Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to arrange reciprocal medicare - 457?

How to arrange reciprocal medicare - 457?

Old May 12th 2008, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

jamesjack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to arrange reciprocal medicare - 457?

I'm reading lots of threads about entitlement (or not) to medicare on a 457 visa.
Many people are saying that they have no problems only having this agreement, and therefore do not have private insurance. Is this a wise move?

Assuming we want this reciprocal cover, do we just arrange it with Medicare on our arrival in Oz?
Does the arrangement cover all of the family?
Do you have to pay the costs then claim back later?
Are there any benefits to taking our EHIC cards with us?? (I know these are supposed to be for European countries only, but you never know!)

Lots of questions !!

Thanks.
jamesjack.
Old May 12th 2008, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

cambridge lot has a brilliant futurecambridge lot has a brilliant futurecambridge lot has a brilliant futurecambridge lot has a brilliant futurecambridge lot has a brilliant futurecambridge lot has a brilliant futurecambridge lot has a brilliant futurecambridge lot has a brilliant future
Default Re: How to arrange reciprocal medicare - 457?

Hi

We arrived end of March and have been to Medicare 'shop' and obtained our Medicare cards with our 457 visa. All the family are covered, and the idea is you go to the doctors (if needed) pay for your treatment, and then you claim back your costs from the medicare 'shop' (these are found in most of the shopping centres). My OH and I have a card each with all of our names on (including kids), schools have the medicare no. so kids can be treated if at school or on a trip. We haven't got private healthcare, probably won't take out but will be taking out a health policy for eyes and teeth soon.

As a British citizen you are entitled to reciprical healthcare through the hospitals with your passport and visa, but that means a visit to busy hospitals! Your european healthcards are of no use over here.

We have only been here 7 weeks and not needed any healthcare to date, so I cannot comment on any problems.

I hope this is of some use to you

Lucy
Old May 12th 2008, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

The reciprocal arrangement will give you necessary medical care. Generally a visit to a GP is going to cost you about $30 and Medicare will refund you about the same amount (ball park). If you seek medical care for something which is not necessary then you will need to pay for it. For example, my parents used to come here every year and during that time my mum needed her blood pressure medication reviewed - not a problem, medicare covered it. My dad had a stroke - immediate hospitalization and follow up therapies no problem. If however you wanted to get your knee reconstructed or your tonsils removed then I should think that would probably come under the not immediately necessary category.

Personally we have private health insurance - there is some comfort in knowing that if you "need" elective surgery you wont have to wait aeons to get it. However it is becoming incredibly expensive!

Just to add - front up to the Medicare office with your passport etc and it will be a very simple process to enrol.
Old May 13th 2008, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
we are on 457.
Thought I would mention it as we have used the system probably more than most.

I have kids with serious medical conditions. Therefore have used our medicare card (uk agreement) lots of times in the last few months.
So far the kids have had numerous gp visits free (bulkbill doc), free consultations with hospital doctors local and in the city. Free bloods(including rare test), visit to A&E.
The only thing we have had to pay for is prescriptions, however these have been subsidised through medicare. But not as cheap as UK or free for kids.
Son is also having hospital stay plus tests in the city in July, this will be covered by medicare.

I have found the care similar to the UK, I have lived in other foreign countries and OZ hospitals/GPs are very good in comparison.

Only thing I have noticed in our town, is gps dont bulk bill adults. So you have to pay then go to local medicare office to get most of the fee back.

However would recommend ambulance cover as this is costly and not covered by medicare. About $70 per year from St Johns Ambulance.

Also most take out dental care, as this is not covered by medicare.

Gems
Old May 13th 2008, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

PS, we just turned up to medicare office in our first week with passports. Very easy to enrol, you get a reciept so you can use it imediatly. The proper card then comes in the post a couple of weeks later.

Gems
Old May 13th 2008, 7:40 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

I did not know that this was the case.

My card says (something like) IMMEDIATE NECESSARY CARE ONLY, so I assumed that it was things like a serious accident or life saving emergeny care.

I didn't realise I could claim money back for simple "Ow I've got a sore throat" GP visits and have been paying out of my own pocket lol !

How do you go about claiming these things back? Probably too late now but at least i'll know for next time