Wikiposts

Why Adelaide ?

Old Aug 19th 2003, 5:09 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by mashiraz
Hi Steve,

We stayed at the west beach holiday park when we first arrived. It's right at the end of the runway......next to the sewage works. But the cabin we staeyed in was lovely for 10 days and the park had great facilities and right on the beach...pity it was winter.

The noise wasn't too bad, but there are lots of low planes.

You've chosen a really expensive spot with your choices. Why not consider further up towards sempaphore, largs bay and towards north haven. Lovely beaches.

Cheers
Mash...
Cheers Mash, back to closing my eyes and sticking pins in the map again then! I have also looked at Semaphore, but what about the other way, near Brighton? The price isn't a problem, as I'd rather get it right, than have to move again.

Cheers, Steve.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally don'r see the attraction with the southern suburbs, not sure what facts that is based on....

Hallet cove, christies beach and noorlunga in winter are like skeggy, all closed up...

The rest are too closed in by city and endless suburbs for me. I need the open rolling hills.

Do you need to be by the sea?

Mash...
Originally posted by SteveBannister
Cheers Mash, back to closing my eyes and sticking pins in the map again then! I have also looked at Semaphore, but what about the other way, near Brighton? The price isn't a problem, as I'd rather get it right, than have to move again.

Cheers, Steve.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 5:22 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Personally don'r see the attraction with the southern suburbs, not sure what facts that is based on....

Hallet cove, christies beach and noorlunga in winter are like skeggy, all closed up...

The rest are too closed in by city and endless suburbs for me. I need the open rolling hills.

Do you need to be by the sea?

Mash...
Not necessarily, but the cooler breeze does help. I was originally looking around the north eastern and south western suburbs.

Steve.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bloody freezing sea breeze since we've been here...

Get a place on a hillside, you get breezes there too. We are on a hillside, huge block, views across to the sea. Half an hour to everywhere and it blew a gale last night.

When you arrive I'll give you a tour of areas, be open minded.
We were 100% going to live in Gawler, but didn't in the end, although still hanker after it...

Name some suburbs I'll give you a brief profile....

Mash...

Originally posted by SteveBannister
Not necessarily, but the cooler breeze does help. I was originally looking around the north eastern and south western suburbs.

Steve.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 6:54 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Why not consider further up towards sempaphore, largs bay and towards north haven. Lovely beaches.
I haven't been up that way yet, but thought I read somewhere that the northern beaches have mangroves and are full of mozzies in the summer.
I could be wrong.

I've only been here since May. Been to Noarlunga/Christies Beach on several ocassions and it's always been busy (as is everywhere compared to Goolwa in winter).
There's a good collection of shops there too, as well as a railway station for communting.

Anyone coming to Adelaide should check out the Southern Expressway - it's the most miserly excuse for a motorway you'll ever see. It has 2 lines for half of it's ~17km and 3 lanes on the half nearest the city. Traffic flows north on it in the morning, south in the afternoon (the opposite applies at the weekend and public holidays). It's miserly because they were too cheap to build a road that flows two ways simultaneously. Drive north when it's open southbound and you have to take the old traffic light strewn two lane 80km/h highway.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Shouldn't you see where you get a job and then choose a place to live ? You may get tired of spending 90 minutes commuting to and from work each day if you choose to live in Brighton and end up working in Salisbury or somewhere like that.

In my opinion the Eastern suburbs are the place to be. They are the most green and leafy, with lots of big established trees, have the nicest houses and gardens on the biggest blocks and are definitely the most prestigious place to live in Adelaide.
Examples of Eastern Suburbs are Parkside, Norwood, Unley, Malvern, Rose Park, Dulwich, Toorak Gardens and St. Georges.

There are lots of affordable properties in Brighton and Glenelg. Unless you are on the actual beach front it's certainly less expensive than the Eastern Suburbs.

The hills are pretty, but far from the city centre and a lot colder in Winter (but cooler in Summer).

I would avoid Glenelg North - it smells weird and has skungy houses.

I would also avoid anything North of North Adelaide eg. Salisbury,
Greenwith, Para, Para Hills, Paradise etc. Golden Grove is quite nice but it's an island of lovelieness in a sea of skunginess.

Last edited by Sunlover; Aug 19th 2003 at 7:13 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

this is almost a north/south london thing

a north londoner would say 'cor you wouldn't want to live sarf of the river'
and a south londoner would say the oppersite...

cheers

richard
Old Aug 19th 2003, 8:49 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sunlover
Shouldn't you see where you get a job and then choose a place to live ? You may get tired of spending 90 minutes commuting to and from work each day if you choose to live in Brighton and end up working in Salisbury or somewhere like that.

In my opinion the Eastern suburbs are the place to be. They are the most green and leafy, with lots of big established trees, have the nicest houses and gardens on the biggest blocks and are definitely the most prestigious place to live in Adelaide.
Examples of Eastern Suburbs are Parkside, Norwood, Unley, Malvern, Rose Park, Dulwich, Toorak Gardens and St. Georges.

There are lots of affordable properties in Brighton and Glenelg. Unless you are on the actual beach front it's certainly less expensive than the Eastern Suburbs.

The hills are pretty, but far from the city centre and a lot colder in Winter (but cooler in Summer).

Greenwith, Para, Para Hills, Paradise etc. Golden Grove is quite nice but it's an island of lovelieness in a sea of skunginess.
so whats your back ground Sunlover , silver spoon , mummys boy /girl, sloan ranger ? you have been here 5 minutes ,and you have summed up the whole place, those areas you have mentioned , were set up by 10 pound poms ,who came here in the 50,s and 60s, with nothing and worked hard , to establish them selves , ok they don,t get the money spent on them ,like the BEAUMONT/BURNSIDE set of the eastern suburbs , but when it comes down to Honesty and integrity ,and community spirit, i know ,after moving furniture in Adelaide for the last 25 years , were i would feel more comfortable ....... MM
Old Aug 19th 2003, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by mr mover
so whats your back ground Sunlover , silver spoon , mummys boy /girl, sloan ranger ? you have been here 5 minutes ,and you have summed up the whole place, those areas you have mentioned , were set up by 10 pound poms ,who came here in the 50,s and 60s, with nothing and worked hard , to establish them selves , ok they don,t get the money spent on them ,like the BEAUMONT/BURNSIDE set of the eastern suburbs , but when it comes down to Honesty and integrity ,and community spirit, i know ,after moving furniture in Adelaide for the last 25 years , were i would feel more comfortable ....... MM

Mmmmmmmm and how about Gang Violence, Home Invasions, Teenage Drug Abuse, 85 % School Drop-out rate ?? I guess it all goes hand in hand with all that Honesty, Integrity and Community Spirit eh ?

Actually I have been here almost a year and yes I have summed the place up - it's not exactly vast is it ?

If I were a Silver Spoon Sloane I sure as hell wouldn't be working 70 hours a week in Adelaide . I'd be living off my trust fund in
St. Barts.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 10:07 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmmmmm and how about Gang Violence, Home Invasions, Teenage Drug Abuse, 85 % School Drop-out rate ?? I guess it all goes hand in hand with all that Honesty, Integrity and Community Spirit eh ?

Actually I have been here almost a year and yes I have summed the place up - it's not exactly vast is it ?

If I were a Silver Spoon Sloane I sure as hell wouldn't be working 70 hours a week in Adelaide . I'd be living off my trust fund in
St. Barts.
So if its as bad as you , picture it , why would a person of your ,obvious skills {70hrs } a week, medical ,prehaps ? even want to be here , the things you mention above can be found in the rest of the world , i assume you came from, the UK , so lets establish why you came to my , RAT HOLE before you call your self a RAT, IE location............IM an open book , are you?.... MM
Old Aug 20th 2003, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

colinnsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like the thread is going off key.

Steve get here, then make your mind up, as long as you are happy with the area who cares, as in the Uk some are nice some are bad. I live in Dover Gardens just outside Brighton, we have a large shopping mall 5 minutes walk from us and the city is 25 minutes away. You also have a choice of 5 lovely beaches all within easy reach.(and not forgeting the hill's) the kids go to good schools both near by. It suits us for now.
We loved Glenelg, but too expensive for us, and now we know how busy it gets we have changed our minds about aspireing to it.
Good luck

Colin
Old Aug 20th 2003, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

So if its as bad as you , picture it , why would a person of your ,obvious skills {70hrs } a week, medical ,prehaps ? even want to be here , the things you mention above can be found in the rest of the world , i assume you came from, the UK , so lets establish why you came to my , RAT HOLE before you call your self a RAT, IE location............IM an open book , are you?.... MM

MM

You have completely misunderstood me. I have at no time said that I don't like Adelaide or alluded to it being a rat hole.

I simply said that there were certain areas that I would not choose to live in for certain reasons. Just as there would be in any other city anywhere in the world.

You are preaching to the coverted regarding Adelaide. I had job offers in Sydney and Adelaide and chose Adelaide.

So Relax, chill out, Say Ohmmmmmmm
Old Aug 20th 2003, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't believe there is any problems with mozzies and mangroves at the northern beaches. My favourite bit of beach to go to is North Haven as it is normally deserted even on the nicest of days and the beach is just as good as Glenelg. I would definitely look at Semaphore and North Haven.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Here you go again, picking a fight with a load of aggressive stuff off the subject. You should be ashamed of yourself and will be putting off the punters. I would be worried to hire your lot for my move now in case you start slinging tea chests and smashing my furniture up. Once you have calmed down and stopped being green, have a butcher's at your clothes. Are they all ripped and you don't remember where you are? You haven't done a move for a gamma radiation lab lately have you?

As you say, mate, you are an open book. And a bloody boring book it is too.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Sunlover,

Can you please define skunginess? Not a word I've come across yet! Also you grossy generalise about the areas you picked as skungy north of Adelaide.

Having been here only 7 weeks, I too would not choose to live around Salisbury and Elizabeth, as they are flat and featureless, but to me anything on the hill is nice. The further up and over the hill, slightly better, purely because its got a more varied landscape, views and larger blocks.

Greenwith and Golden Grove although nice, are overpriced, overrated and crowed in....
Eastern suburbs are lovely too, to come to on a Saturday to shop...

As someone else said. take your time to look around. Decide what is important and then decide..

Mash...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.