Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are cars SOOOOOOO Expensive in OZ?

Why are cars SOOOOOOO Expensive in OZ?

Old Aug 4th 2004, 5:37 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Come on Don, level the field.

Last edited by chippy; Aug 4th 2004 at 5:44 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 5:44 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by chippy
Come on Don, level the field.
But Chippers me ol' mate, you surely remember that I know nothing about cars? (BMW...battery...where???)

Where am I going wrong?
Old Aug 4th 2004, 5:47 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by The Don
But Chippers me ol' mate, you surely remember that I know nothing about cars? (BMW...battery...where???)

Where am I going wrong?
By 'eck...you're going way back my old son......back in the olden day's when you were just a lad, and me a nipper...
Old Aug 4th 2004, 7:14 pm
Badge

That BMW 318iS (140BHP) of yours with the 16v engine is a great car, Mr P.

BM

Old Aug 4th 2004, 7:23 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

PS. Remember you have to add the stamp duty on the prices of both new AND used cars
Old Aug 4th 2004, 7:36 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Where am I going wrong?
Buying a car under manufacturer's warranty - they depreciate fastest.

Cheaper to bring a 3 year old car up to specification than pay for newer car depreciation.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 7:40 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

2004 RACV vehicle operating costs

Annual compound depreciation rate from new to 5 years old:

Lowest 10.9%, Average: 14.2%, Highest: 18.7%.

Last edited by Megalania; Aug 4th 2004 at 8:14 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 8:37 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Volvo 2.4 SE petrol manual

Aus AUD 49950 http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/Vo...S40-2-4-SE.cfm
UK GBP 20863 http://www.new-car-net.co.uk/know_car_model.html

About the same
Is that what they give you to be caught driving a Volvo?
Old Aug 4th 2004, 8:39 pm
o_0

BMW 320i Exec manual

Aus AUD 62900 http://www.bmw.com.au/common_content...ons/3sedan.pdf
UK GBP 24995 http://www.new-car-net.co.uk/know_car_model.html

OK looks like I was wrong, strong pound?

Let's try Volvo
The 320i isnt for sale here in the US, not from what I can see. The 325i is worth US$28,000 new. If my understanding of how BMW labels their cars, the 325i would be slightly higher up the food chain due to engine capacity.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Ulujain
The 320i isnt for sale here in the US, not from what I can see. The 325i is worth US$28,000 new. If my understanding of how BMW labels their cars, the 325i would be slightly higher up the food chain due to engine capacity.
Jeee-zus! £23775 - £25870 in UK...
Old Aug 4th 2004, 8:52 pm
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

If you want to buy cheaper than the uk....there's only two things you need to remember........BUY NEW.....BUY JAPANESE...!

plum
Old Aug 4th 2004, 8:54 pm
o_0

Originally posted by Jensen Healey
http://www.bmwworld.com/models/years...edan_sulev.htm
Old Aug 4th 2004, 8:59 pm
I'm lovin' it

Originally posted by Megalania
Buying a car under manufacturer's warranty - they depreciate fastest.

Cheaper to bring a 3 year old car up to specification than pay for newer car depreciation.

Pretty much what I did.

Oh well, bean counters do have some uses I suppose.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 8:59 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Jensen Healey
Fly, Buy, Float, Flog.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We bought our Landcruiser 2nd hand and it would be cheaper than in the UK, but most cars i.e. not 4Wd are mega expensive 2nd hand. If you can afford it buy a new one as they are heaps cheaper.

They are advertising a Ford Focus SR with alloys, cd. air con etc for $19 990 at the moment, this is much less than the UK price. And the Fiesta is around $16 990. Best to buy new if you can as it will last you for years as well and avoid paying more stamp duty on buying again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.