British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   White Australia Policy - still present? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/white-australia-policy-still-present-561219/)

msi geek Sep 12th 2008 4:50 pm

White Australia Policy - still present?

Many Asians fear Australia because Aussies have zero tolerance attitude towards Asians.

How do people from Asian origin, who live in Australia, feel about the Aussie attitude?

Do the locals come very strongly at the Asians and target them?

Unlike USA, Canada which are very multi racial, the Aussies ONLY like POMS to fill up their skill shortages. No wonder, 1 out of every 3 migrants is from UK.

Dorothy Sep 12th 2008 4:58 pm

Re: White Australia Policy - still present?

As a Canadian I can tell you that Australia is far more multicultural than Canada. If Asians fear Australia then I think it's their own personal hangups that instill that fear.

ozzieclare2b Sep 12th 2008 4:59 pm

what brings you to that conlusion? Are you saying all australia is racist? Based on what? In adelaide there is a huge multicultural mix, lots of asian people live here,italians,geek,poms (which i take offense to personally but hey ho) irish , tibetan:thumbup:

ossigeno Sep 12th 2008 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by msi geek (Post 6778841)
Many Asians fear Australia because Aussies have zero tolerance attitude towards Asians.

How do people from Asian origin, who live in Australia, feel about the Aussie attitude?

Unlike USA, Canada which are very multi racial, the Aussies ONLY like POMS to fill up their skill shortages. No wonder, 1 out of every 3 migrants is from UK.

Where did you pick this rubbish up from?

msi geek Sep 12th 2008 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 6778844)
As a Canadian I can tell you that Australia is far more multicultural than Canada. If Asians fear Australia then I think it's their own personal hangups that instill that fear.

Canadians are usually considered more "down to earth" and "foreigner friendly" than the Aussies.

To a certain extent, racist feelings even exist in America of today.

What scares me is intolerance !!!

Having worked in UK and other European Countries, Europeans have become more and more tolerant and encourage highly skilled migration.

Australia is still a very "MONO" cultural world - each year - Brits, Brits and more Brits - favourite destination for Brits to retire.

A little more tolerance from the Aussies will attract more highly skilled migrants from Asian countries as well.

Asian media often carry articles about intolerance and pointers to white Australia policy existing in the past.

jamiefrod Sep 12th 2008 5:22 pm

Your an idiot and I can't even be bothered to take the time to explain why:thumbsup:

The Bloke Sep 12th 2008 5:24 pm

You are 30 years out of date.

By your reckoning then, 2 out of every 3 migrants DO NOT come from the UK!!!!
It sort of shoots your argument down in flames abit , doesn't it?

Dorothy Sep 12th 2008 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by msi geek (Post 6778867)
Canadians are usually considered more "down to earth" and "foreigner friendly" than the Aussies.

Having worked in UK and other European Countries, Europeans have become more and more tolerant and encourage highly skilled migration.

Australia is still a very "MONO" cultural world - each year - Brits, Brits and more Brits - favourite destination for Brits to retire.

A little more tolerance from the Aussies will attract more highly skilled migrants from Asian countries as well.

Asian media often carry articles about intolerance and pointers to white Australia policy existing in the past.

You'll find the US much more racist than Canada, which in my opinion is more racist than Australia.

Have you ever lived in the US or Canada? Or Australia for that matter?

The S's Sep 12th 2008 6:12 pm

Mate,to put it bluntly you are full of crap. I am an englishman and I can tell you that the UK has far more racism than here. I sit having my lunch at work and round the table is a Phillapino, an Indian, a Combodian, an Aussie and me. Just how multicultural do you want it?
Australia has a reputation, that in my opinion, is totally false.
Also your talk of "highly skilled asian immigrants" is also very dubious. The Indian guy I work with is here on a PR visa due to his degree, from India, in Mechanical engineering, yet my wife is more mechanically minded than this fake.

NedKelly Sep 12th 2008 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by The S's (Post 6778954)
The Indian guy I work with is here on a PR visa due to his degree, from India, in Mechanical engineering, yet my wife is more mechanically minded than this fake.

I keep getting junk email offering me degrees and college qualifications for only a few hundred dollars. Maybe that's where he got his.

JoanL Sep 12th 2008 6:28 pm

Australia is the second most multicultural nation on earth. (Israel is the first). My son's Asian (ie part Chinese, part Vietnamese) girlfriend has never copped any racism. If there is any racism around, 'Poms' cop just as much as anyone else. But that sort of thing is as good as dead.

Anyway, our PM lived in Beijing for yonks, and famously speaks Mandarin fluently. What more do you want?

NedKelly Sep 12th 2008 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by JoanL (Post 6778976)

Anyway, our PM lived in Beijing for yonks, and famously speaks Mandarin fluently. What more do you want?

I want him to go back there.

ozzieeagle Sep 12th 2008 6:43 pm

There are some areas of Melbourne with very large Asian communities, as there are around the whole of Australia. Places where Asians would feel very comfortable in Melbourne would be. Springvale, Footscray, Richmond, and Preston... There are also Indian and Pakistani Communities, with a a sizeable proportion of Indians in Cheltenham.

The Vietnamese community is very successful at integrating with Australians in general.

There are vistas like the following in most Australian Cities.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._bourke_st.jpg

Nu-Shooz Sep 12th 2008 7:02 pm

Australia is full of Asian people. I have never seen any acts of racism towards anyone here.

I thought the Aussies hated us Poms:lol:

steve`o Sep 12th 2008 7:06 pm

come on
come on now
thats it
back under the bridge
better ??

msi geek Sep 12th 2008 7:13 pm

I have worked in US and UK and found most job selections - these days - nationality/origin is rarely an issue.

The work culture of every organisation is different - each new joinee has to learn to adjust and adapt - foreigner or a local guy.

Though, never worked in Oz, I have heard from many that being a mono cultural soceity, " Team Fit " becomes a big issue. Many good CVs are sidelined because of the given reason.

Also, Aussies are known to be straight talkers which may come across as rudeness to newcomers.

In comparison, countries are US and Canada are similar, yet different - land of migrants - migrants from every possible country - mutual respect and an attitude of live and let live. No one carries that kind of "big brother" attitude.

Is there the same level of integration in Australia? Policies have changed - attitudes - have they?

An Aussie job expo - countless held in UK - how many in other countries.

I am currently working in NZ - the American multi-nationals welcome highly skilled migrants and value a person's experience/skills - the local kiwi companies - more interested in "Team Fit".

MartinLuther Sep 12th 2008 7:21 pm

As they say in the song

We are one, but we are many
And from all the lands on earth we come
We share a dream and sing with one voice:
I am, you are, we are Australian.
White Australia policy only exists for those who need an excuse ;)

E3only Sep 12th 2008 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by msi geek (Post 6779021)
I have worked in US and UK and found most job selections - these days - nationality/origin is rarely an issue.

The work culture of every organisation is different - each new joinee has to learn to adjust and adapt - foreigner or a local guy.

Though, never worked in Oz, I have heard from many that being a mono cultural soceity, " Team Fit " becomes a big issue. Many good CVs are sidelined because of the given reason.

Also, Aussies are known to be straight talkers which may come across as rudeness to newcomers.

In comparison, countries are US and Canada are similar, yet different - land of migrants - migrants from every possible country - mutual respect and an attitude of live and let live. No one carries that kind of "big brother" attitude.

Is there the same level of integration in Australia? Policies have changed - attitudes - have they?

An Aussie job expo - countless held in UK - how many in other countries.

I am currently working in NZ - the American multi-nationals welcome highly skilled migrants and value a person's experience/skills - the local kiwi companies - more interested in "Team Fit".

You are full of sh ite mate. Fristly - I am Asian, here for 8 years now. Started as student and now working here for 6 years. Never in my life did I feel being discriminated. Most of them adored the fact that I can speak pure English and have good educational background. I don't want to go too much details. Australia is one of the finest countries to live in. Infact I have heard many say other countries much more racist and frankly, it's something one experiences. Of course there are some people who creat problems , such people exists in various countries. And people like you who just make statements in the public - someone of whom actually tell it to friends and it follows......

I don't know what it's like to be in NZ, been there 4 times on short work visits and I found the people to be friendly, although they are very protective about their culture........

I have given a few interviews in the UK (over the phone) and have been offered a few jobs over 2 years that I have been networking there.

Here in Australia, I work with 2 Aussies, 2 Sri Lankans, 1 Chinese, 1 Italian, 2 Indians and 3 British. Before this, I used to work where there were 60% british (believe me) and I was never discrimated against.

Before making such a bold statement - some research and atleast some experience being here in AUstralia would be appreciated....

crap coffee Sep 12th 2008 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by msi geek (Post 6779021)
Also, Aussies are known to be straight talkers which may come across as rudeness to newcomers.....

so does Kiwi

having lived in nz for a long time, and I still think that's the hardest part ever (something I really can't understand) of my life here - personally it's still a major issue & Often makes me feel akward. (especially in business contact situations). (maybe?) they (purely?) being straight/loud (with no other reasons really), but it only sounds VERY RUDE/violent/rough/uneducated to me - to be honest I hate it.

well. I still can't tolerate such a thing. subsequently that stops me going out and making new friends or having relationship with Kiwi/aussie men - Absolutely positively I've never been atttracted to them anyway due to above/many other reasons.

I just live here because of my careerwise and health issue. Otherwise I don't know why :confused:

Petals Sep 12th 2008 7:37 pm

Have you been downtown in Melbourne lately a lot of Asian people are living there now.

My neighbour is Filipino and fits in fine around love her cooking. Very nice lady.

However I have to tell you that while my daughter was a uni she worked in chinese restaurant for quite a few years and is friends with the owners and their families and she said that people were abusive towards them but in the minority. Another friend who is half Thai also gets abused in her restaurant in Brisbane on occasion. However is it racism or is it just making oneself feel big and being totally rude to service industry people. Don't know.

I take people as I find them.

E3only Sep 12th 2008 7:41 pm

I was 20 when I moved here, my mom told me 'you have to fit into the culture'....

The people here are nice. It's like this, one appreciated the culture here and can fit in easy.

If one comes here, and tries to force their culture - of course there will be people upset.

NKSK version 2 Sep 12th 2008 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by The S's (Post 6778954)
Also your talk of "highly skilled asian immigrants" is also very dubious. The Indian guy I work with is here on a PR visa due to his degree, from India, in Mechanical engineering, yet my wife is more mechanically minded than this fake.

You're in danger of sounding like the original donkey with generalisations like this (and supporting his false assumption).

Mr Grumpy Sep 12th 2008 8:15 pm

You are acomplete and utter moron.

For one UK immigrants make up at most 20% of immigrants, not 33%.

Secondly Asians now comprise a full 10% of the National population.

Also it is Asian countries that are the racist ones. Malaysia has a Malays only apartheid, Japan crushes the tiny Korean community, The Philipines has an internal civil war between Christians and Muslims, Indonesia frequently goes on pogroms against the Chinese community killing and raping hundreds at a time.

China is oppressive to minorities like the Tibetans and Uighars. I could go on and on.

As for Australia being 'mono' then explain to me why over 20% doesnt speak English as their mother tongue?

You are a fool. But I suspect you started this thread full knowing the facts, you just wanted to start a war - one which you will be crushed ruthlessly in.

E3only Sep 12th 2008 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy (Post 6779161)
You are acomplete and utter moron.

For one UK immigrants make up at most 20% of immigrants, not 33%.

Secondly Asians now comprise a full 10% of the National population.

Also it is Asian countries that are the racist ones. Malaysia has a Malays only apartheid, Japan crushes the tiny Korean community, The Philipines has an internal civil war between Christians and Muslims, Indonesia frequently goes on pogroms against the Chinese community killing and raping hundreds at a time.

China is oppressive to minorities like the Tibetans and Uighars. I could go on and on.

As for Australia being 'mono' then explain to me why over 20% doesnt speak English as their mother tongue?

You are a fool. But I suspect you started this thread full knowing the facts, you just wanted to start a war - one which you will be crushed ruthlessly in.

Exactly, every country has it's problems. I know where I would rather be.....

One more thing, being Asian - trust me - I have more British friend than Asian...absolutely love their company as much as my community...no issues there.

OP frankly as NFI...

Mikeyc Sep 12th 2008 8:33 pm

I actually find it the other way around.

In Sydney most of the estate agents in the city are Asians, and only rent to Asians. When we went looking for a place we would be told “No rentals” (even though they are advertised in the windows and Asian people in front of us and behind where been given appointments to view a place).

The apartment we finally got we were lucky, we walked into the building and asked if any rentals and the Asian guy and girl on the desk said NO, as we were walking out the white manager called us back and said “what are you looking for, we have a few available” we came up looked and took it, but it showed us that had he not been there we would of had no chance.

By living in this building you can see it’s clear, and I don’t mean this is a racist way but nearly everyone in my building (its 80 floors of apartments) is Asian, simply because the agent is selective in what race they let apartments to - Now that IS racist.

Only yesterday when helping a friend look for places, a lot of the adverts read “Asian only” or “Asian preferred” If you put “White only” or “White preferred” you’d be in big trouble.

Double standards, and I actually think white people get the raw deal – remember if it’s against a white person, it can’t be racist :rolleyes:

My mates at work and the people I go to college with are from all over the world, none of them have complained about Australia being racist towards them, and it's pretty Multicultural.

Mikey

NKSK version 2 Sep 12th 2008 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 6779182)

One more thing, being Asian - trust me - I have more British friend than Asian...absolutely love their company ...

Yes, we tend to be very popular. I'm often fighting people off who want to be my friend. And the women....well!

NKSK version 2 Sep 12th 2008 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Mikeyc (Post 6779200)
I actually find it the other way around.

In Sydney most of the estate agents in the city are Asians, and only rent to Asians. When we went looking for a place we would be told “No rentals” (even though they are advertised in the windows and Asian people in front of us and behind where been given appointments to view a place).

The apartment we finally got we were look, we walked into the building and asked if any rentals and the Asian guy and girl on the desk said NO, as we were walking out the white manager called us back and said “what are you looking for, we have a few available” we came up looked and took it, but it showed us that had he not been there we would of had no chance.

By living in this building you can see it’s clear, and I don’t mean this is a racist way but nearly everyone in my building (its 80 floors of apartments) is Asian, simply because the agent is selective in what race they let apartments to - Now that IS racist.

Only yesterday when helping a friend look for places, a lot of the adverts read “Asian only” or “Asian preferred” If you put “White only” or “White preferred” you’d be in big trouble.

Double standards, and I actually think white people get the raw deal – remember if it’s against a white person, it can’t be racist :rolleyes:

My mates at work and the people I go to college with are from all over the world, none of them have complained about Australia being racist towards them, and it's pretty Multicultural.

Mikey

A lot of truth here. My wife (Indonesian) often gets the nod from other Indonesians or Malaysians who are working in service-type jobs. But don't forget that this is part of the Asian culture - if you think the Mates rates culture is peculiar to Australia, wait until you go to Indonesia.

BUT I think that it also happens with Brits. I know when I speak with other British people there is usually (I stress usually) an instant affinity which helps the situation.

Petals Sep 12th 2008 8:51 pm

People are people and some we like and some we do not like and I think it has nothing to do with where they come from.

I suppose Asian parents read the papers here on the web and see people being stabbed whatever and just like all parents they worry and tell their children to be careful do not drink do not stay out etc and stay with familiar people, this in turn makes people worry.

mand8002 Sep 12th 2008 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 6779078)
I was 20 when I moved here, my mom told me 'you have to fit into the culture'....

The people here are nice. It's like this, one appreciated the culture here and can fit in easy.

If one comes here, and tries to force their culture - of course there will be people upset.

I too think that when you move to another country you should fit into their culture. All the people I know that have adapted to Australian culture have no problem fitting in, and I know many people of different nationalities.

dave99 Sep 12th 2008 9:50 pm

The aussies treat all other people other than themselves the same, although being english I can pass for them on looks as soon as I speak they can tell and their attitude often changes.

Some people are fine, others have a real negative attitude. Then there are those that at first seem ok but then they start dropping nasty comments, those are ones to be avoided

Pomster Sep 12th 2008 9:58 pm

Mr P is half Asian/ half English (what a mix!) and the only bagging he gets is for being English when sport is on.
People are often perplexed by his accent (was very public school at one point) as they expect him to be an Aussie.

In my company, there are a real mix of Chinese, Malaysian, Singaporean, Indian, Brits, Filippinos, Thai....even the odd Aussie. Not seen a problem to date, but I guess it depends what you want to see .

Britster Sep 13th 2008 1:03 am

As a British Asian (I was born and raised in England, my parents emigrated there in the 60's) who has just moved to Australia, I have no idea why you think many Asians would fear Australia. I have been here just under a month and also spent some time here a couple of years ago and have not once encountered any negative behavior towards me because of my Asian background (or for any other reason for that matter!)

And I have no idea where you got your ideas from but the locals in my neighbourhood in Brisbane certainly do not "come very strongly at the Asians and target them". In fact it is so refreshing to come across people in the street who say hello to you or at the bus stop who will start up a conversation (as oppose to sitting on the tube everyday in London avoiding eye contact with the same people, day in, day out...)

Anyway in answer to your question:

"How do people from Asian origin, who live in Australia, feel about the Aussie attitude?"

I love the laid back, open attitude that I have come across so far. I am sure I will come across many other attitudes and I hope I will keep an open mind about any that are negative.

I would say this for immigrants anywhere, you cannot move to another country and expect to be welcomed if you do not make the effort to integrate, as I see a lot of immigrants who don't seem to.... But perhaps that is another thread...

Hutch Sep 13th 2008 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 6779700)
I myself have had a few racist comments from some Australian blokes and it did shock me to my knickers, but there is good and bad in everyone and I think if you try to meet people halfway and accept the rough with the smooth then you will be OK.

Thing is Sam, I largely agree with what your language-filtered acquaintance was saying. That's not to say I haven't run into some dickheads here too, but like many of us I suspect, I give as good as I get. And I try and remember that it's every bit as bad in the UK. Shortly before I left I remember sitting in a very posh pub in a very posh part of Gloucestershire with some very posh people who referred to Arabs as 'ragheads', amongst many other choice epithets.

At the end of the day we have all *chosen* to live here. Nobody held a gun to our heads and forced us onto a plane. Sometimes it sucks, sometimes it doesn't. For example - I personally believe that forcing people to vote is completely undemocratic. I believe that in a truly democratic society I should be allowed to waste my vote if I so choose. And yet today I went down to the polling station and voted because I was legally obliged to do so.

:)

Mikeyc Sep 13th 2008 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 6779735)
And yet today I went down to the polling station and voted because I was legally obliged to do so.

:)

Off topic, was I supposed to vote today?

Mikey

Hutch Sep 13th 2008 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Mikeyc (Post 6779740)
Off topic, was I supposed to vote today?

Mikey

Yea - but if asked just say you were out of the country on your UK passport.

Mikeyc Sep 13th 2008 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 6779790)
Yea - but if asked just say you were out of the country on your UK passport.

I havent re-enrolled since I got back last year, So I should slip under the radar. lol

How come they dont advertise these things! I never heard about it, until today someone ran out of my class to go vote and I was a bit confused, and then you said it on here, lol.

Cheers.

Mikey

Geelong Gent Sep 13th 2008 2:28 am

The only white pointers you should be concerned about in Oz have fins and bloody big teeth;)

Unless you aspire to live in a trailer park, should you not be concerned with the views of your potential new neighbours? Of which I have found a majority of born and bred Aussies more than thankful for the influx and influsions from other ethnic origins.

Hutch Sep 13th 2008 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Mikeyc (Post 6779806)
I havent re-enrolled since I got back last year, So I should slip under the radar. lol

How come they dont advertise these things! I never heard about it, until today someone ran out of my class to go vote and I was a bit confused, and then you said it on here, lol.

Cheers.

Mikey

Council elections. I saw a friend of mine outside the polling station handing out leaflets. I asked him if he was running for council and he said no. I asked him who he was campaigning for then and he told me. So I voted for the person he mentioned. Democracy in action when you're forced to vote.

Rastis Sep 13th 2008 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 6779840)
Council elections. I saw a friend of mine outside the polling station handing out leaflets. I asked him if he was running for council and he said no. I asked him who he was campaigning for then and he told me. So I voted for the person he mentioned. Democracy in action when you're forced to vote.

Is it compulsory to vote in council elections over east?

E3only Sep 13th 2008 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Rastis (Post 6779858)
Is it compulsory to vote in council elections over east?

Believe so or one 'may' be fined....
:D