Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to go to? Cairns? Brisbane? Perth?

Where to go to? Cairns? Brisbane? Perth?

Old Sep 16th 2014, 6:46 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to go to? Cairns? Brisbane? Perth?

Originally Posted by Indibaby
Places that other have suggested were Buderim, Mooloolaba, Little Mountain & Sippy Downs.
I lived in Cairns for 9 years. It is a beautiful place and meets your criteria in most ways. There are some good schools, quiet suburbs, it's not a big city and it's family friendly. The weather is terrific for most of the year however roofing is one of the last jobs I would want to do there.

I knew several tradies and the weather is not conducive with the building industry. The monsoonal rains prevent any work for several days and even weeks and the humidity and direct sunlight are killers for roofers. Think in terms of having to drink water until you feel ill yet still de-hydrating and working in sopping wet clothes all day.

I relocated to South East Queensland last year and lived on the Redcliffe Peninsula for a few months while assessing where we wanted to live. Gold Coast and Brisbane are very, very busy and we have ended up on the quieter Sunshine Coast.

My experience here is of course limited so far but it looks like it also meets your criteria. Forget Mooloolaba as it is very much a holiday resort place. Like what I've seen and heard of Buderim. Mountain Creek is another growing suburb for families.

Workwise the Sunshine Coast may offer some good construction employment over the next few years as there are some very large projects coming up in addition to house building growth.
eg Maroochydore have taken over a golf course to build a new town centre, Birtinya area hospital, industrial park and town centre.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I thought roofers were qualified plumbers here?
Not sure how that aligns with roofing in UK.

And I agree- good weather? Ha. My husband sometimes does roof insulation. Days over 35 deg mean 45deg inside a roof space so he cannot work. Pulling the roof off in stupid temps is draining.
And that's in Vic where the weather (we are told) is colder.

We live in Melbourne, about 10kms from CBD and it is a very quiet suburb. You could never leave, so looking for a country town can sometimes be unnecessary.

And seek.com.au? I am convinced 90pct of jobs on there are made up. I have been applying for loads and mostly get no response. Only interaction I have had is direct with agents for roles not on seek.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
I thought roofers were qualified plumbers here?
Not sure how that aligns with roofing in UK.

And I agree- good weather? Ha. My husband sometimes does roof insulation. Days over 35 deg mean 45deg inside a roof space so he cannot work. Pulling the roof off in stupid temps is draining.
And that's in Vic where the weather (we are told) is colder.

We live in Melbourne, about 10kms from CBD and it is a very quiet suburb. You could never leave, so looking for a country town can sometimes be unnecessary.

And seek.com.au? I am convinced 90pct of jobs on there are made up. I have been applying for loads and mostly get no response. Only interaction I have had is direct with agents for roles not on seek.
Ain't that the truth!
Old Sep 21st 2014, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Alborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to all

I think it's useful to figure out your top 3 or 4 priorities and go from there. It'll make deciding easier. For me:

1. I love the beach\ocean so want to enjoy that all year round with easy access to surfing, swimming etc. (walk or short drive)
2. Temperate climate. Nice warm summer but not too cold a winter
3. I want to live somewhere that is cosmopolitan with lots going on
4. I want to live somewhere where I can get a well paid job for my skills

Any negatives that come along with the above eg. high cost of living, noise, traffic etc. I am willing to put up with.

I chose Sydney. Neither Melbourne, Perth, Cairns or Brisbane fitted all of the above although some came closer than others.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

We are still here in Hervey Bay, alive and uneaten :-)
Old Nov 5th 2014, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minibelle
We are still here in Hervey Bay, alive and uneaten :-)
Old Nov 5th 2014, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Indibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to all

We've decided on Sunshine Coast - just gotta decide where on the Sunshine Coast now!