Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who can answer this for me?

Who can answer this for me?

Old May 11th 2008, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

mike-Ju will become famous soon enoughmike-Ju will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Who can answer this for me?

May be Im being thick, and I probably am, but does every single person flighing get 20kg bagage allowance? so if 2 adults and 2 children fly they get a total of 80kg or is it just 20kg per family?
Old May 11th 2008, 8:50 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mike-Ju
May be Im being thick, and I probably am, but does every single person flighing get 20kg bagage allowance? so if 2 adults and 2 children fly they get a total of 80kg or is it just 20kg per family?
it's 20 kg per suitcase not per family - my my thatr would be even worse.

However there's plenty of truck that kids need and probably require more stuff than we do although our suitcases were full of stuff for our recent reccie trip

Jen
Old May 12th 2008, 8:24 am
Just Joined

its greg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,this just happened to us.We fly out in 3 weeks time to Brisbane with singapore. We also had your visa validated,and told we where only aloud 20kgs each. I emailed Singapore airlines, they said they would let us away with 25kg and 10kg on the plane with us.

Greg.
Old May 12th 2008, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

eve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to all

When we flew from Bali back to the UK there were 8 of us on the booking with singapore airlines and we were allowed a total of 160kg, you are allowed a combined weight as long as all tickets booked together, mother had 32kg but our kids had less than 10kg.
Old May 12th 2008, 10:10 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJen
darn it, I can sort of understand it extra bagge is extra weight etc for the airline to carry but it seems crazy to have to live out of 1 suitcase for about 3 months - anyone else done this and it not been as bad as i'm imaging i'd love to hear from you.

Jen
We couldn't get 40kg allowance.

We came out with 20kg each. We didn't ship A THING! So yes, it's possible to do it. It's damn hard and I had to get rid of so much stuff before we left.
Old May 12th 2008, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

You can use an excess baggage company which is much cheaper than taking it on the plane and only takes approx 2 weeks... We were quoted £1000 to fly the extras with us but paid about £400 I think at Heathrow and the stuff was in Brizzie within about 10 days...

They did let us take 30kgs instead of 20 though ( air malaysia... and they were very helpful..)
Old May 12th 2008, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

darn it, I can sort of understand it extra bagge is extra weight etc for the airline to carry but it seems crazy to have to live out of 1 suitcase for about 3 months - anyone else done this and it not been as bad as i'm imaging i'd love to hear from you.

Jen
hi

we sent 5 tea chest size boxes over with seven seas a month before we left.They arrive a week after us and all for about 200quid

well worth it as we had our bits and bats and best of all my playstation.

they can hold it for free for up to a month too so if you plan it in advance and send the stuff beffore you then you dont have to lug it. If you dont have an address in aus then put a hostel or hotel tyou are statying in down at first and then when you get in a flat/house/accomodation to live, give em a ring and change the delivery address. Very pro and nothing got broke. They sent the boxes up within a day and whatever we didnt use they took back

Highly recommend them.

al
Old May 12th 2008, 8:43 pm
See the BBC for Free

nirving is on a distinguished road

I think our luck will be out as our cheapest quote was with Qantas and have just had an email to say there is no way.
Join Qantas Club and you get Business Class allowances even when flying economy on a QA issued ticket. It is what I did and I it is nice to sit in the Business lounges as you are travelling. Sure beats buying a Business Class or Premium economy fare if you need to do it on the cheap. Use it all the time when I fly, as British Airways seem to let us into the Lounges when travelling from the UK, even though you should not.

Last edited by nirving; May 12th 2008 at 8:46 pm.
Old May 12th 2008, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

We had already validated and Emirates allowed us to have 40kg each. They gave us email confirmation to avoid any hassles at check in.
Old May 12th 2008, 9:47 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nirving
Join Qantas Club and you get Business Class allowances even when flying economy on a QA issued ticket. It is what I did and I it is nice to sit in the Business lounges as you are travelling. Sure beats buying a Business Class or Premium economy fare if you need to do it on the cheap. Use it all the time when I fly, as British Airways seem to let us into the Lounges when travelling from the UK, even though you should not.
Blimey! Blast from the past! How are you Nirving?

Buzzy
Old May 12th 2008, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

We came out Dec 2004, flew into LA for Xmas then on to Melbourne.

We had a whopping 64Kg each. So as long as each case didn't weigh more than 32Kg (which I believe is the limit for a one man lift) then it was OK. They did make us distribute the weight evenly throughout the cases. Which was fun in the middle of Heathrow!!!!!

At the time this trip didn't cost us anymore than flying direct to Oz without a stopover, we even got really competitive hotel accommodation in LA. Booked through flight centre in the UK.

Good luck, if I was having to bring that much stuff again I'd go via the states.

That being said - it was no fun moving around several international airports with 15 cases between the 5 of us!!!!!! We each had the cabin cases too! In the end a porter in the US helped us, but I vowed to 'try' to travel light after that, however, when your migrating you want as much space/weight as possible.

Tracey x
Old May 13th 2008, 6:43 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hubby just wants to get there so i'm suggesting from your recommendations using seven seas or excess baggage as he wants his tools out there... they would surpass the weight limit of all our clothes and cases etc put together.

The removal company said they can come in the next 2 weeks and pack up for us - which will be great, we had visions of them having to do it after we'd gone .

My cat is currently making me feel very guilty as she will at least temporarily be going to live with my dad, she keeps coming over for hugs and cuddles and for a little chat - much more than normal and she'll lay there with her soppy 'how could you not take me now' eyes.
I swear she'll have me in tears soon.

Thanks for your advice

Jen
Old May 13th 2008, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

turkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the rough

We flew form Istanbul, as had to see family who moved to turkey years ago.. Emirates would not give us the 40kg allowance flying for Istanbul, only Uk .

Complained and asked for confirmation on this as I would have to advise members of BE.. And guess wot..

We get 58Kg per person.. 5 of us