Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

when to put in p85?

when to put in p85?

Old Aug 18th 2007, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all
Default when to put in p85?

Just a quickie!

I will be leaving the UK 9th sept and won't get my final wage in the uk until the 24th. Am I correct in thinking that I should wait to put in a p85 until after my final wage or do you HAVE to do it when you leave?
Ta.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when to put in p85?

Originally Posted by mooncat
Just a quickie!

I will be leaving the UK 9th sept and won't get my final wage in the uk until the 24th. Am I correct in thinking that I should wait to put in a p85 until after my final wage or do you HAVE to do it when you leave?
Ta.

whats a P85?????????
Old Aug 18th 2007, 10:43 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

P85 allows you to try and claim claim any tax you may have overpaid to UK taxman - we left UK in June, the new financial year starts 1st April, I can`t remember what my tax threshold was but obviously only being a month into the fin year I earned under that threshold, so should get back the tax paid between 1st April and me leaving the country (hope that makes sense). Im pretty sure I had to wait for my P45 from my employer before I could send my P85 back, I wouldn`t hold you breath though because I`ve been waiting over 8 weeks now and still nothing. They have a backlog at the tax office apparently
Old Aug 18th 2007, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
whats a P85?????????
here's a selection from Google-which one do you think may be relevant to expat brits?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/r_and_d.htm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...t=AbstractPlus

http://www.grips4guns.com/pistol/ruger/p85.html

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/interpro/IEntry?ac=IPR003113

http://www.epitomics.com/products/1078-1.php
Old Aug 18th 2007, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

Just another question to add...on the p85 forms, in the part where it says they will send it directly to you and you have to provide an address, can I put in my dad's address in the UK?
Old Aug 18th 2007, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Just another question to add...on the p85 forms, in the part where it says they will send it directly to you and you have to provide an address, can I put in my dad's address in the UK?

When we left we nomitated my MIL to receive the payment, it went straight into her bank account. There was a section on the form somewhere.

Just looked; it's section 6. They'll either pay it into the bank, or send them a cheque if you fill in the bank details. They can then send it on to you.

Last edited by Wendy; Aug 18th 2007 at 11:53 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

We got here in April, I definitely overpaid my taxes in 06-07, still haven't filled out any forms yet.... hope I can still do it!
Also haven't declared myself non-taxpaying to my banks either, will they repay whatever tax they have taken from my interest so far in the 07-08 year? Hope so!
Really need to get all of that sorted out....
Old Aug 19th 2007, 1:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely need your P45 and we have kept a UK account open for rellies to pay money in as gifts for the girls so the money went straight into there.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys - i didnt know about this! Another note to make in my little black book for when the time comes
Old Aug 19th 2007, 11:38 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
1. We got here in April, I definitely overpaid my taxes in 06-07, still haven't filled out any forms yet.... hope I can still do it!

2. Also haven't declared myself non-taxpaying to my banks either, will they repay whatever tax they have taken from my interest so far in the 07-08 year?
1. Yes, you can still fill out the forms and get back any overpaid tax.

2. No, the banks won't pay back the tax they've taken from your interest. Banks aren't allowed to do that. Instead you put it on the forms you send back to HMRC (the taxman) and you'll get it back that way.

Gina
Old Aug 19th 2007, 11:45 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

You need to wait until you become tax resident here before filling in the P85. That is basically the day you land
Old Aug 19th 2007, 1:39 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by esperanza
We got here in April, I definitely overpaid my taxes in 06-07, still haven't filled out any forms yet.... hope I can still do it!
Also haven't declared myself non-taxpaying to my banks either, will they repay whatever tax they have taken from my interest so far in the 07-08 year? Hope so!
Really need to get all of that sorted out....
I think you will find that any over payment of tax on bank interest will not be repaid.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 2:54 pm
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

counting down the days till I can send my P85.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:52 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Just a quickie!

Ta.
As soon as you get your P45 from your employer which should be with your final payslip you can send your P85 off.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray2gill
I think you will find that any over payment of tax on bank interest will not be repaid.
Bugger! Thieving gits!

(Thanks for advice though!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.