Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

who helps with the kids when you're ill?!

who helps with the kids when you're ill?!

Old Jun 9th 2006, 6:28 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: who helps with the kids when you're ill?!

Originally Posted by madsad
Thankyou TWT really appreciate that & only too happy to return the help if you ever need me!
I dont mind waiting !!!

I want to thank everyone who has pm'd me & for their lovely comments on this thread,as others have said we're all in a similar situation & we will need help at some point.Thanks also to Jane for starting this thread & raising this issue,hope your feeling better soon x

The comments have also given my confidence a wee boost too,I realise i need to 'get over it' & get out there & make friends,lately i have felt very much on my own,lonely, fed up kinda thing,i just find making new friends difficult as I'm quite quiet believe it or not!!!
Regardless its nice to know that we're not on our own & have to learn to ask for help when we need it,even from strangers,nutters on here

Donna.
I think you`ll be fine Donna!
It is easy though to find that you`ve gone a whole day without talking to another adult, sometimes you have to really force yourself to make an effort to get out and talk to people - some of my best friendships have just been started by a smile and a hello (you sometimes feel like an idiot grinning inanely at the neighbours but keep doing it - you`ll wear them down eventually so they have to say hello back !! ) What I have found is that I now have a close network of mates and we all help each other in different ways even though we might not have contact for a week or so we are still there for each other when the chips are down.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 6:42 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madsad
Thankyou TWT really appreciate that & only too happy to return the help if you ever need me!
I dont mind waiting !!!

I want to thank everyone who has pm'd me & for their lovely comments on this thread,as others have said we're all in a similar situation & we will need help at some point.Thanks also to Jane for starting this thread & raising this issue,hope your feeling better soon x

The comments have also given my confidence a wee boost too,I realise i need to 'get over it' & get out there & make friends,lately i have felt very much on my own,lonely, fed up kinda thing,i just find making new friends difficult as I'm quite quiet believe it or not!!!
Regardless its nice to know that we're not on our own & have to learn to ask for help when we need it,even from strangers,nutters on here

Donna.
You could start by buying me a beer
Old Jun 9th 2006, 7:49 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
I think you`ll be fine Donna!
It is easy though to find that you`ve gone a whole day without talking to another adult, sometimes you have to really force yourself to make an effort to get out and talk to people - some of my best friendships have just been started by a smile and a hello (you sometimes feel like an idiot grinning inanely at the neighbours but keep doing it - you`ll wear them down eventually so they have to say hello back !! ) What I have found is that I now have a close network of mates and we all help each other in different ways even though we might not have contact for a week or so we are still there for each other when the chips are down.

That's true, one of my now, closest friends i met when my 7 year old started school, so i've only known her 2 years and it just started with a wee smile at the school gates. She also has a teen and a 7 year old who now get on great with my kids
Old Jun 9th 2006, 7:52 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret2
That's true, one of my now, closest friends i met when my 7 year old started school, so i've only known her 2 years and it just started with a wee smile at the school gates. She also has a teen and a 7 year old who now get on great with my kids
Wife just got offered a job this morning - started with a cheeky grin and wallay.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 8:07 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thebears
Wife just got offered a job this morning - started with a cheeky grin and wallay.

It should be quite easy to spot expats in aus, as they will all be grinning like idiots
Old Jun 9th 2006, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret2
It should be quite easy to spot expats in aus, as they will all be grinning like idiots

Or they will be ghostly white or lobster red especialy if they have just arrived.LOL
Mandy
Old Jun 11th 2006, 9:47 am
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

I have to comment on this thread as this has been my life for the past eight years. I don't have family here as they are in oz. I work full time and if I am sick, I just have to find a way to cope. When you don't have a choice and have the luxury of family and co. to help out when you are sick or if you want a night out you simply do the best you can do or either go out for a few hours (up to childminders end time) or don't go out. Don't freak out about not having your family to fall back on as you will simply adapt to not having them there.
Old Jun 11th 2006, 10:48 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

I think the good thing is when you have a lot of people in the same boat you can actually get a good help network set up. A bit of give and take all round and you soon feel that you have a bit of back up (though problems do arise if you seem to be giving and others all the taking) Have to say we don`t go out that much on our own anymore (can`t really be bothered - must be getting old!!) but it is nice to know that the option is there if we want to.