Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

when to put in p85?

when to put in p85?

Old Aug 24th 2007, 6:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when to put in p85?

Originally Posted by wmoore
You need to wait until you become tax resident here before filling in the P85. That is basically the day you land
No you don't. Hubby sent his off on the afternoon of receiving his P45, we hadn't left the country.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 6:55 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
No you don't. Hubby sent his off on the afternoon of receiving his P45, we hadn't left the country.
OK I take it all back and stand (sit) corrected, little miss bloody know all

I was thinking along the lines of you shouldn't send it until you are not eligible to pay any more tax but I guess because you're after a refund, the IR will do this whenever and if you don't claim all your entitlements that's your own lookout.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 7:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
OK I take it all back and stand (sit) corrected, little miss bloody know all
Funny, my hubby calls me that as well
Old Aug 25th 2007, 3:57 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypen20
We did to. Even received all the tax back we had paid in the tax year. Refund was received before we had left the country.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 4:31 am
Just Joined

cornish is an unknown quantity at this point

I sent mine end feb and was stunned they still cant tell me what stage it has reached or when i will receive written acknowledgement.phoned them again this week and was advised it had moved onto another dept but they couldnt put me through:curse:
Originally Posted by gobbyjock
P85 allows you to try and claim claim any tax you may have overpaid to UK taxman - we left UK in June, the new financial year starts 1st April, I can`t remember what my tax threshold was but obviously only being a month into the fin year I earned under that threshold, so should get back the tax paid between 1st April and me leaving the country (hope that makes sense). Im pretty sure I had to wait for my P45 from my employer before I could send my P85 back, I wouldn`t hold you breath though because I`ve been waiting over 8 weeks now and still nothing. They have a backlog at the tax office apparently
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

This is the third time I've claimed for tax paid with a P85... got to say it's great getting tax BACK from those buggers. Anyway, I have filled them in after I have finished my job bt before I have left the UK, and have never had a problem getting the £££ I'm owed. It would make sense that you would have to wait until a P45 has been issued, but it's never something I've thought about & have always got what is owed...

So everyone please, download your P85s and spend your hard earned cash on Aussie beer & wine instead of shiny new never to be used nuclear subs!!!

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85.pdf
Old Aug 25th 2007, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

mum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to all

Does anyone know how this would work for self employed persons.

Do you get a p45 when you close down your business?

thanks guys

Old Aug 25th 2007, 2:18 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mum01753
Does anyone know how this would work for self employed persons.

Do you get a p45 when you close down your business
No, you don't get a P45 when you're self-employed.

If you're self-employed you pay tax through completing the tax self-assessment return. When you've closed down your business, you still need to do the tax return. The return calculates tax due/overpaid and you then pay it or get a refund. There is a box on the return where you can specify whether you want it paid into a bank account or a cheque sent.

Gina
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

mum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GinaUK
No, you don't get a P45 when you're self-employed.

If you're self-employed you pay tax through completing the tax self-assessment return. When you've closed down your business, you still need to do the tax return. The return calculates tax due/overpaid and you then pay it or get a refund. There is a box on the return where you can specify whether you want it paid into a bank account or a cheque sent.

Gina
Thanks for the info Gina
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Rach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really nice

Does anyone know the address you send it off to. On my form it says send to above address, however this is blank as we downloaded our form fom the internet?

Denis.