - 5.30pm
Myer City Department Store, 200 Murray Street, Perth.
Opening hours:
Monday to Thursday 9.00am - 5.30pm
Friday 9.00am - 9.00pm
Saturday 9.00am - 5.00pm
Sunday 12.00noon - 6.00pm

Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:20 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I know Perth is possibly slightly different from the rest of the country (going by what's written on here) but there must be shops that open past 5:30, or public holidays? May not be every suburb but I can't believe they're all shut.
Well, IGAs are open 7 days, and I think most are also open late.

Apart from our local one in North Beach because there was a fire...

Cheers
b
Old Mar 10th 2009, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benlast
Well, IGAs are open 7 days, and I think most are also open late.

Apart from our local one in North Beach because there was a fire...

Cheers
b
IGA in Mundaring is open 7 days a week,24 hours a day.Might be a bit far for some to go for a packet of tim tams but its still open.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

sue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nice

I work in retail and did the extra late nights over the Xmas period I would like to know where all the people were who want late night trading.It was so bad most in the shopping centre closed at normal hours as no people shopping.I would like to go to a travel agents on a SAturday but closed.Visit the dentist and doctors in the evening but most closed.
I myself do not want late night trading as I have a family and have family things to do.Bad enough trying to get enough time with the family when we close at 5.30pm.
Food shopping plenty of places to get it IGA open till 9pm.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Madhouse
Apparently Sunday shopping is a relatively new concept to WA and we should be grateful that anywhere is open outside working hours. My co-workers tell me that it is only about 10 years since that stopped running rotas in which garages took it in turn to open on a Sunday! We live near Madurah, where they seem to be more progressive about Sunday shopping and Thursday seems to be late night (9pm!) shopping for most supermarkets. It not just us (ex) Brits who are surprised by the limited opening hours, migrants from the East often seem to be slightly bemused at WA's approach to shopping (and life in general for that matter). Don't start me on daylight saving...........
I remember when there was a rota on Sundays for getting petrol, you had to drive around and look for an A board in the road giving directions of the nearest garage open!!

Sarah
Old Mar 10th 2009, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sue1964
I work in retail and did the extra late nights over the Xmas period I would like to know where all the people were who want late night trading.It was so bad most in the shopping centre closed at normal hours as no people shopping.I would like to go to a travel agents on a SAturday but closed.Visit the dentist and doctors in the evening but most closed.
I myself do not want late night trading as I have a family and have family things to do.Bad enough trying to get enough time with the family when we close at 5.30pm.
Food shopping plenty of places to get it IGA open till 9pm.

One of the things I noticed in my area this xmas just gone was that by mid Dec in a lot of the shops many of the shelves were empty and what was left was not worth buying. Maybe this was why there were not many people around.

I personally would like more choice than just IGA open until 9.00pm and to have at least one more late night shopping day. It always seems as if everyman man, woman, child and their dogs shop on Thursday nights around here, it is so busy. Not pleasant.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

The thing that really pisses me off about the shop opening hours debate are the number of sanctimonious windbags who are up in arms about the suggestion of longer hours, when it wouldn't affect them.

You don't HAVE to work if your shop is open longer hours; if there is trade to make it viable, then the shop owner can afford more staff. The guy who owns Coles wants to open hypermarkets here similar to the supermarkets in the UK but he is not prepared to at the moment because of the antiquated opening hours.

Longer hours=more jobs and more choice. If you don't like it, shop when the rest of us are at work.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Some Perth opening hours:

Woolworths Supermarket, 166 Murray Street, Perth
Opening Hours:
Monday - Thursday 8.00am - 7.00pm
Friday 8.00am - 9.00pm
Saturday 8.00am - 5.00pm
Sunday 12.00pm - 6.00pm
Target Department Store, 712 - 720 Hay Street, Perth
Opening hours:
Monday to Thursday 8.00am - 5.30pm
Friday 8.00am - 9.00pm
Saturday 9.00am - 5.00pm
Sunday 12.00noon - 5.30pm
Myer City Department Store, 200 Murray Street, Perth.
Opening hours:
Monday to Thursday 9.00am - 5.30pm
Friday 9.00am - 9.00pm
Saturday 9.00am - 5.00pm
Sunday 12.00noon - 6.00pm
All these stores are in the City which, I believe, is classified as a "tourist precinct", hence the extended hours. There was talk, before the state elections, of Joondalup being similarly classified to enable Sunday opening. However, this seems to have fallen by the wayside with the change of Premier.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:13 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I know Perth is possibly slightly different from the rest of the country (going by what's written on here) but there must be shops that open past 5:30, or public holidays? May not be every suburb but I can't believe they're all shut.

I never understood the mentality of people choosing to go to Tescos at midnight, even if someone is doing shift work, it still confused me. I guess you'd have to enjoy shopping to understand it.

Because at midnight, the store isn't full of parents with screaming, illbehaved children running amok, there are plenty of reduced bargains to be had, and the queues are more than reasonable.

The same cannot be said about Saturday afternoon.

Late night trading is fantastic, especially for people who lead busy lives, but also have the flexibility to head to the shops later on.

S
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by hoveactually
All these stores are in the City which, I believe, is classified as a "tourist precinct", hence the extended hours. There was talk, before the state elections, of Joondalup being similarly classified to enable Sunday opening. However, this seems to have fallen by the wayside with the change of Premier.
Abstract from The West Australian
Secretary of the Shop Assistants Union, Joe Bullock, says members will not accept Sunday trading as part of extended trading hours in Western Australia (WA)

Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:44 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

I am currently working for ericsson, supporting the boxes that run 3 mobile. 1 week in 5, I am on call 24/7. So If I can do it, I don't see why the shop workers cant manage.

Also, while I was still at school, I worked in Texas (not the country, it was like Bunnings) at the weekend, weekend and late opening will suit some workers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.