Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are cars SOOOOOOO Expensive in OZ?

Wikiposts

Why are cars SOOOOOOO Expensive in OZ?

Old Aug 4th 2004, 9:05 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by chippy
Pretty much what I did.

Oh well, bean counters do have some uses I suppose.
Irish Calculator and Heinz Beans?
Old Aug 4th 2004, 9:07 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by tinaj
They are advertising a Ford Focus SR with alloys, cd. air con etc for $19 990 at the moment, this is much less than the UK price. And the Fiesta is around $16 990. Best to buy new if you can as it will last you for years as well and avoid paying more stamp duty on buying again!
Graduate from Brit School?
Old Aug 4th 2004, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice
Default Is it worth importing one?

So is it worth me spending say £3-4000 on a second hand Toyota Corolla in the UK and shipping it into OZ?.

What extra's do you have to pay. I take it there's shipping, import duty, registration costs. Could anyone who's done this show a rough example of what it would cost me to bring this type of car in with all costs. Is it worth doing this????

cheers,
65KK
Old Aug 4th 2004, 9:26 pm
Banned

Default Re: Is it worth importing one?

Originally posted by 65 million
So is it worth me spending say £3-4000 on a second hand Toyota Corolla in the UK and shipping it into OZ?.

What extra's do you have to pay. I take it there's shipping, import duty, registration costs. Could anyone who's done this show a rough example of what it would cost me to bring this type of car in with all costs. Is it worth doing this????

cheers,
65KK
Why Import & compliance
Old Aug 4th 2004, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Megalania
Graduate from Brit School?

How much is the Ford Focus SR in the Uk then? When we left it was much more than this.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 10:20 pm
Banned

Originally posted by tinaj
How much is the Ford Focus SR in the Uk then? When we left it was much more than this.
Hat sale this week.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 10:42 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Irish Calculator and Heinz Beans?
57 varieties.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 10:55 pm
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough

Well, everyone thought I was mad buying Alfa Romeo's in Australia. But my Alfa Romeo 1986 Alfasud Sprint bought for $1900 in Sydney just sold for a wopping $4500 here in Townsville. It has been replaced by another Alfa, a 1987 GTV. If you know cars and play the game you can make a profit, and effectively have fun, classic cars that pay you money. Oh and there is RWC's (MOT) now in Queensland, Victoria, South Australia and New South Wales and maybe other states on purchase or sale of your car, so not sure what Badger was on about.

Last edited by joninoxford; Aug 4th 2004 at 10:57 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 10:55 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by badgersmount
That BMW 318iS (140BHP) of yours with the 16v engine is a great car, Mr P.

BM
Cheers Badge. (Tears) I had it on 80000 kms after nearly 8 years(1997 model) but since we temporarily turned into a one car family, my wife put on nearly 20000 kms in 5 months!

Luckily we got her another car so can keep my old faithful a bit quieter.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 10:57 pm
Don
Banned

Originally posted by Ulujain
Is that what they give you to be caught driving a Volvo?
We've got a Volvo and they are great cars, this one is 2 litre S40 standard model and quite nippy, you don't have to be boring to drive a Volvo (but it probably helps! )
Old Aug 4th 2004, 10:59 pm
Don
Banned

Originally posted by Ulujain
The 320i isnt for sale here in the US, not from what I can see. The 325i is worth US$28,000 new. If my understanding of how BMW labels their cars, the 325i would be slightly higher up the food chain due to engine capacity.
BMW are desperate to preserve mkt share in USA and have 'swallowed' the rise in the Euro partially by hedging...for now.

Can't see it lasting.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 11:30 pm
Badge

Originally posted by joninoxford
) now in Queensland, Victoria, South Australia and New South Wales and maybe other states on purchase or sale of your car, so not sure what Badger was on about.
I had to get a RWC to register, (for the first time), my NSW vehicle in VIC but I am told there is no annual inspection. In my personal travels, nor is there one in WA.

BM

Old Aug 5th 2004, 12:08 am
Banned

The AA: The Insider's Guide to Driving a Car: New Car Future Residual Values

BMW 3 Series 3.0 Petrol 4 Door Saloon 330i SE Sequential

Distance / yr: 10,000 miles.

Age Value Depreciation rate.
0 £27495
1 £17749 35.45%
2 £14525 18.16%
3 £11905 18.04%
4 £ 9647 18.97%
5 £ 7815 18.99%

Last edited by Megalania; Aug 5th 2004 at 12:11 am.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 1:00 am
Don
Banned

The AA: The Insider's Guide to Driving a Car: New Car Future Residual Values

BMW 3 Series 3.0 Petrol 4 Door Saloon 330i SE Sequential

Distance / yr: 10,000 miles.

Age Value Depreciation rate.
0 £27495
1 £17749 35.45%
2 £14525 18.16%
3 £11905 18.04%
4 £ 9647 18.97%
5 £ 7815 18.99%
Trick is to get somebody else to pay!
Old Aug 5th 2004, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

We've found the second hand cars and bikes tend to hold value. I'm guessing this is down to people not changing their cars every 2 years like so many do in the UK, therefore there aren't as many second hand cars to sell (probably lack of population too). Toyotas are very popular here and cheap. We had a volvo V70 2.5T estate in the UK and there is no way we could afford one here!! We had to settle for a 2 year old commodore berlina wagon, we've had it for 2 and a half years and as its a Network Q its still under warranty. Its on 97,000km now and probably is just about run in by now. would go another 197,000!! things like Vectras, Focus, Mondeos, BMW, Volvos, are very expensive as they are all imported so tend to be the same as UK price but converted (something like that anyway).

We used to be 'bloody volvo drivers' but are now boring commodore drivers!! (hubby has a Nissan Skyline GTST R33 and a Thundercat to make up for it)

Mandy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.