Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where do we get UK size mattress in Perth?

Where do we get UK size mattress in Perth?

Old Nov 20th 2010, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all
Default Where do we get UK size mattress in Perth?

Hiya...........

We've looked in Forty Winks, Bedshed... all the normal places to get beds/mattresses from, but their sizes here seem different (slightly bigger by a few cm) compared to UK size mattresses.

Does anyone know where we can get UK size mattress SOR?

Thankss!!
Old Nov 20th 2010, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do we get UK size mattress in Perth?

If you are planning to stay in Australia: Buy a new Australian bed with an Australian mattress. We love our King size bed - we even bought one for the guest bed room now.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

You're in Australia now...
Old Nov 20th 2010, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ice mocha
Hiya...........

We've looked in Forty Winks, Bedshed... all the normal places to get beds/mattresses from, but their sizes here seem different (slightly bigger by a few cm) compared to UK size mattresses.

Thankss!!
Maybe someone on here or another expat site would sell you one...some people would have bought their mattresses with them but no longer need them?
Old Nov 20th 2010, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

We bought an Aussie queen sized mattress for our king sized UK bed frame. Yes it's a tiny bit bigger but still fits the bed base. My UK fitted sheets still fit as well all be it a bit tight to get over the corners of the mattress but once they're fine.

Alison x
Old Nov 20th 2010, 2:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al150n
We bought an Aussie queen sized mattress for our king sized UK bed frame. Yes it's a tiny bit bigger but still fits the bed base. My UK fitted sheets still fit as well all be it a bit tight to get over the corners of the mattress but once they're fine.

Alison x
Its only a few cm different isn't it, I find the same with fitted sheets, and with duvet covers, the couple of cm don't make enough difference for it to matter
Old Nov 20th 2010, 3:02 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ice mocha
Hiya...........

Thankss!!
What a shame you live so far away as I will be selling my UK bed very shortly.......bit far to ship to WA !!!
Old Nov 20th 2010, 6:49 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you had a look for custom made mattresses or made to measure mattresses on google?
Old Nov 20th 2010, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its only a few cm different isn't it, I find the same with fitted sheets, and with duvet covers, the couple of cm don't make enough difference for it to matter
Yep found the same with the duvet covers. The only sheet that I can't get to fit our new mattress is my old but favourite brush cotton one which I think has shrunk a bit in the wash over the years & there was no way it would fit I'm sure the kids won't mind having it on their beds though.

As for where to buy from we got our mattress from Fantastic Furniture.

Alison x
Old Nov 20th 2010, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

Thanks everyone... believe it or not... we found Ikea to have UK size mattresses!! Never even thought... LOL

We will probably buy Australian size later on as they are bigger but for now... we'll stay put as our container has just docked today!! So should get our stuff very very soon....
Old Nov 20th 2010, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

A double mattress is the same in the UK and Australia, as is a single mattress. It must be just the kings and queens which are different
Old Nov 20th 2010, 2:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunshine7
A double mattress is the same in the UK and Australia, as is a single mattress. It must be just the kings and queens which are different
UK King is approx equivalent to an Aus Queen
Old Nov 21st 2010, 12:23 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

We have chucked out the UK beds bought with us and changed over onto queen size instead, the rooms are bigger here and the extra space is kinda nice when the summer hits. Plus I can have a selection of bedding to fit every bed in the house, no need for other sizes etc.

A quick word on Ikea, yes they do the same size but if you ever buy aussie bedding it just doesn't fit. I bought queen duvets in Perth Ikea and they are certainly not the same size as the Aussie queen bedding covers to go on it. The length isnt there and slightly more narrow.

I have just measured an Aussie purchased queen bed and an Ikea purchased queen and both are the same size so just a bedding issue I think. Both 5ft wide by 6ft 8in long.

I think on the whole just buy when you arrive, as everybody I know got rid of the UK ones and bought bigger when they arrived.

Jenny
Old Nov 21st 2010, 8:29 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
UK King is approx equivalent to an Aus Queen
If Charles ever becomes king, that statement will make a lot of sense!
Old Nov 21st 2010, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standar...ercial_bedding is useful. Ikea in UK use EU sizes obv. Ikea in Aus use a mix of Aus and EU sizes - some beds (I think MALM) in Aus are in EU mattress size or similar.

We had this issue with an Ikea bed we shipped over - the bed frame broke so we had to find a bed that would fit our Ikea 160x200 mattress. Got the Malm at Ikea in Logan so all good.