Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live near Sydney

Where to live near Sydney

Old Jul 6th 2004, 1:30 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where to live near Sydney

Originally posted by NedKelly63
Ideally I'm looking for somewhere no more than about 90 minutes drive/train from Sydney CBD. The area should be safe, have lots of families already living there and good schools. Being close to the sea would be nice but not essential.

Thank You

Ned
This would take you out as far west as Katoomba, in the Blue Mountains, if you use the train to get in (which isn't too bad.) By car, forget it! The western M4 falls over most mornings. I live in Parramatta area, and take 45 minutes to drive Mrs DUP into the CBD, and then come back out to Glebe to work. If I come straight into work it takes 30-35 minutes, on a 'normal' day to get in. Parramatta is a bit of a dump, but it's cheap, and I hate throwing money away on rent. Kellyville is 15-20 minutes further NW from me, and is definitely a 'housing estate' area. Houses crammed together (apologies to those who love it there - it would drive me mental to be stuck out there) and small gardens.

Coastal properties are at a premium, and you can cough up some serious dosh even for a unit (apartment) near the beach. Those who live on the coast (Bondipom, et al) can give you more of a feel for costs. North Sydney has some serious price tags on the properties, and not much in the way of train links. You then have to cross the Coathanger to get to the CBD, unless you work in Chatswood CBD. Then there's the Central Coast, to the north - house prices better than in the Eastern 'Burbs. More space, close to beahes.

Schools - can't help. Don't have kids, and don't want them! Smelly, noisy little creatures!

Safety - inner west Sydney is a no-go area. Blue Mountains are friendly and safe. Dunno about the Central Coast, but haven't heard anything bad. Parramatta area is bad news, too, as is the west out to about St. Marys. (Mrs DUP does NOT go out alone!) From Penrith on west it's pretty good.

After you've been here a while you'll object to travelling more than absolutely necessary to and from work, so look around the Eastern 'burbs if you have loads of dosh to bring, or further north if you don't, and still want convenient access to the beaches. I believe the Central Coast also has a pretty good train service. Try Woy Woy area. Of course, if you LIKE living on top of your neighbours, then Kellyville is for you! (Now watch me get flack from the Hills people! )
Old Jul 6th 2004, 1:54 am
rudo1ph

Of course, if you LIKE living on top of your neighbours, then Kellyville is for you! (Now watch me get flack from the Hills people! )

But Glenhaven is luverly

Old Jul 6th 2004, 2:46 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Ok Kellyville is a massive housing estate of McMasions on very little plot IMO. It so reminded me of Lower Early domestic commuter estate in Reading with bigger garish houses, but I will state I have family who love living in lower early, so each to their own. The Aussie outlook now is for bigger houses less garden so it has to be someones dream.

But apart from the non rail link Castle Hill has lovely areas and I must admit the view out to the Blue Mountains is smart. Sorry don't know Glenhaven per se (obviously must have driven through it or near it?) Dural is lovely too. I have had my eyes opened meeting and seeing other places in Sydney and there are pros and cons for most.

Personally I think St Ives rates tops for what we want (family based) but would have preferred the place with the prices of elsewhere.

Cheers
Old Jul 6th 2004, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Just a brief correction -

I wouldn't say that sydneys inner west is a no-go area. In fact far from it. Sure there are some dodgyish aeras, but by and large its pretty good.
Try areas like:
Drummoyne
Ryde
Balmain
Leichhardt
Lilyfield
Birchgrove
Rozelle
Five Dock
Annandale

all prefectly pleasant and accordingly expensive.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 4:08 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by RichS
Just a brief correction -

I wouldn't say that sydneys inner west is a no-go area. In fact far from it. Sure there are some dodgyish aeras, but by and large its pretty good.
Try areas like:
Drummoyne
Ryde
Balmain
Leichhardt
Lilyfield
Birchgrove
Rozelle
Five Dock
Annandale

all prefectly pleasant and accordingly expensive.
I was thinking more Glebe, Surry Hills, the grottier areas. Five Dock and Balmain appears pretty good - I drive through there each evening on my way home. What you've listed there I was thinking of as more west than 'Inner' West. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 4:23 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Come buy my house in Orchard Hills..lovely 4 bedda with pool the lot just move in....!!!2 cars for sale also......brilliant price...

Do I sound like a market stall holder ???

I am serious by the way we do have all the above for sale...!!!

Old Jul 6th 2004, 4:25 am
I like kittens.

Originally posted by Pants
Come buy my house in Orchard Hills..lovely 4 bedda with pool the lot just move in....!!!2 cars for sale also......brilliant price...

Do I sound like a market stall holder ???

I am serious by the way we do have all the above for sale...!!!

Market quieted down? I thought houses in your area were going like hot cakes?
Old Jul 6th 2004, 4:29 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by downunderpom
Market quieted down? I thought houses in your area were going like hot cakes?

Yes well we are looking at changing agents..this one only seems to like to eamil us never phones and to be honest I am peed of at chasing him. Will begrudge paying him the $12-14000 if he sells the house. We keep hearing that its picking up but who knows !!

I have 22 sales people coming through my pad on thursday morning....yipppeeee lets hope one of them knows a buyer for our gorgeous house. !!They are charging more if they sell it but stuff it at least they have told me they don't do emails etc and have very good work ethics..
Old Jul 6th 2004, 4:33 am
I like kittens.

Originally posted by Pants
Yes well we are looking at changing agents..this one only seems to like to eamil us never phones and to be honest I am peed of at chasing him. Will begrudge paying him the $12-14000 if he sells the house. We keep hearing that its picking up but who knows !!

I have 22 sales people coming through my pad on thursday morning....yipppeeee lets hope one of them knows a buyer for our gorgeous house. !!They are charging more if they sell it but stuff it at least they have told me they don't do emails etc and have very good work ethics..
Fingers crossed!
Old Jul 6th 2004, 4:34 am
Live the moment

Fingers crossed!

Cheers we need it as I am leaving Oz on 18th August with daughter would be nice to know that hubby won't be to far behind.!!
Old Jul 6th 2004, 2:12 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Rosie n family
We moved (3 kids 16, 10 & 7) to the Sutherland Shire last week! Have a house in Sylvania, the area is lovely especially along the Georges River and the shopping (Miranda) is good. There is a train line here and loads of holiday activities for the children (schools seem good, friendly with high standards). The character of our particular area reminds me of Florida and its quite 'squeeky clean' as I said in another post i feel a bit like a Stepford Wife, but for us, renting and at this time its perfect. Good luck and PM me if you need details
Hmmm - that sounds ideal! I've seen a lot of negative postings about Kellyville - cramped, souless etc. That doesnt apply to Sutherland Shire does it?
Old Jul 6th 2004, 2:18 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NedKelly63
Hmmm - that sounds ideal! I've seen a lot of negative postings about Kellyville - cramped, souless etc. That doesnt apply to Sutherland Shire does it?
its a strange forum sometimes. about 4 months ago i was asking for places to live in sydney, not one bad reply about kellyville. now they all start popping up
Old Jul 6th 2004, 2:26 pm
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice

Originally posted by soapy
its a strange forum sometimes. about 4 months ago i was asking for places to live in sydney, not one bad reply about kellyville. now they all start popping up
soapy i think you may need help getting you away from the keyboard.
i think they must hypnotise us some how cause i think i'm coming down with the same
LOL

andy
looking forward to that free beer mate
Old Jul 6th 2004, 2:28 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where to live near Sydney

This would take you out as far west as Katoomba, in the Blue Mountains, if you use the train to get in (which isn't too bad.) By car, forget it! The western M4 falls over most mornings. I live in,,,, )
Katoomba loks great! So this is just an hour from Sydney on the train? Anyone have info on schools etc
Old Jul 6th 2004, 2:30 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by woody1974
soapy i think you may need help getting you away from the keyboard.
i think they must hypnotise us some how cause i think i'm coming down with the same
LOL

andy
looking forward to that free beer mate
i just need help mate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.