British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Where do we get UK size mattress in Perth? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/where-do-we-get-uk-size-mattress-perth-694183/)

ice mocha Nov 20th 2010 2:08 am

Where do we get UK size mattress in Perth?

Hiya...........

We've looked in Forty Winks, Bedshed... all the normal places to get beds/mattresses from, but their sizes here seem different (slightly bigger by a few cm) compared to UK size mattresses.

Does anyone know where we can get UK size mattress SOR?

Thankss!!

ozhappy981 Nov 20th 2010 2:20 am

Re: Where do we get UK size mattress in Perth?

If you are planning to stay in Australia: Buy a new Australian bed with an Australian mattress. We love our King size bed - we even bought one for the guest bed room now.

roaringmouse Nov 20th 2010 2:22 am

You're in Australia now...

fish.01 Nov 20th 2010 2:29 am

Originally Posted by ice mocha (Post 8992895)
Hiya...........

We've looked in Forty Winks, Bedshed... all the normal places to get beds/mattresses from, but their sizes here seem different (slightly bigger by a few cm) compared to UK size mattresses.

Thankss!!

Maybe someone on here or another expat site would sell you one...some people would have bought their mattresses with them but no longer need them?

al150n Nov 20th 2010 2:38 am

We bought an Aussie queen sized mattress for our king sized UK bed frame. Yes it's a tiny bit bigger but still fits the bed base. My UK fitted sheets still fit as well all be it a bit tight to get over the corners of the mattress but once they're fine.

Alison x

Pollyana Nov 20th 2010 2:47 am

Originally Posted by al150n (Post 8992927)
We bought an Aussie queen sized mattress for our king sized UK bed frame. Yes it's a tiny bit bigger but still fits the bed base. My UK fitted sheets still fit as well all be it a bit tight to get over the corners of the mattress but once they're fine.

Alison x

Its only a few cm different isn't it, I find the same with fitted sheets, and with duvet covers, the couple of cm don't make enough difference for it to matter :)

Beedubya Nov 20th 2010 3:02 am

Originally Posted by ice mocha (Post 8992895)
Hiya...........

Thankss!!

What a shame you live so far away as I will be selling my UK bed very shortly.......bit far to ship to WA !!! :blink:

MartinLuther Nov 20th 2010 6:49 am

Have you had a look for custom made mattresses or made to measure mattresses on google?

al150n Nov 20th 2010 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8992934)
Its only a few cm different isn't it, I find the same with fitted sheets, and with duvet covers, the couple of cm don't make enough difference for it to matter :)

Yep found the same with the duvet covers. The only sheet that I can't get to fit our new mattress is my old but favourite brush cotton one which I think has shrunk a bit in the wash over the years & there was no way it would fit :( I'm sure the kids won't mind having it on their beds though.

As for where to buy from we got our mattress from Fantastic Furniture.

Alison x

ice mocha Nov 20th 2010 1:07 pm

Thanks everyone... believe it or not... we found Ikea to have UK size mattresses!! Never even thought... LOL

We will probably buy Australian size later on as they are bigger :) but for now... we'll stay put as our container has just docked today!! So should get our stuff very very soon.... :thumbup:

Sunshine7 Nov 20th 2010 1:54 pm

A double mattress is the same in the UK and Australia, as is a single mattress. It must be just the kings and queens which are different :)

Pollyana Nov 20th 2010 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Sunshine7 (Post 8993594)
A double mattress is the same in the UK and Australia, as is a single mattress. It must be just the kings and queens which are different :)

UK King is approx equivalent to an Aus Queen :)

jensteve Nov 21st 2010 12:23 pm

We have chucked out the UK beds bought with us and changed over onto queen size instead, the rooms are bigger here and the extra space is kinda nice when the summer hits. Plus I can have a selection of bedding to fit every bed in the house, no need for other sizes etc.

A quick word on Ikea, yes they do the same size but if you ever buy aussie bedding it just doesn't fit. I bought queen duvets in Perth Ikea and they are certainly not the same size as the Aussie queen bedding covers to go on it. The length isnt there and slightly more narrow.

I have just measured an Aussie purchased queen bed and an Ikea purchased queen and both are the same size so just a bedding issue I think. Both 5ft wide by 6ft 8in long.

I think on the whole just buy when you arrive, as everybody I know got rid of the UK ones and bought bigger when they arrived.

Jenny

KJCherokee Nov 21st 2010 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8993649)
UK King is approx equivalent to an Aus Queen :)

If Charles ever becomes king, that statement will make a lot of sense!

James516 Nov 21st 2010 9:38 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standar...ercial_bedding is useful. Ikea in UK use EU sizes obv. Ikea in Aus use a mix of Aus and EU sizes - some beds (I think MALM) in Aus are in EU mattress size or similar.

We had this issue with an Ikea bed we shipped over - the bed frame broke so we had to find a bed that would fit our Ikea 160x200 mattress. Got the Malm at Ikea in Logan so all good.