British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   White Australia Policy - still present? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/white-australia-policy-still-present-561219/)

msi geek Sep 13th 2008 4:50 am

White Australia Policy - still present?

Many Asians fear Australia because Aussies have zero tolerance attitude towards Asians.

How do people from Asian origin, who live in Australia, feel about the Aussie attitude?

Do the locals come very strongly at the Asians and target them?

Unlike USA, Canada which are very multi racial, the Aussies ONLY like POMS to fill up their skill shortages. No wonder, 1 out of every 3 migrants is from UK.

Dorothy Sep 13th 2008 4:58 am

Re: White Australia Policy - still present?

As a Canadian I can tell you that Australia is far more multicultural than Canada. If Asians fear Australia then I think it's their own personal hangups that instill that fear.

ozzieclare2b Sep 13th 2008 4:59 am

what brings you to that conlusion? Are you saying all australia is racist? Based on what? In adelaide there is a huge multicultural mix, lots of asian people live here,italians,geek,poms (which i take offense to personally but hey ho) irish , tibetan:thumbup:

ossigeno Sep 13th 2008 5:12 am

Originally Posted by msi geek (Post 6778841)
Many Asians fear Australia because Aussies have zero tolerance attitude towards Asians.

How do people from Asian origin, who live in Australia, feel about the Aussie attitude?

Unlike USA, Canada which are very multi racial, the Aussies ONLY like POMS to fill up their skill shortages. No wonder, 1 out of every 3 migrants is from UK.

Where did you pick this rubbish up from?

msi geek Sep 13th 2008 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 6778844)
As a Canadian I can tell you that Australia is far more multicultural than Canada. If Asians fear Australia then I think it's their own personal hangups that instill that fear.

Canadians are usually considered more "down to earth" and "foreigner friendly" than the Aussies.

To a certain extent, racist feelings even exist in America of today.

What scares me is intolerance !!!

Having worked in UK and other European Countries, Europeans have become more and more tolerant and encourage highly skilled migration.

Australia is still a very "MONO" cultural world - each year - Brits, Brits and more Brits - favourite destination for Brits to retire.

A little more tolerance from the Aussies will attract more highly skilled migrants from Asian countries as well.

Asian media often carry articles about intolerance and pointers to white Australia policy existing in the past.

jamiefrod Sep 13th 2008 5:22 am

Your an idiot and I can't even be bothered to take the time to explain why:thumbsup:

The Bloke Sep 13th 2008 5:24 am

You are 30 years out of date.

By your reckoning then, 2 out of every 3 migrants DO NOT come from the UK!!!!
It sort of shoots your argument down in flames abit , doesn't it?

Dorothy Sep 13th 2008 5:32 am

Originally Posted by msi geek (Post 6778867)
Canadians are usually considered more "down to earth" and "foreigner friendly" than the Aussies.

Having worked in UK and other European Countries, Europeans have become more and more tolerant and encourage highly skilled migration.

Australia is still a very "MONO" cultural world - each year - Brits, Brits and more Brits - favourite destination for Brits to retire.

A little more tolerance from the Aussies will attract more highly skilled migrants from Asian countries as well.

Asian media often carry articles about intolerance and pointers to white Australia policy existing in the past.

You'll find the US much more racist than Canada, which in my opinion is more racist than Australia.

Have you ever lived in the US or Canada? Or Australia for that matter?

The S's Sep 13th 2008 6:12 am

Originally Posted by msi geek (Post 6778867)

Mate,to put it bluntly you are full of crap. I am an englishman and I can tell you that the UK has far more racism than here. I sit having my lunch at work and round the table is a Phillapino, an Indian, a Combodian, an Aussie and me. Just how multicultural do you want it?
Australia has a reputation, that in my opinion, is totally false.
Also your talk of "highly skilled asian immigrants" is also very dubious. The Indian guy I work with is here on a PR visa due to his degree, from India, in Mechanical engineering, yet my wife is more mechanically minded than this fake.

NedKelly Sep 13th 2008 6:21 am

Originally Posted by The S's (Post 6778954)
The Indian guy I work with is here on a PR visa due to his degree, from India, in Mechanical engineering, yet my wife is more mechanically minded than this fake.

I keep getting junk email offering me degrees and college qualifications for only a few hundred dollars. Maybe that's where he got his.

JoanL Sep 13th 2008 6:28 am

Australia is the second most multicultural nation on earth. (Israel is the first). My son's Asian (ie part Chinese, part Vietnamese) girlfriend has never copped any racism. If there is any racism around, 'Poms' cop just as much as anyone else. But that sort of thing is as good as dead.

Anyway, our PM lived in Beijing for yonks, and famously speaks Mandarin fluently. What more do you want?

NedKelly Sep 13th 2008 6:31 am

Originally Posted by JoanL (Post 6778976)

Anyway, our PM lived in Beijing for yonks, and famously speaks Mandarin fluently. What more do you want?

I want him to go back there.

ozzieeagle Sep 13th 2008 6:43 am

There are some areas of Melbourne with very large Asian communities, as there are around the whole of Australia. Places where Asians would feel very comfortable in Melbourne would be. Springvale, Footscray, Richmond, and Preston... There are also Indian and Pakistani Communities, with a a sizeable proportion of Indians in Cheltenham.

The Vietnamese community is very successful at integrating with Australians in general.

There are vistas like the following in most Australian Cities.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._bourke_st.jpg

Nu-Shooz Sep 13th 2008 7:02 am

Australia is full of Asian people. I have never seen any acts of racism towards anyone here.

I thought the Aussies hated us Poms:lol:

steve`o Sep 13th 2008 7:06 am

come on
come on now
thats it
back under the bridge
better ??