Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

White goods and computers etc...

White goods and computers etc...

Old Jun 20th 2004, 12:59 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default White goods and computers etc...

Is it worth us taking our Hotpoint fridge/freezer, dishwasher and washing machine with us? They are only a few months old and a bit gutted to part with them . Also we have an Hewlett Packard computer which is about 1 year old...can we take this..will it run out there?

Thanks
Lucy
Old Jun 20th 2004, 1:08 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: White goods and computers etc...

Originally posted by lucyb
Is it worth us taking our Hotpoint fridge/freezer, dishwasher and washing machine with us? They are only a few months old and a bit gutted to part with them . Also we have an Hewlett Packard computer which is about 1 year old...can we take this..will it run out there?

Thanks
Lucy
Lucy, all the electrical appliances should run fine, you just need to change the plugs. The only exception to that is many find their tvs & video players wont pic up signals in Oz (different frequencies etc), but that can be gotten around by either connecting cable TV or using a different tuner ie an aussie video player or getting them chipped. However some have recently said that their late model equipment does work without any modifications, so it depends on the appliance obviously!
Old Jun 20th 2004, 1:10 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

Take them. If they are in good condition (which being new they will be) they will work fine. All you will need to do is change the plugs. What I recommend (as do many others) is to buy some 4 way sockets from argos before you go and then keep your UK stuff with the same plugs and just change the plug on the end of the 4 wayer. Only 1 plug to change that way.

Your PC will work fine as well.

Take it all. I am taking my d/w, w/m , f/f etc
Old Jun 20th 2004, 1:12 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

They are only a few months old
I think you mistyped. I am sure you meant they are just over 12 months old, so fortunately there will be no import tax.
Old Jun 20th 2004, 1:13 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
However some have recently said that their late model equipment does work without any modifications, so it depends on the appliance obviously!
Yeah. As long as it's multi-regional.
Old Jun 20th 2004, 1:15 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Lucy,
Electricity supply is same as ours but you will need to fit new Aus plugs. Lots of people take the multi socket extensions so you can plug several things in using UK plugs and only change the one plug to the mains. In actual fact it is illegal for individuals to change plugs in Aus - it has to be done by a qualified electrician. I'm sure that happens eh ?

Yes, you can take all those things with you.
I think the only concerns are:

Fridge/freezer has to be CFC free. Check for recent posting. Think there has been one in the last week.

PC monitor will be made for Northern hemisphere magnetics so will it work in Southern hemisphere ? Has been a bit of debate on this one but no real conclusion that I can remember. People have taken them and had no problem.

Hope that helps
Old Jun 20th 2004, 1:27 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Lucy
Hi

Take the lot change the plugs when there, good tip thou about the 4 way plug, genius. That saves me a lot of plug changing.

Computer will work just like here, I'm taking a 3 month old PC and 2 laptops, no worries from me about them not working.

Walla
Old Jun 20th 2004, 1:34 pm
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DagBoy
I think you mistyped. I am sure you meant they are just over 12 months old, so fortunately there will be no import tax.
Thats right, just like when you take a faulty device back to the shops...."....it was like that when I bought it"

Marko
Old Jun 20th 2004, 1:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

One point to remember with multi-socket extensions is that it's important not to overload them - especially when plugging in heavy duty appliances like washing machines.

I brought a (CRT) PC monitor to Australia and didn't have any 'hemisphere' issues. If you have an LCD type monitor, I believe this is not an issue at all.

Jeremy

Originally posted by Bix
Lucy,
Electricity supply is same as ours but you will need to fit new Aus plugs. Lots of people take the multi socket extensions so you can plug several things in using UK plugs and only change the one plug to the mains. In actual fact it is illegal for individuals to change plugs in Aus - it has to be done by a qualified electrician. I'm sure that happens eh ?

Fridge/freezer has to be CFC free. Check for recent posting. Think there has been one in the last week.

PC monitor will be made for Northern hemisphere magnetics so will it work in Southern hemisphere ? Has been a bit of debate on this one but no real conclusion that I can remember. People have taken them and had no problem.

Hope that helps
Old Jun 20th 2004, 5:26 pm
The Outback Beast

fogmeister is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bix
Lucy,

Hope that helps
Heres one I posted about CFC's
good luck

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=236951
Old Jun 20th 2004, 9:05 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by JAJ
One point to remember with multi-socket extensions is that it's important not to overload them
And remember that Oz supply is 10 amps, not 13. Important for e.g. kettles and heaters.
Old Jun 20th 2004, 10:03 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
And remember that Oz supply is 10 amps, not 13. Important for e.g. kettles and heaters.
Oz supply to sockets only 10 amps?

Bye
Mark
Old Jun 20th 2004, 10:11 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by markeh
Oz supply to sockets only 10 amps?
I believe that's the case, yes. I base my surmise on the rating for the local multi-socket adapters. I did mention this a while ago and I didn't get any Oz-based electricians correcting me, so I still think so. I would love to find out that I'm wrong... at least I would if the answer turns out to be greater than 10!
Old Jun 21st 2004, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
I believe that's the case, yes. I base my surmise on the rating for the local multi-socket adapters. I did mention this a while ago and I didn't get any Oz-based electricians correcting me, so I still think so. I would love to find out that I'm wrong... at least I would if the answer turns out to be greater than 10!
YES you are correct in both NZ and Oz the standard sockets are rated 10amps.

I also brought a British monitor to NZ and it also worked fine.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

jerzy is an unknown quantity at this point

I've read a few peoples posts stating that UK fridge/freezers are not really up to the job in warmer climates. Anyone any opinions on this as we're abandoning our (admittedly old) fridge freezer and will buy a new Oz supersize one when we arrive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.