Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

White Australia Policy - still present?

White Australia Policy - still present?

Old Sep 13th 2008, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: White Australia Policy - still present?

Mr P is half Asian/ half English (what a mix!) and the only bagging he gets is for being English when sport is on.
People are often perplexed by his accent (was very public school at one point) as they expect him to be an Aussie.

In my company, there are a real mix of Chinese, Malaysian, Singaporean, Indian, Brits, Filippinos, Thai....even the odd Aussie. Not seen a problem to date, but I guess it depends what you want to see .
Old Sep 13th 2008, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Britster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to all

Originally Posted by msi geek
Many Asians fear Australia because Aussies have zero tolerance attitude towards Asians.

How do people from Asian origin, who live in Australia, feel about the Aussie attitude?

Do the locals come very strongly at the Asians and target them?

Unlike USA, Canada which are very multi racial, the Aussies ONLY like POMS to fill up their skill shortages. No wonder, 1 out of every 3 migrants is from UK.

As a British Asian (I was born and raised in England, my parents emigrated there in the 60's) who has just moved to Australia, I have no idea why you think many Asians would fear Australia. I have been here just under a month and also spent some time here a couple of years ago and have not once encountered any negative behavior towards me because of my Asian background (or for any other reason for that matter!)

And I have no idea where you got your ideas from but the locals in my neighbourhood in Brisbane certainly do not "come very strongly at the Asians and target them". In fact it is so refreshing to come across people in the street who say hello to you or at the bus stop who will start up a conversation (as oppose to sitting on the tube everyday in London avoiding eye contact with the same people, day in, day out...)

Anyway in answer to your question:

"How do people from Asian origin, who live in Australia, feel about the Aussie attitude?"

I love the laid back, open attitude that I have come across so far. I am sure I will come across many other attitudes and I hope I will keep an open mind about any that are negative.

I would say this for immigrants anywhere, you cannot move to another country and expect to be welcomed if you do not make the effort to integrate, as I see a lot of immigrants who don't seem to.... But perhaps that is another thread...
Old Sep 13th 2008, 1:48 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I myself have had a few racist comments from some Australian blokes and it did shock me to my knickers, but there is good and bad in everyone and I think if you try to meet people halfway and accept the rough with the smooth then you will be OK.
Thing is Sam, I largely agree with what your language-filtered acquaintance was saying. That's not to say I haven't run into some dickheads here too, but like many of us I suspect, I give as good as I get. And I try and remember that it's every bit as bad in the UK. Shortly before I left I remember sitting in a very posh pub in a very posh part of Gloucestershire with some very posh people who referred to Arabs as 'ragheads', amongst many other choice epithets.

At the end of the day we have all *chosen* to live here. Nobody held a gun to our heads and forced us onto a plane. Sometimes it sucks, sometimes it doesn't. For example - I personally believe that forcing people to vote is completely undemocratic. I believe that in a truly democratic society I should be allowed to waste my vote if I so choose. And yet today I went down to the polling station and voted because I was legally obliged to do so.

Old Sep 13th 2008, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hutch
And yet today I went down to the polling station and voted because I was legally obliged to do so.

Off topic, was I supposed to vote today?

Mikey
Old Sep 13th 2008, 2:12 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
Off topic, was I supposed to vote today?

Mikey
Yea - but if asked just say you were out of the country on your UK passport.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Yea - but if asked just say you were out of the country on your UK passport.
I havent re-enrolled since I got back last year, So I should slip under the radar. lol

How come they dont advertise these things! I never heard about it, until today someone ran out of my class to go vote and I was a bit confused, and then you said it on here, lol.

Cheers.

Mikey
Old Sep 13th 2008, 2:28 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msi geek
Asian media often carry articles about intolerance and pointers to white Australia policy existing in the past.
The only white pointers you should be concerned about in Oz have fins and bloody big teeth

Unless you aspire to live in a trailer park, should you not be concerned with the views of your potential new neighbours? Of which I have found a majority of born and bred Aussies more than thankful for the influx and influsions from other ethnic origins.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 2:29 pm
Australia's Doorman

I havent re-enrolled since I got back last year, So I should slip under the radar. lol

How come they dont advertise these things! I never heard about it, until today someone ran out of my class to go vote and I was a bit confused, and then you said it on here, lol.

Cheers.

Mikey
Council elections. I saw a friend of mine outside the polling station handing out leaflets. I asked him if he was running for council and he said no. I asked him who he was campaigning for then and he told me. So I voted for the person he mentioned. Democracy in action when you're forced to vote.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Rastis will become famous soon enough

Council elections. I saw a friend of mine outside the polling station handing out leaflets. I asked him if he was running for council and he said no. I asked him who he was campaigning for then and he told me. So I voted for the person he mentioned. Democracy in action when you're forced to vote.
Is it compulsory to vote in council elections over east?
Old Sep 13th 2008, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rastis
Is it compulsory to vote in council elections over east?
Believe so or one 'may' be fined....
Old Sep 13th 2008, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Rastis will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by E3only
Believe so or one 'may' be fined....
That sucks... There's one good thing about W.A., voting at council elections is optional
Old Sep 13th 2008, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

I actually find it the other way around.

In Sydney most of the estate agents in the city are Asians, and only rent to Asians. When we went looking for a place we would be told “No rentals” (even though they are advertised in the windows and Asian people in front of us and behind where been given appointments to view a place).

The apartment we finally got we were lucky, we walked into the building and asked if any rentals and the Asian guy and girl on the desk said NO, as we were walking out the white manager called us back and said “what are you looking for, we have a few available” we came up looked and took it, but it showed us that had he not been there we would of had no chance.

By living in this building you can see it’s clear, and I don’t mean this is a racist way but nearly everyone in my building (its 80 floors of apartments) is Asian, simply because the agent is selective in what race they let apartments to - Now that IS racist.

Only yesterday when helping a friend look for places, a lot of the adverts read “Asian only” or “Asian preferred” If you put “White only” or “White preferred” you’d be in big trouble.

Double standards, and I actually think white people get the raw deal – remember if it’s against a white person, it can’t be racist

My mates at work and the people I go to college with are from all over the world, none of them have complained about Australia being racist towards them, and it's pretty Multicultural.

Mikey
Mikey,
Totally understand where you are coming from. But someone mentions Asian culture - they seem to deal within themselves sometimes. I am not like that - I believe in giving business to the best person. But not all are like that.

The thing though is - this is within all cultures. I used to work for a big 4 bank here were they were setting up a new team. They first 4 top guys (GM,EM, 2 managers) all british. They got 10 other british they knew from england all paid for. I can argue that that was un necessary. They wud have got the same talent here in the country. However, I know the guys that came over were darn good in their stuff - So there is no issue in my mind.

The thing I am saying is, somethings/sometimes can be done within the culture or on 'who you know/network' simple coz you know there wont be a screw up.

The team grew to 60 people+ and all mix of cultures and savings to the bank via good risk management. Mind you this is MIX of cultures so its a team thing..everyone contributed. Now dont know if we needed those initial 10 people all paid for from England but hey - got no issues as sometimes even I may un knowingly prefer an Asian.....
Old Sep 13th 2008, 6:22 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

[. For example - I personally believe that forcing people to vote is completely undemocratic. I believe that in a truly democratic society I should be allowed to waste my vote if I so choose. And yet today I went down to the polling station and voted because I was legally obliged to do so.

[/QUOTE]

No one forces you to vote, your only forced to to turn up at a polling station and get your name ticked off...................mm
Old Sep 13th 2008, 7:59 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

Originally Posted by 4Margaret
Have you been downtown in Melbourne lately a lot of Asian people are living there now.

My neighbour is Filipino and fits in fine around love her cooking. Very nice lady.

However I have to tell you that while my daughter was a uni she worked in chinese restaurant for quite a few years and is friends with the owners and their families and she said that people were abusive towards them but in the minority. Another friend who is half Thai also gets abused in her restaurant in Brisbane on occasion. However is it racism or is it just making oneself feel big and being totally rude to service industry people. Don't know.

I take people as I find them.

Yes and the landlord at my local pub gets abuse too...
Old Sep 13th 2008, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
You're in danger of sounding like the original donkey with generalisations like this (and supporting his false assumption).
What, if he was from the Uk it would be ok to say? He is useless and are his qualifications. so what.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.