Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Adelaide amongst other things

Where to stay in Adelaide amongst other things

Old Jul 9th 2008, 9:43 am
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Where to stay in Adelaide amongst other things

I'm sure Wendy will spot this thread anyway but either way we can get something set up for that weekend then. There was a good mix last time of people who've been here a few years, 6 monthers like us and newbies who've been here a matter of weeks

What's the longest flight you've been on then? Just imagine that but longer and you'll be about there!! It's not nice but like anything, as soon as you get here you'll have forgotten all about how horrid flying is. Are you stopping over anywhere? I don't think I'd like to do it straight through but then again I hate flying
Old Jul 9th 2008, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

rightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to all

{whistles} Tum tee tum...... oops.
No stopover! Doin' it all in a one-er. I'm terrible like that, i just want to get it over and done with! lol

Longest flight i've been on is 5 hours, so this will be an experience.... gulp.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pinkie
Hey there

We stayed in the Grand Apartments too, locationwise they're hard to beat as you're walking distance from the city centre (especially useful for stuff like Medicare and driving licences as you can walk to both places) and as Milly says (hey btw, how's Sydney?) they do a better rate for longer stays. Includes all your bills and high speed broadband too which makes a big difference when you're first here. Well it did to us.

We hired a car through Avis first time and budget second - both cheap and easy as have places at the airport and city for dropping off - again both walking distance back to the Grand.

As for experiences, there are wine tours, wildlife experiences, beaches, hills, plenty to keep you going for more than a month If you can be a bit more specific about what types of things you're interested in we can probably help more.
Hi, Sydney is great, good shopping etc, great days out on the ferries. Fantastic beaches up the north. Loved the blue mountains, Had a great time of it all BUT have decided it is not for us. So we will be heading back as soon as Hubby can, ( notice given etc.)
I guess we are not as young and vibrant as we would like to be.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

claretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Pinkie
Dresscircle run the Grand Apartments too so you'll certainly find something good there. There are cheaper places but they're fulled kitted out, serviced well and as I say, the broadband was a life saver for us when we got here.

We timed a meet recently to coincide with someone visiting on a recce and that seemed to work well for them so let us know your dates and I'm sure we can do the same thing. Might be good to meet some 'locals' and get a real feel for living in Adelaide.

As for holiday stuff, I'll come back to you with some suggestions. How do you feel about mechanical bull riding.......

(only kidding by the way - well sort of, went out after work last Friday and ended up in a bar which had a rodeo bull thing! Brilliant!)

The bar you are talking about is probably the Woolshed, great night out

http://www.woolshedonhindley.com.au/functions.html

We stopped in a motel on Hindley, but I wouldn't recommend it
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

rightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to all

Had a shifty through various sites and spending time looking at apartments than caravans etc. (not really sure if that's what we want though you can try and convince us! ).
It appears to be that around $130-150/night is kinda average. Does this look about right to you? Or are we looking in the wrong places!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:53 pm
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by rightruccus
Had a shifty through various sites and spending time looking at apartments than caravans etc. (not really sure if that's what we want though you can try and convince us! ).
It appears to be that around $130-150/night is kinda average. Does this look about right to you? Or are we looking in the wrong places!
We were paying about $700 a week I think at the Grand Apartments which is more than we would have ideally liked but covered everything and importantly for us, gave us the flexibility to move on at a week's notice. Plus of course you pay for the location. I think we got a better rate for long stay though so it may be more shorter term?

Just going back to activities for when you're here, besides the mechanical bull riding , there are a couple of great wildlife parks where you can spend the day hand feeding kangaroos, emus and the like - Cleland is the one we've been to and we loved it (we don't have kids but spent nearly a full day there) but I believe at the Gorge park you can actually hold the koalas whereas at Cleland you can only stroke them. Still cool of course but it's the iconic Aussie holiday image to actually be holding one!

The Central Market is worth a morning out, the atmosphere is great and you can pick up everything you'd need for a fabulous picnic then head to one of the bazillion parks or down to the river which is always buzzing on a sunny day. Just make sure you have suncream and a hat of course.....

A bit further afield (maybe 45 mins south of the city on the expressway) you have Port Noarlunga which has a fantastic beach with a natural reef protecting it from the open water. People snorkel and scuba in there and it's really pretty. The village has some great restaurants too (we love the Salty Lime for lunch). A bit further on again is Second Valley which is another amazing beach and a great place to use as a base for exploring some of the natural beauty of this area. If you're into the great outdoors then somewhere like this is ideal as a taster for what's outside the suburbs. The Flinders are a bit far for a short trip, you'd need a few nights there as it's a full days drive and we've been reliably informed that Kangaroo Island is somewhere you need to go overnight as there's too much to see in a day trip once you've travelled there. That's one that's on our list for when it starts getting warmer.

There's more tours than I can write here for the Barossa and McLaren Vale - I don't know how you'd get on with that if you've got a nipper with you?

The time of year you'll be here is great for events too. From Spring here there's something on pretty much every weekend so you won't be short of things to do
Old Jul 15th 2008, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Great info Pinkie and the activities are right up our street, especially with the wee one. Reading stuff like that makes us want to get over there even more!

We wern't sure what would be termed as long stay, obviously a month isn't long(ish) enough! boo!

We're looking forward to hopefully meeting up with you guys at somepoint.