Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live near Sydney

Wikiposts

Where to live near Sydney

Old Jul 6th 2004, 2:39 am
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice

Originally posted by soapy
i just need help mate
fair coment mate i think we all need some help in our lives,

what time is it there n ow soapy, you must be up late mate
Old Jul 6th 2004, 2:43 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by woody1974
fair coment mate i think we all need some help in our lives,

what time is it there n ow soapy, you must be up late mate
20 to 1 am , just about to go to my kip. i like to come on here now and again to see if i can answer a question now and again
Old Jul 6th 2004, 2:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live near Sydney

One factor to consider when deciding where to locate in Sydney is climate.

Western Sydney gets a lot hotter than the CBD and coast on summer afternoons. 32C in the city will often be matched by 38-39C in the west.

On winter nights it's reversed, a minimum of 7C on the coast could be matched by -2C in the western suburbs.

These temperature differences don't occur every day, but are quite common. The average variance (daytime high) between the city and the west in summer is 3C, but is more pronounced on hotter days.

Katoomba is west, but it's also elevated which keeps the temperatures lower. It's cold in winter, compared to Sydney.

Some data to compare:

Observatory Hill (edge of CBD):
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_066062.shtml

North Parramatta (western suburbs):
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_066124.shtml

Katoomba (Blue Mountains)
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_063039.shtml

Jeremy

Originally posted by NedKelly63
Katoomba loks great! So this is just an hour from Sydney on the train? Anyone have info on schools etc
Old Jul 6th 2004, 2:53 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by JAJ
One factor to consider when deciding where to locate in Sydney is climate.

Western Sydney gets a lot hotter than the CBD and coast on summer afternoons. 32C in the city will often be matched by 38-39C in the west.

On winter nights it's reversed, a minimum of 7C on the coast could be matched by -2C in the western suburbs.

These temperature differences don't occur every day, but are quite common. The average variance (daytime high) between the city and the west in summer is 3C, but is more pronounced on hotter days.

Katoomba is west, but it's also elevated which keeps the temperatures lower. It's cold in winter, compared to Sydney.

Some data to compare:

Observatory Hill (edge of CBD):
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_066062.shtml

North Parramatta (western suburbs):
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_066124.shtml

Katoomba (Blue Mountains)
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_063039.shtml

Jeremy
Thanks for that. Just discoverd that Katoomba is 2 hrs from Sydney by train
Old Jul 6th 2004, 2:55 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. Just discoverd that Katoomba is 2 hrs from Sydney by train
just move into my house, its great here lol
Old Jul 6th 2004, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Katoomba loks great! So this is just an hour from Sydney on the train? Anyone have info on schools etc
I wouldn't really recommend Katoomba. It's a bit of a trek up there and as JAJ says it gets VERY cold in winter.

I'm on the coast at Coogee and it's very nice too. I like the cooler summers, milder winters and proximity to the city. It's an ideal climate with no extremes one way or another. If I had to start over looking for somewhere not too extortionate to live, I'd definitely stay on the coast and either go south towards Sutherland/Wollongong or north to the Central Coast.

No way would I ever live too far inland for the reasons that JAJ mentioned.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 2:57 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

just move into my house, its great here lol
In Katoomba?
Old Jul 6th 2004, 2:59 am
Master of verbal pish©

In Katoomba?
nah, im in maroubra. eastern burbs.
look if someone tells u there is a nice place to live, there is always someone else to tell u the opposite. just the way it works for some reason. we just landed near our work, rented a car and got out and about and had a good look.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 3:04 am
Now 15% less offensive

nah, im in maroubra. eastern burbs.
look if someone tells u there is a nice place to live, there is always someone else to tell u the opposite. just the way it works for some reason. we just landed near our work, rented a car and got out and about and had a good look.
You're right of course - but as it's such a big place, there's no harm in trying to get some pointers from those in the know. I have definately picked up some valuable information from this thread
Old Jul 6th 2004, 3:08 am
Master of verbal pish©

You're right of course - but as it's such a big place, there's no harm in trying to get some pointers from those in the know. I have definately picked up some valuable information from this thread
yes your right, your getting a lot more info than we got. hope it keeps up
Old Jul 6th 2004, 3:15 am
Now 15% less offensive

yes your right, your getting a lot more info than we got. hope it keeps up
Thanks mate - it is all appreciated.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 3:50 am
T&P
Forum Regular

T&P is on a distinguished road

Hey there

Katoomba is about 30mins east of where we are relocating to.

We are moving to Lithgow to be near hubby's family.

Lithgow isn't my ideal town, would have much preferred Blackheath/Leura or another cute village like that but............we have a fab house/work and are not far from those places at all.

The good thing about being that far west is house prices, although they have shot up over last couple of years they are still reasonable compared to Sydney prices. - we have bought a gorgeous house with big front/back garden for a fraction of what same would have cost us closer to Sydney.

I have spent total of 7weeks in this area over 2 trips - both in summer. I have to agree that it gets v.v.hot!!!! Reached 40 while I was there in Feb. But that said in general I prefer the heat in the mountains as it still feels fresher than closer to the City where it feels more humid. (in my opinion)

Winter - I haven't experienced it personally but hubby tells me it does get v.cold at times and they have snow etc. Personally this doesn't bother me at all.

I have visited Katoomba and it is a nice town - but quite touristy as it is where the famous 3 sisters are.

If Katoomba is too far by train - try looking at the train timetable and checking out info on the towns further down the mountains like springwood/glenbrook/emu plains etc...........

http://www.cityrail.info/timetable/t...&day=wd&dir=up

Best of luck

T x
Old Jul 6th 2004, 4:03 am
Now 15% less offensive

Originally posted by T&P
Hey there

Katoomba is about 30mins east of where we are relocating to.

We are moving to Lithgow to be near hubby's family.

Lithgow isn't my ideal town, would have much preferred Blackheath/Leura or another cute village like that but............we have a fab house/work and are not far from those places at all.

The good thing about being that far west is house prices, although they have shot up over last couple of years they are still reasonable compared to Sydney prices. - we have bought a gorgeous house with big front/back garden for a fraction of what same would have cost us closer to Sydney.

I have spent total of 7weeks in this area over 2 trips - both in summer. I have to agree that it gets v.v.hot!!!! Reached 40 while I was there in Feb. But that said in general I prefer the heat in the mountains as it still feels fresher than closer to the City where it feels more humid. (in my opinion)

Winter - I haven't experienced it personally but hubby tells me it does get v.cold at times and they have snow etc. Personally this doesn't bother me at all.

I have visited Katoomba and it is a nice town - but quite touristy as it is where the famous 3 sisters are.

If Katoomba is too far by train - try looking at the train timetable and checking out info on the towns further down the mountains like springwood/glenbrook/emu plains etc...........

http://www.cityrail.info/timetable/t...&day=wd&dir=up

Best of luck

T x
Thank you. I've been looking at the Train Timetable - it's a pretty useful guide.

What I would really like to see, is some kind of program, a bit like a combination of autoroute or ms streets, where you can click on Sydney for example and say 'show me what is an hour from here' and then see a graphical representation of what areas can be reached in an hour by car (based on average driving speed for roads used to get there) and also for the train.

This would be well useful, and not just for Australian locations
Old Jul 6th 2004, 4:10 am
T&P
Forum Regular

T&P is on a distinguished road

Yes I know what u mean.

This website has some locations with info about the area and with distances to sydney cbd which may help a wee bit.

http://www.tourism.nsw.gov.au/corporate/travelplanner

T
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:47 am
Just Joined

rodmunch99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. I've been looking at the Train Timetable - it's a pretty useful guide.

What I would really like to see, is some kind of program, a bit like a combination of autoroute or ms streets, where you can click on Sydney for example and say 'show me what is an hour from here' and then see a graphical representation of what areas can be reached in an hour by car (based on average driving speed for roads used to get there) and also for the train.

This would be well useful, and not just for Australian locations
This link to whereis.com might help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.