Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to go to? Cairns? Brisbane? Perth?

Where to go to? Cairns? Brisbane? Perth?

Old Sep 9th 2014, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to go to? Cairns? Brisbane? Perth?

Originally Posted by Indibaby
Ok. I do appreciate the advice that has been given.
My perception of some of the replies may have been wrong, but came across as narky, which doesn't help anyone & takes things off topic.
I admittedly have lots of research to do.
This forum was one of the first expat ones I used, perhaps I should've done more research before posting on here.
We would only move somewhere that work is available for us, I had been looking on seek, as suggested by others, but perhaps I need to look elsewhere if it's not as reputable as some would suggest.
I will also start looking at more southern areas.
Thanks again & sorry if I've came across as arsey, it's a stressful thing this preparing to emigrate, as you'll all know.
No worries. It is a stressful time indeed, and don't despair. We've all been through that at some point. Research is really good and you will get advice on here too, which will hopefully help.

The more you read and discuss, the better your decisions will be.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 11:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. I do appreciate the advice that has been given.
My perception of some of the replies may have been wrong, but came across as narky, which doesn't help anyone & takes things off topic.
I admittedly have lots of research to do.
This forum was one of the first expat ones I used, perhaps I should've done more research before posting on here.
We would only move somewhere that work is available for us, I had been looking on seek, as suggested by others, but perhaps I need to look elsewhere if it's not as reputable as some would suggest.
I will also start looking at more southern areas.
Thanks again & sorry if I've came across as arsey, it's a stressful thing this preparing to emigrate, as you'll all know.
And if you do get really arsey replies at any time, just laugh at them rather than getting irritated. As you say it's a stressful thing, take your laughs where you can. Most of the arsey answers will be in fun anyway (apart from the arsey ones that are just arsey).

No such thing as a dumb question, they're just ones you don't yet know the answer to. Unfortunately our search facility isn't working properly so asking is the best way at the moment.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
And if you do get really arsey replies at any time, just laugh at them rather than getting irritated. As you say it's a stressful thing, take your laughs where you can. Most of the arsey answers will be in fun anyway (apart from the arsey ones that are just arsey).

No such thing as a dumb question, they're just ones you don't yet know the answer to. Unfortunately our search facility isn't working properly so asking is the best way at the moment.
+1

Was that research facility?

Last edited by Alfresco; Sep 9th 2014 at 11:24 am.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Indibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to all

I've been in touch with a visa agency who have said there should be no issues with our application & we should go for a 189 skilled independent visa. They said to look at employment in Queensland & South Australia.
We haven't yet completed the EOI
Old Sep 9th 2014, 11:38 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

You can't complete EOI until you have a valid skills assessment (and IELTS if you need one)' just concentrate on passing the skills assessment first
Old Sep 9th 2014, 11:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in touch with a visa agency who have said there should be no issues with our application & we should go for a 189 skilled independent visa. They said to look at employment in Queensland & South Australia.
We haven't yet completed the EOI
Check out the Immi Forum, stacks of info there and people going through the same process all willing to support you. Also presumably you've read the official info on the DIBP site. Many people do the whole process themselves without agents (which can save some money). Is your agent MARA registered? Don't stay with the one you have if they're not.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Indibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to all

We're both native English speakers so don't think we need IELTS?
Hubby has an NVQ lv2 in roofing. Agency said that was ok? They made no mention of skills assessment. I haven't paid them any money yet though, just emails back & forth. It's "Visa Bureau Australia" I'm sure I read they were MARA registered.
I'll have a good look from the Immi Forum, thanks
Old Sep 9th 2014, 12:23 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

It's easy enough to do the process with the help of this forum without paying extra to an agent unless you have medical issues or criminal convictions. The skills assessment is your first thing, if you need more points then yes, like many other native speakers, you may have to do IELTS. As suggested have a look at the immigration forum, wealth of information!
Old Sep 9th 2014, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Yep I'll have a good look through there tonight, many thanks!
Old Sep 9th 2014, 12:40 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

No worries, as said if your case is straightforward without medical or criminal issues than you can do it on your own as long as you research, research and learn!
Old Sep 9th 2014, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

I'd much prefer not to use an agent but was advised to as hubby has a criminal record from 14 years ago, drunk & disorderly.
Agents said that is a minor offence & shouldn't affect application.
I was concerned though as I read somewhere if you've ever received a suspended sentence they class it as a prison sentence & would refuse entry.
But then I read somewhere else they only look at convictions in the last 10 years?
Old Sep 9th 2014, 12:53 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

They look at all convictions but unless he had prison sentence, especially longer than 12 mths, he should be ok with good character references. HowevEr more knowledgable people will come along shortly. Or ask this question in the immigration section where several agents give general advice on their own time (however if you want to question then further, expect to pay for services provided)
Old Sep 9th 2014, 12:56 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Some people in the past who had convictions were advised to add a letter saying how sorry they were,they were young and stupid,haven't been in any trouble since,now a family man blah blah.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Ok great, thanks!
Old Sep 13th 2014, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

I'd much prefer not to use an agent but was advised to as hubby has a criminal record from 14 years ago, drunk & disorderly.
Agents said that is a minor offence & shouldn't affect application.
I was concerned though as I read somewhere if you've ever received a suspended sentence they class it as a prison sentence & would refuse entry.
But then I read somewhere else they only look at convictions in the last 10 years?
Your hubby wont have had a suspended sentence for drunk and disorderly and an old d&d conviction from years ago will likely make no difference to your application.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.